New Bolt owner, first impressions

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Redoctobyr, May 8, 2017.

1. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008

Advertisements

Like many people, I bought a Bolt with the Lifetime-transfer promotion. It, and a Mini, are replacing my pair of Series 2s.

After using it for a few days, I thought I'd share some early impressions, and hopefully have a chance to learn some things about the unit.

- The speedy interface is a nice change from the Series 2, and of course being in HD is a big improvement.
    - The RF remote is cool, being able to point it anywhere while controlling the TiVo is handy.
    - I find the shows list to be slightly cluttered, with a lot of options (MLB, Hulu, etc) that I don't subscribe to, and can't/won't use. If there is a way to hide the ones that I don't use, that would be nice.
    - Having 4 tuners is great. I sort of wish it would show a designation for which tuner I'm viewing, but maybe it doesn't really matter. I'm getting used to the interface for selecting the tuner you want to see, I didn't immediately realize that the multi-tuners view appears to just show the *other* tuners, rather than showing all 4, and highlighting the one you're watching.
    - Having Netflix and Plex integrated (the only 2 apps I've tried) is a nice benefit.
    - I'm learning about One Passes, I don't know what it does if I specify Recordings and Streaming, vs just Recordings. I'm used to Season Passes.
    - My Bolt's fan is quiet, though I understand that some are quite loud.
    - The fast network speeds are a great improvement vs the Series 2.
    - I wish the Mini could access shows stored on a PC or a different TiVo, by it making the Bolt transfer the show, and stream it to the Mini.

I'm happy with the upgrade so far, hopefully it will stay that way.

Fant likes this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not sure the exact location on a Bolt, but you are looking for "Add & Manage Video Apps". It may be to the right of "Find", and at the bottom. It was part of Channels too. Just uncheck what you don't use.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You can also get rid of the third column in the shows listing.

4. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Thanks!

To help others, I found it under Settings & Messages, then User Preferences, then Add & Manage Video Apps. Also, in User Preferences, you can customize what's shown in the Discovery Bar, which seems to be the horizontal strip across the top of the screen.

You mean the one on the left? It seems that you can control that one by pressing 'A', then going to "[Show Categories]", and customizing or hiding it. I added "Recordings", so I can see a view of just what's actually saved on the TiVo itself.