New Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Fl_Gulfer, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1 of 82
    Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf

Advertisements

Just a reminder It starts tonight......:up:

2. Mar 4, 2008 #2 of 82
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    But isn't this show already DOA?

Why get involved in a show that they aren't going to make anymore?

3. Mar 4, 2008 #3 of 82
    domat

domat Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Because it might be good? Do you go to movies only if you know there will be sequels?

4. Mar 4, 2008 #4 of 82
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    No, but I'd avoid a movie that's likely to not have an ending!

5. Mar 4, 2008 #5 of 82
    emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO

Advertisements

That was pretty bad. It was totally predicable and annoying how he just kept casually saying he was at places and did things in the past.

6. Mar 4, 2008 #6 of 82
    Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    This show is already dead? If it's dead, I agree I'm not going to watch.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #7 of 82
    Cindy1230

Cindy1230 Cuteness overload

Oct 31, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    It wasn't too bad. The voice overs were getting annoying and there were alot of continuity things. I think the concept of the show is interesting.

I'm curious to see how many other idol watchers watched it. I'm not sure it'll make it after the move to Monday unless they've done alot of tweaking in the next episodes.

8. Mar 5, 2008 #8 of 82
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, it's not. In fact, they're giving it a pretty big push--I was wondering why it was wandering around the schedule this week, but it turns out the reason is so that it will follow American Idol, Fox's biggest show, for its first two airings. If that's not giving it a fair shot, I don't know what is. And like all the networks, Fox will be scrambling more than usual this year to find stuff to air in the fall.

9. Mar 5, 2008 #9 of 82
    brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Since I have a Tivo I could care less what time slot it's in or what show it follows. It would only matter to people who actually watch "live" tv. I thought it was interesting and has potential. I'll have to watch a couple more episodes before making a final verdict. And I'd much rather know that a series is doomed from the beginning and might not last an entire season rather than investing time watching two or three seasons of a show and having the network abruptly cancel it giving it no closure.

10. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    This may come as a surprise, but this still covers the majority of TV watching. DVR usage is a minority sport - even people who have them mostly don't use them properly.

Obviously people on this board may disagree because, like me, they've had TiVo (ar a DVR at least) for some time and probably can't imagine TV without it. However, although it's an increasing number, it's still a minority.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Which is why we SHOULD care what time slot it's in or what show it follows, because although none of that matters to us, it makes a big difference in the show's chances at survival.

12. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    Exactly my point :)

(Oh and happy YAMM, BTW).

13. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    There's not much I can do about a show's survival. I understand that most people do not have or use a DVR. All I did was state that for myself it doesnt matter what night or time slot the show is in. I'll Tivo it and watch it when I can.

14. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Not terrible, but the initial banter between the two main characters when she first appeared at the crime scene was (terrible, that is). Can't see how this show can have any legs though.

15. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I liked this better than I thought I would. I especially liked the time-lapse montage of Times Square from tee-pees to the present. The actual case was only so-so, but the show did what it needed to do in a pilot episode - laid some ground rules, established the characters, piqued my interest.

I was fully expecting there to be a follow-up scene where Amsterdam admits to Eva that, in fact, he didn't have a 6 year old child that was killed but just said that he did in order to establish rapport with the celebutant's mother. Guess not, though.

16. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    What she said. I watched, and was thoroughly unimpressed.

17. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it. TCF Club

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I fell asleep halfway through it. That being said, I'll watch the remainder of it soonish and also watch the second episode, since the local paper says the second episode is much better. Based on that review, I'll give it a chance, through two episodes at least.

--Debbie

18. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I watched it again after having watched it when it was first leaked -- what seems like a long time ago, now.

I think it's great and look forward to more; it held up well through a second viewing, too. I sure hope the American Idol lemmings at least just leave the TV tuned to the same channel after that disaster ends so this has some hope of getting decent ratings. :p

19. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Since no air date in title, wont say much about episode, but It's basically just another buddy cop show, not a good one at that, but it is the 1st episode.

How many episodes were shot?

20. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    I kinda enjoyed this. Not the best show on TV but I'll keep watching.

J