New Bolt Can't Find Other Devices - Media Key Menu Option Missing

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bob61, Jan 23, 2020.

1. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Tivo sent me a replacement Bolt (prior unit had a bad tuner). I have another Tivo Bolt on my network. After setting up the replacement my replacement Bolt can't see my other Bolt (Under "Watching -> Devices". And my other Bolt can't see my replacement Bolt. When I select "Devices" I get an message that there are no compatible networked devices.

I've called Tivo twice now, did what they suggested, waited and did force connects and still nothing. How I dread having to ever talk to Tivo support as they clearly don't understand the basics of how a Tivo operates and only go from a script. That's fine for someone with a simple problem, but step outside that area and they are lost.

Anyways, I digress. What I did notice, my Replacement Bolt does not have an option in the menu for "Media Access Key". So has me thinking without that MAK it won't communicate, but there is no option in the menu, which is strange. When I look on my original Bolt, under "ACCOUNT AND SYSTEM INFO" it has "System Information" followed my "Media Access Key" in the menu. on my replacement it is missing the "Media Access Key" option.

Here's what I see on the replacement Bolt (note missing MAK option and Video Provider Accounts option):
    [​IMG]

And here's what I see on my original Bolt:

[​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

BTW, the replacement Bolt shows in my account when I login to Tivo.com, so it's already linked to my account - or so it should be.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's bad. How do you feel about a C&DE?

I predict you will be sending this box back.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Confirm that this newer Tivo Bolt's service number is correct in your tivo.com account.
    Next, confirm under DVR Preferences, that it has transfers/sharing enabled.

4. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I've already done that. It's new box so other than another hour or so of wasted time, not that big a deal. But didn't help. Thanks!

5. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I've confirmed. I've changed the name of the unit and Tivo has reflected that on my account. And I see the box in my Tivo app. So appears all is connected and communicating the changes.

And twice now, I've confirmed with Tivo CSR that the "transfer/sharing" is enabled. They had me disable the Video Sharing, then turn it back on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    As update, I talked with a 3rd CSR, explained to her that the Media Access Key option was missing, she didn't understand what I was talking about. I let her walk through her script, did a little bit of this, did a little bit of that, and nothing. And then the CSR says that a missing Media Access Key could be the problem. Um, ding-ding-ding.... that's what I said at the start of the call. SMH - can you tell I'm frustrated :)

So the CSR went and huddled with someone, came back to my call and said they were going to reset my MAK and that should then reset all the boxes. Will take 24 hours to cycle through. Guess we'll see. My confidence that this will fix anything is LOW.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Mikeguy likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's sounding like one of those "group" errors. They usually get fixed.

8. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Sounds more like a fuster cluck, and those usually involve me spending more time on phone with reps that have never used the product and don't even understand the basics. :( Sorry, just feeling grumpy as previosuly it took 3 calls for Tivo to finally understand that tuner in the Bolt they replaced had a bad tuner. They wanted me to change out network cable to maybe solve the problem. I was like, we've done a half dozen connections to the Tivo server while on calls, so why would you think the network cable was bad. OMG! I had already done all the troubleshooting for them, laid it all out on a silver platter, but because they had no idea what the product operated, they were clueless. Finally after nearly an hour of the circus they call call support I just said to escalate the matter. 15 minutes later spoke with someone who slowly got my point and that box needed replacement. And then the box I receive can't even connect to my other Bolt, and now spent another hour + on three different calls with CSR's that have no understanding, well just frustrating.

9. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    As an updated, I followed the Tivo instructions. Didn't fix the problems.

But I'm making progress.... I found this very old message, and followed the suggestions. After a lot of connections and reboots I was finally able to get the replacement Bolt to at least show the Media Access Key. Unfortunately, it's still unable to see my other Bolt. I see under the System Information screen, the TivoToGo is "a,i,a,i", it should be "a,a,a,a". So now to investigate what's ailing this thing, probably will need to all Tivo CSR again :(

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Mini is always i,a,i,a. You can affect the first character with the device preferences by unchecking "Video Preferences". The second i may be affected by the "Enable Video Downloads", but it has no affect (since 2014) but may be reactivated in the future. Those boxes are labeled "N/A" for a Mini since a Mini (A92, A93, and A95) connected to TE3 or TE4 always have i,a,i,a. A non-Mini should have a,a,a,a or it cannot transfer a program from TiVo. It does not affect streaming/watching the program.

