New Bolt: How to prevent live TV window on Home page?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by DDMak, Nov 17, 2017.

1. DDMak

DDMak New Member

Nov 17, 2017

Advertisements

Hi, all. First timer here.

I just set up a new 3TB Bolt after the sudden demise the Series 3 HD I had for more than a decade.

There's a learning curve, to be sure. The new interface, for instance is going to take some getting used to.

Here's my first question:

On the Home page (what seems to be the equivalent of the old TiVo Central starting screen), there's always a live TV window yapping away in the upper right.

Is there any way to prevent that?

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    From TiVo Central, Settings & Messages->User Preferences turn Video Window off. I think there is an easier way... yeah, just hit the |> button (slow-mo play) to toggle the window on and off.

3. DDMak

DDMak New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Well, that was a quick answer!

Now that live TV isn't yapping at me right from the start, it's going to be a lot more pleasurable to explore the menus, where I might have eventually found this for myself.

Thanks for saving me the trouble this time.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You could also turn the volume down?

Or pause playback?

-KP

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Or just hit the mute button?

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. DDMak

DDMak New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Neither muting nor pause solve my problem (well, preference). Either is an extra step I no longer have to take.

I'm much happier now that the live TV window isn't there at all, which is the result of the first answer offered above.

Anyway, the odds of whatever's in that window being something I want to watch are pretty small. So there's no upside (for me) to having it there.

I recognize that maybe this is just my quirk. But I'll bet I'm not alone, and am glad there was such an easy fix.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Note, you cannot remove it when in the guide. I like it when i think of performing an action and don't want to wait it pause the show. I turn it on and off often.

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I guess I just don't understand why you put on a show you don't want to watch...anyway, glad it's now working how you like.

-KP

9. DDMak

DDMak New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    After changing my preferences as suggested, the live TV window doesn't show in the guide either -- which is also a good thing, IMO.

I'm not "putting on a show that I don't want to watch"; the TiVo was doing that. And now it's not. :)

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Really? Wow, I think that's one of the 1st things I've heard about Hydra that I would like if that's the case. I despise the "spoiler" window and have always wished I could get rid of it permanently, but it always has been present with the guide.

11. DDMak

DDMak New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    I'm a newbie, but I'm pretty sure what I'm looking at is "Hydra." And yes, I can confirm you can get rid of the live TV window on the guide.

moyekj likes this.