New Bolt able to access old 2TB external drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by ralphedel, Jul 18, 2020.

1. ralphedel

ralphedel New Member

Feb 1, 2009

Advertisements

My Bolt died and is being replaced with another one. Does anyone know if the new unit will be able to see and playback the shows recorded on the 2TB drive hooked up to the old Bolt? Is there something I can do to make that possible? It is not the end of the world if those programs are lost I realize but it would be nice if I could still access them. THANKS

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    No way.

The drives are 'married'.

Around here, it's mostly recommended to just increase the internal drive size as opposed to adding one of those troublesome tiny external drives.

-KP

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    MAYBE - it depends on what you really mean by your question (and what is actually wrong with the old Bolt).

You absolutely CANNOT move that old drive to any other TiVo box and still read the old recordings.

BUT, the wording you used states that the old drive will be hooked up to the old Bolt, and that is a totally different issue. If you are going to keep the old Bolt AND the new box both active on your account and running on your home network, then YES, it is possible IF the old Bolt is still booting up and still has a working network connection. So I guess it all depends on what you actually meant when you said your "Bolt died."

I have a Bolt that is giving me fits with random freezes and blank screens, but I continue to access all the programs on it without problems using a different Bolt on my home network. Even when the bad Bold is totally frozen, it continues to stream to other boxes just fine.