Changing the device preferences takes several hours and a service connections. I seems there are more than one TiVo server involved. Simple test. Uncheck the box on TiVo.com and check the TTG after 24 hours.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  11. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Yeah, Mini's don't have their own tuner, so could be the first and third are somehow related to that. But on Mini, the 2nd and 4th are set to "a" ("i,a,i,a). On this Bolt it's "a,i,a,i". And yeah, I've toggled the video preferences boxes, if I uncheck the Bolt shows up as "i,i,i,i", and no MAK option. This actually updates quickly, no need to wait 24 hours. I saved on the PC, did a connection and power cycle of Bolt and it reflected the change. If I then recheck those Video Preference options, I do a forced connection and reboot the Tivotogo is "a,i,a,i"

Summary:
    Mini -> i,a,i,a
    Replacement Bolt -> a,i,a,i (after changing video options back)
    My existing Bolt -> a,a,a,a

I seem to recall many, many years ago I had this with my Roamio initially and required Tivo to do something on their end. The struggle continues.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your existing Bolt is correct. Your Mini is correct. Lack of an option in a menu is something only TiVo can correct. Uncheck the right "File Transfer" option in Device Preferences. You will not see any changes anywhere. Do you remember when it was possible to download programs from Amazon? That's where that option came from.

13. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    When my Replacement Bolt is "a,i,a,i" it has the MAK option, so that's not the problem. It has the correct MAK too. You know and I know this something that only Tivo can fix on their end, but try conveying that to the CSR who just reads from a script and makes suggestions to reboot the Tivo (duh!) or even replacing the network cable as solutions. They don't understand what the Tivotogo settings are, let alone what they mean. Shouldn't take 4 calls to get a replacement Bolt that Tivo sent to me to connect to other devices for MRV. SMH

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This is the kind of problem that @TiVo_Ted should handle. He's "VP of Consumer Products & Services". I guess we don't qualify as consumers. When Margret was here these are the things she would get fixed.

15. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Maybe @TiVo_Ted will see this. In mean time, I'll have to build up the stamina to endure another hour call of scripted questions and suggestions that are so basic and don't solve the problem. Thanks! Have a great weekend.

Mikeguy and JoeKustra like this.
  16. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    As an update..... had my morning coffee and I was ready to tackle the Tivo CSR. I got a CSR that actually wanted to listen.... she looked into what I told her and what do you know.... there's a configuration setting that's missing on my replacement box for MRV support. I asked for more detail and was told it's a code MI (for missing information) - OK.... This requires the issue to be escalated, was asked to give it 2-3 days to be resolved. So fingers crossed.

Mikeguy likes this.
  17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps the best advice. :) (Also, doing controlled, deep breathing before making the call.)

Hope the latest works for you.

18. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    So, I gave it a week, problem not resolved. I'm busy with other things and just don't have the time to call back until today. Had to build up the patience to talk with Tivo CSR, but dove back in. Long story short, the CSR checks and finds that the previous rep didn't properly submit ticket so it wasn't escalated. So back in the queue hoping that in 2-3 more days MAYBE something will be done. SMH

19. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How to add a new Tivo DVR to your account so they can connect and talk to each other:

After adding the new Tivo to your account and subscribed to Tivo service,
    • Go to DVR Preferences.
    • Check all boxes for sharing and transfers. [Save] @bottom.
    • Connect to Tivo service on ALL your Tivo boxes, new and old. (Settings / Network / Connect to Tivo Service)
    • The new box might need to be rebooted.

20. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Yep, did all that, and then some. Actually, it was all checked to begin with, then unchecked, waited, forced connection, checked it, waited, forced connection, and we'll still nothing. It did force the MAK to sync up, but still shows under system information screen that TivoToGo setting is a,i,a,i. Hoping to see a,a,a,a soon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk