Networking Woes, change LAN IP address and all the minis won't reconnect

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bmwbiker, Jun 10, 2017.

1. bmwbiker

bmwbiker Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I have been having limited sporadic trouble with mini connectivity to my Roamio Basic. Today I attempted to add a NAS device to the network and it killed a mini's connection as soon as I plugged in the Ethernet cable in.

To resolve this (AFTER removing the NAS from the network) I attempted to reserve IPs (linked to the MACs) on my router for all TIVOs. From the local network standpoint this all looks good. Router has the mini in its DHCP table and I can ping all the mini IP addresses (Roamio with new IP address is happy IC). The PC on this network can ping the minis and I'm using it write this, so my network is fine.

But the minis simply don't see the Roamio, nor can they connect externally to the TIVO mothership!

Any suggestion?
    I tired to rerun the guided setup on one mini and it fails to configure so now its completely hosed.

Router: TEW-811DRU
    Mixed mode network: Cabled (switches) plus two minis on MOCA (They are all hosed, moving them around doesn't help)

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    How is your MoCA network being created?

One possibility is a power reset. It's been seen that sometimes a MoCA network needs to be fully powered off (all devices, including the router) for a brief window in order to reset. Once you've powered down all the devices, including the Minis and whatever device you're using to establish your MoCA network, plus whatever network devices you may have (router, switches through which the TiVo gear connects), power the router and network components back on, the MoCA bridge, and then one of the Minis.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Check cables and make sure all ethernet are still connected.

Tivo Roamio cannot connect so nothing can connect to it either. If you have assigned a fixed IP to it, make sure its not a conflicting one that is with another device.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Excellent advice, especially if adding the NAS caused you to dislodge the MoCA bridge's Ethernet connection.

5. bmwbiker

bmwbiker Member

Sep 2, 2015
    • I didn't reroute any of the network, except to attach and then detach the the NAS to a unused port on a switch.
    • Cycling the power does NOT help.
    • New IP addresses were free.....
    • MOCA/wired doesn't matter, even switched one box from MOCA to ethernet

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    New info. So then I'd stick with that, until you get it working with either (any?) of your Minis, as troubleshooting MoCA seems misguided if you don't have Ethernet working.

Repeating an earlier question, how are you creating your MoCA network? If looking to isolate troubleshooting, I'd recommend removing the MoCA bridge device (assuming you're just using a MoCA adapter) and power-off any MoCA-connected Minis, leaving them off while you try to get a single Mini working via Ethernet.

To be clear, you've had your entire network, all devices, simultaneously powered-down at some point during your troubleshooting? (Power-cycling individual devices isn't sufficient.)

7. bmwbiker

bmwbiker Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Thanks for the clarification, I could see how that might make difference, worth a try at this point.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, I have less hope of ultimate success given you say you were unable to get a Mini working via Ethernet, but the full power-down has been successful in resetting MoCA issues in the past.

p.s. Still wondering how you're creating your MoCA network.

9. bmwbiker

bmwbiker Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Okay, I have the network/Tivos back to baseline. Not sure if it was due to a network wide power-cycle (thanks krk) or because I also went back to DHCP IP assignment.

I'm basically running wired Ethernet (router connected to cable modem, right next to Roamio with cable card)
    and then a few switches as branch points. At one of the switches an Actiontec MOCA adapter drives coax (single splitter, short runs) to two TIVO minis because the coax was in the walls. The coax is isolated, no cable signal on it.

After I got the network restored, I reserved the router assigned IPs (for the MOCA Tivos) and then made the IPs on the MOCA TivoMinis static.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    krkaufman likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Resolved per OP in parallel thread, by replacing older network switch...