New Ads

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Tucson Tom, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Tucson Tom

Tucson Tom New Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Tivo, shame on you for placing your own revenue generating ads at the beginning of my recordings. I've paid for several lifetime subscriptions and now you are inserting your own ads. This was not part of the agreement when I purchased the subscriptions. We should start a class action lawsuit against this. As a longtime subscriber I've purchased 5 Tivos. I won't buy anymore until you stop this.

2. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    They won’t see this as this forum isn’t owned by TiVo. Call them or try Twitter.

3. HoTatII

HoTatII Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Bigg and dianebrat like this.
  4. dkenglish7

dkenglish7 New Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Oakland CA
    It's pretty clear they do not care what we think about this, no matter what channel we complain in.
    Any slight residual goodwill I had for Tivo is gone for good now.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Zero need for a new thread on exactly the same content on the existing thread listed above other than to say "hey I made a new thread and it's mine!"

ufo4sale, jrtroo, compnurd and 2 others like this.
  6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sorry OP, but:
    :(

For now, and as mentioned in the main thread: telephone TiVo Customer Support, tell the rep. that you're upset over this development (they're hearing that a lot), and ask TiVo to turn the pre-roll ads off--the rep. should put you on the list for turning the feature off within 72 hours (at least, that's what the reps. have been saying they will do, upon a complaint being made).

7. PersonWith Interest

PersonWith Interest New Member

Wednesday
    On 12/16/2019 I will be dumping tivo forever. You people are full of crap if you think I am going to pay you $150 a year to bombard me with ads & #40; at the cost of my bandwidth& #41; and junk up the guide with more ads AND causing my guide to jump back after a few seconds. I have called 3 times to get this fixed to no avail. I have now fixed it myself with an Amazon Replay device. Goodbye you money-grubbers and I will be the FIRST to join the impending class action lawsuit.

jdm5 likes this.
  8. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    As a majority share holder I can not be more thrilled with the way this company is going. They should of done this years ago. They have such a huge market share they can pretty much do what ever they want. It’s like a “reality show.” It’s a train wreck but you have to see what happens next so stay tuned. ;):):eek::cool:

9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    " huge market share"? I wish that was true. What market? TV watchers? No. DVR owners? No. They do have a huge market share of "privately owned DVRs". They have a monopoly on TiVo DVRs!!

10. mntvjunkie

mntvjunkie Active Member

May 12, 2009
    How much more money do you want to lose? Take a look, you have already lost half your investment.

Huge market share? Look at the numbers, they have lost almost half of the subscribers they had left. If you are counting cable companies that use Tivo's software, you'd know they only get a small fraction of what a retail subscriber pulls in.

With the negative press these "moves" have gotten, there is NO WAY they recoup the revenue in ads, nor is that the intent. This is a hail mary pass to show ignorant shareholders that Tivo Consumer can stand on it's own. Then, when they get done fleecing the money making side of the business (the Tivo Patents) because Shareholders approved it, Tivo Consumer will die.

As a 20 year customer of Tivo, this makes me sad. As an investor? This should terrify you. They already lost my $1000 hardware refresh with Lifetime that I was saving for in September, and once my current box dies, they will lose the tiny bit in ad revenue and data they got from me too.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Easy fix: sidegrade your TiVo box back to the TE3 UI.

12. jcliff

jcliff Member

May 23, 2017
    Downside being you have to wipe all your recordings.

TE3 also has some annoying menu items for upgrading to TE4 and apps you don't want.

So your options seem to be:

A) use TE4. Have failarmy type content mixed into the guide. Lose a home menu shortcut to TiVo+. Pre-roll ads (that you can hopefully request be disabled).

B) Rollback to TE3. Lose recordings/wishlists/season passes/etc. (unless you use something like KMTTG). No autoskip. Uninstallable apps in menu. Unremovable TE4 upgrade in menu.

Interface-wise I've actually gotten pretty used to TE4. It would be nice if I could remove TiVo+ from my home menu and guide though.

For folks that downgraded back to TE3, does it seem "zippier"? TE4 does seem sluggish at times.

Ever since TiVo+ appeared the apps do seem to be hard crashing regularly now, and my my Bolt completely reboots at random.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:20 PM
  13. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Based on how intrusive those “TiVo” sale ads were on my box (TE3), I would not be surprised if TiVo puts up 3rd party ads via that same method.

14. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Yup, I've had the exact same experience on my Roamio. I have moved exclusively to the Fire Stick for all streaming.

15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    To not lose various settings, transfer them to your PC first, as you said, and then back after--easy-peasy.

To save recordings, transfer non-copy-protected shows to your PC/storage device first, and then back after. A pain, but the machines do all the heavy-lifting.

On TE3, I don't notice, at this point, any "upgrade to TE4" notice (there's only 1, I believe), and any apps I don't want I simply can de-check so they don't appear, or I just can ignore them.

And the loss of AutoSkip: sad, but perhaps not that big a thing for many people, as so many shows don't have it to begin with, and SkipMode still remains. Bigger might be the loss of voice control.

Not all that hard, in the end--and especially if the current TiVo ad craze is such an annoyance that one just wants to give up.

bobfrank and slowbiscuit like this.
  16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's a "one and done" post, they have no interest in listening to anyone, they just came in to have a rant as they leave, and I'm more than happy to hold the door for them.

bobfrank likes this.
  17. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you for contacting TiVo, Inc. headquarters.:confused: We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties.

Please stand by while our operators connect you to the next available customer support agent . . .

[​IMG]

18. jcliff

jcliff Member

May 23, 2017
    You're able to de-check apps like Pandora? I'm not looking at my TiVo right now but there are some apps that can't be de-checked on mine. They'll just always appear in the apps menu.

The upgrade notice is a bit annoying because it takes up a main menu slot. Would be nicer if they moved it to the system restart area.

I called TiVo support to request the pre-rolls be removed, and someone mentioned in another thread they may be able to do the same for the TiVo+ guide ribbons (which seem to be hard crashing my Bolts).

I'm trying to give it a fair shake, but if TiVo+/the guide ribbons can't be removed, I think I'll just downgrade to TE3 and give up on saving my recordings, purely due to the pain involved.

I have a Vox and a Vox remote for a regular Bolt, but I actually don't really dig the voice stuff. I totally forgot it was TE4 specific.

The Bolts are my first TiVo experience, and despite some caveats I like them. But does TiVo ever force upgrade devices? Like could they basically disable devices running TE3 in the future?

19. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I want what you have been drinking......

20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, under TE3, I am able to disable apps from showing in the Apps and My Shows listings, using the Add & Manage Apps feature under the Apps menu (I just tried it, to make sure).

TiVo updates are an automatic factor over which we don't have control, except that: TiVo_Ted (from TiVo) has said here that there are no current plans (or something like that) to force TE3 users over to TE4. Of course, who knows what the future will bring. :confused: