New Amsterdam - Season 1 Finale - OAD 5/14/19 - Spoilers OK

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hot4Bo, May 14, 2019.

1. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    Um...just...wow! It is over half an hour later and I am still speechless. I never, ever expected the ending to be like that!!!

I am just glad it was renewed for season 2. It couldn't have just ended like this. I would hope that if it wasn't renewed that they would have changed that ending. If not, just....wow!!!

2. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Chances are the last scene was shot after it was renewed - otherwise it would've ended just prior.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  3. Hot4Bo

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    Interesting thought. Probably true.

4. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I was expecting a Cliff Hanger and when they left in the ambulance, I anticipated the T-Bone that we see so often.

I also expected the lawyer with the cocaine to run but I didn't expect that he would steal an ambulance and be the cause of the accident.

I really like the show and look forward to S2, but looks like one of my favorite "Companions" won't be back.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  5. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    It was an entertaining season.

6. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Love this show. I'll be thinking of the finale for awhile now. Who is under the sheet ????

7. type_g

type_g Active Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Probably the Ambulance driver is my guess. I just hope next season they don't go back to the romantic angle that came out of left field with Max and Helen.

LlamaLarry and Beryl like this.
  8. Hot4Bo

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    This.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This cliffhanger felt very "ER" to me. It's the way they ended a lot of their seasons. I enjoyed the season. Enough quirk to make feel a bit different than the typical medical drama. Glad it's coming back.

10. type_g

type_g Active Member

Sep 9, 2002
    yup agree, but what I love the most is that its a story of the week formula with a little bit of serialized story. If they keep the story of the week and minor serialized stories it will have more of chance of surviving I think.

11. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I liked Helen with that other doctor and his reaction to her not going with him on that trip was inappropriate. Max needs to stay with his wife — if she made it out of that accident.

I hope it isn’t Helen under that sheet. She didn’t appear in the promo and Twitter is buzzing with concern.

12. Cabinwood

Cabinwood Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 11, 2000
    North Georgia
    I sure hope it wasn’t Helen.

13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I thought it was Helen, but since it's been mentioned, it could have been the driver.

14. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Exactly! That was way out of left field !!!

15. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    It bothered me because it reinforced the myth that men and women cannot remain close working partners. They didn’t have a problem with partners on crime shows like L&O and Justified so I hoped Helen and Max would have a similar relationship.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  16. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I just got done watching the final 4 episodes..... and I was Shocked at the ending!!

I am re watching the final scenes in slow motion...
    * Dr. Lauren Bloom is in the back portion of the ambulance..... but unseated with her head in the front cab chatting with the 2 ambulance driver/passenger
    * The other ambulance T-bones the Dr's ambulance.... where you see the passenger of the ambulance and he takes a direct hit.
    * Dr Helen Sharpe is shown in the back of the ambulance semi holding on... then tossed to the other side "and that was the last wee seen of her !!!".
    * Dr Bloom is launched out the windshield.... and we see her flying over the hood (**also looks like the ambulance passenger starts to get ejected out the side window**)
    * The driver of the other ambulance is 1/2 through the windshield and looks to be dead ??
    * Dr Bloom is turned over and is being worked on.... they have her in a neck brace and are doing CPR.
    * Georgia Goodwin is being cared for by Dr. Vijay Kapoor and she is wheeled into the hospital
    * Now they put a white sheet over the dead body of the **Ambulance Passenger**

When I 1st watched the scene.... I thought they put the white sheet over Dr Bloom, but it was the Ambulance passenger.

The New Amsterdam is on my top 5 favorite shows. Very well written, produced and acted.

Steveknj likes this.