New 21.8 UI -- I like it

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by allanmac, May 8, 2018.

1. May 8, 2018 #1 of 34
    allanmac

allanmac New Member

Feb 7, 2017

Advertisements

It's an improvement over the previous version. Fewer button presses.

geekmedic, CloudAtlas and kpeters59 like this.
  2. May 9, 2018 #2 of 34
    ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    I haven't noticed fewer button presses, I have definitely noticed that a lot of annoying bugs were fixed, therefore I like it too.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  3. May 9, 2018 #3 of 34
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Fewer presses if you don’t use shortcuts for the main menu. You used to have to arrow up to get to it. Not sure of any others.

4. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    I still find it ridiculous that you can't just hit "play" to watch a show in the playlist. What's even crazier is that before Hydra that's the way it worked.

Noelmel and ke3ju like this.
  5. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL

Advertisements

100% agree with you on that...

6. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Ah. You can. What you can’t do is watch a folder via play. Once you are at the episode level you can hit play. If you show the episode strip, you are at the episode level automatically. There is no way to auto-binge watch.

ke3ju likes this.
  7. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    If I go to my list of shows and then select a single show and hit play, it doesn’t start the show. Are you saying it does for you?

8. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Are you selecting an episode or a series? Episodes do. Series do not. If you have the episode strip turned on, it automatically selects an episode when you select the series. If you don’t have the episode strip on, you need to select into the series.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In My Shows, I move over a program and hit Play. Nothing happens. Not even the error boom. Episode strip off.

With Episode strip on, the Play button displays the episode, then you can hit Play again. I think I read this somewhere before.

10. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Unfortunately, the episode strip has a habit of disappearing if you scroll too fast. But when it is on, you can just scroll to the show and an episode is highlighted and you can hit play. Of course, if it isn’t the episode you want, you have to pick the one you want. If the strip is not showing but the option is on, you have to click on the show to make the strip appear. When it works right, it is pretty much just navigate and play.

11. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I feel you navigate such that a single episode is selected, whether by thumbnail in the episode strip, or by episode name in a list of episodes, pressing play starts playback. You CAN press select to see the episode details, but it is not required.

12. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    I’m selecting an episode and not a series. When I hit play, nothing happens. I have to hit select and then play. However, I don’t think I ever turned episode mode on. Is that in settings?

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I’ve turned it off and it still works. You can change the playlist behavior by hitting the A key when in the playlist.

14. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    Wow - that’s really strange. Based on reading these posts, I think there are a lot of people that are experiencing what I am, i.e., when highlighting a show, nothing happens when you hit play.

15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Or people aren’t really highlighting an episode.

16. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    Not sure what you mean by “highlighting”. I go to my list of shows and then scroll down to the show I want and hit play and nothing happens. If I scroll and then hit select and then hit play that works, but that’s an extra step and it wasn’t required with the old software.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So just to be clear -- is this comparing to a previous version of Hydra, or Hydra vs pre-Hydra in general?

(I THINK the former because of the version # mentioned, but am not positive.)

18. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    The fact that this conversation is even taking place further points out the lack of user friendliness and intuitiveness of Hydra. I know there are a couple of folks who will take exception to this statement, but I believe the vast majority of us who at least tried Hydra will agree. It's prettier and more technologically current than the previous interface (to which I returned, btw), but IMO not nearly as user friendly.

Was there beta testing among current customers? Was there any user input requested? Or is this a technological advancement to take advantage of the latest available technologies without enough time devoted to study its impact on the end user?

19. megz1623

megz1623 Member

Dec 28, 2013
    In our house we love the new UI. Very simple for everyone to navigate!

CloudAtlas likes this.
  20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The keyword was episode. If you are highlighting the series name, that is not an episode. As I said, if you have the episode strip on, an episode will highlight as your scroll down the list and you can hit play on that.