1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ’24’ Installment With Original Creators In Works

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mike Lang, May 14, 2018.

1. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Mikeguy likes this.
  2. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I think I read that Gillian Anderson was through with X-Files for good. I don’t know why.

I don’t know if they would try to do the show without her. But, if the ratings weren’t that good the last time, it may not be worth it.

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    How are they going to fit 8 moles, 4 bad guys, 50 murders, no bathroom breaks, 20 physically impossible computer hacks, and a lot of unnecessary yelling into a legal thriller?

Steveknj likes this.
  4. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Not to mention, impossibly fast travel across a city.
    ;)

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Don't forget that in the original it only took a few minutes to travel anywhere in LA. There was never traffic even at rush hour.

I use to make fun of this in the show The Mentalist. They were some fake government agency supposedly based in Sacramento, and yet they'd get cases in San Diego and travel back and forth between "the scene" and the office like it was nothing. Even though the two places are a good 8+ hour drive apart, more with traffic.

RGM1138 likes this.
  6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked 24, but really, are we running out of new ideas?

allan likes this.
  7. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Events happen in real time so it's obviously accurate! :D

RGM1138 likes this.
  8. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    All the new ideas got canceled at Fox

Crobinzine, smbaker and allan like this.
  9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Maybe Jack or equivalent will be running around trying to stop Mueller in 24 hours.

Beryl likes this.
  10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Keifer Sutherland is newly unemployed....does he come back to run CTU?

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was so burned out on 24 and ready for it to end when it completed its regular run. I haven't watched any of the revivals (I think there was one in London and one that was only 12 hours; those might be the same). I doubt I'll be interested in any further episodes.

12. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    I thought "24: Live Another Day" (the London one) was pretty good. Because it was only 12 episodes, it felt lean and taut without unnecessary side plots (mountain lions) or bizarrely overcomplicated terrorist plots (S4). In my personal rankings of the seasons, "LAD" would be just below S5.

A revival would make sense if it were "24: Saving Jack Bauer." If I were creating it, I'd start with Kate Morgan (Yvonne Strahovski's character introduced in LAD) getting a phone call from Chloe O'Brian, who says, "It's time to rescue Jack." They spend a few episodes getting Tony Almeida, Mandy the assassin (hey, you need all the help you can get!), Belcheck (also introduced in LAD) and head off to Russia. This would account for a 12 hour time jump for travel time. Meanwhile, back in the U.S., CTU gets wind of this unsanctioned mission, which could potentially cause problems for some U.S.-Russia summit, and Eric Carter and Andy Shalowitz (from "24: Legacy") have to run interference.

It would probably wouldn't even require more time from Kiefer Sutherland. They could spend a day or two filming scenes of Jack being abused or tortured, and sprinkle those throughout the first 9-10 episodes. He'd need to be more involved at the end, of course. And if Kiefer really wants to be free of playing Jack Bauer, it could end with Jack sacrificing himself - maybe the U.S.-Russia summit is a sham, and the team, in the course of rescuing Jack, discovers that some bad guy has some WMD, and Jack stops it at the cost of his life.

Or Jack could retire, having suffered such severe injuries in Russia, that he can't work the field any more.

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sad, no more "X-Files." I know that there was a lot of debate about it, but I found the nearly-wordless episode this season in which Mulder and Scully were terrorized by automation to be brilliant.
    Funny but, not if you're cable. ;)

14. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    HAHAH I loved when they did the season in New York because being a native Long Islander, I now FULLY understood how hilarious their travel times were. There was one specific part where they got from Manhattan to Queens during rush out in like 20 minutes. That would have been a three-episode arc in real time.

That's The Blacklist too - they're based in DC but they're constantly randomly in NYC or Boston, or wherever. There's no fanfare about it either - they leave DC, the next scene is in Queens somewhere, and then they're back in DC. I have no idea if something was established early on that they have a plane like on Criminal Minds, so who knows... I always laugh though. I'm like DC to Boston is a 9 hour drive!

15. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Anyway, I've always loved 24, but at least in the early seasons the TRIED to pretend they were sticking to the "real time" thing. Sure, traffic considerations, no bathroom breaks, etc, were prevalent but I felt that Legacy just made zero attempt to pretend it was real time. The writing was extremely lazy, but I guess it had to be with only 12 episodes. Personally I found it more intriguing when they tried to stick to the central conceit - abandoning it completely just makes it like every other show out there.

16. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Crimeny. How many times are they going to resurrect this show? The latest reboot was awful.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Seems like every reboot brings decent numbers? I don't know. Maybe the feel in the current political climate it would do well? Again, not sure. I'm a sucker, so I'll probably watch, but I really wonder who they will bring back. I guess Chloe isn't doing much these days :)

18. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    They are flogging this show and screwing with it's legacy IMO. Want to reboot the concept but borrow stuff from the original? Fine, but give the new show it's own name and identity.

19. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Fram, MA
    I think the networks are bringing back shows from my generation (Gen X) because we're the last generation who may actually watch or record shows from networks, instead of exclusively using streaming services. This is their last grasp at the old form of advertising revenue.

20. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    No more 24 please. The original was good, let it be. Same with Prison Break. Last years reboot was horrible.