New Bee confused on how to setup recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tonyonlinux, Jan 2, 2006.

1. tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005

Advertisements

American Idols new season starts the 17th of this month and I only want to record the new shows.

I did a search for American Idol on the tivo and set a season pass but for some reason even though I selected first run it wants to record all the reruns like 1/2 1/3 and so on. Obviously I'm doing something wrong so I seek the help of the pros which is why I came here.

Thanks for having a great community that I visit at least 4 times or more a day.

2. fanaticman13

fanaticman13 New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't watch American Idol, but I will try to respond to this message given my personal experiences with Tivo recordings/season passes thus far.

Assuming you have the season pass set for American Idol on the Fox station (I'm not sure if there are any other channels such as FX that might rerun old Idol shows) and you have it set to record first runs only, my guess is your problem is not one of user error but an issue with the programming data for Idol.

I'm currently having this same problem with the Simpsons where I only want to record the new Simpson episodes, but the programming data for the older episodes that start at either 7 or 7:30PM EST are not listed as repeats. If the programming data does not list a show as a repeat then the Tivo will assume it is a first run and record the show.

Please let me know if this is helpful to you.

3. tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Thanks that makes sense to me. One thing is there a way in the todo list to select multiple shows to delete then do a delete all marked or something instead of having to do the shows one by one ?

4. Bondelev

Bondelev Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Burbank, CA
    Wish Lists record EVERY channel. It thinks any episode you have not seen in 28 days is "new." Your wish list is probably including all the Fox Reality reruns.

You want to use a Season Pass, which is channel-specific. I'm pretty sure the New AI is not in the program guide yet as it's more than two weeks away. Once it shows up in the guide, create a season pass and you'll be fine.

5. tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip will do. Oh sorry for the ignorance but is there a way to tell on the tivo guide if its a repeat. I mean I know the new season starts 1/17 but I'm talking about other shows.

6. Bondelev

Bondelev Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Burbank, CA
    Prime time network shows will say "R" when it's a rerun. Otherwise I don't know if there's any indication. The Fox Reality shows probably don't say that because for a syndicated show it's a "first-run" rerun.

7. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Take a look at the detail screen for the show, which you can get to by pushing the 'display' button ('enter' for Sony remotes). At the bottom of that screen you can often find the Original Air Date. If the OAD is the same as the air date you are recording, that's a pretty good clue it is not a repeat -- although I have seen some older shows tagged with the new broadcast date when they are re-syndicated or aired for the first time on that PBS station.

Also, be on the lookout for 'generic' listings. For instance, one of the shows I like to watch is E-Force on OLN. It is a 'Cops' type show about the Fish and Wildlife Service. The generic listing for the show, used as a placeholder when there is no specific Guide Data for the show, reads 'Saving and Preserving the Florida Keys'. The OAD for listings like this is usually the OAD for the start of the series.

There are other flags which your TiVo uses in combination with the OAD to tell if the show is a repeat. When your TiVo sees a generic listing, on a Season Pass or Auto Recording Wish List set to First Run Only, the default is to record these episodes also, just in case it might be a new one.

My habit is to check my To Do Lists on both TiVos every morning and make sure the shows I expect to record are set up to record, and to cancel the shows picked up by my ARWL that I don't want. With generic listings it's tempting to go through and nuke them all, but if more accurate listings show up closer to the air date, and the shows turn out to be repeats, your TiVo will see that and drop them from your To Do List. So I only worry about the ones which are showing up in the next one or two days.

Hope this helps.

Jan