new 2 year commitment vs. short warranty

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by HiDefGator, Jan 2, 2006.

1. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    How does DirecTV handle the new 2 year commitment if your equipment dies after the warranty expires but before the 2 years are up?

If I bought a brand new DVR and it died one day after the warranty expired (day 91) am I still required to keep the service. Just curious how they handle this situation.

2. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    As far as I know you are still committed to the two year service. You can either have the unit repaired or buy a new one. If you do the latter you will be forced into a *new* 2 year commitment though.

Oh, and the two year commitment is on some level of DirecTV subscription, so you could get a really cheap non-DVR box to replace that one and then drop to the lowest level of subscription. Or, if you're fairly early in your commitment you could just cancel and pay the penalty.

I think the best thing to do is just have the broken one repaired (or do it yourself if it's something like the hard drive).