Networking Trouble

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ron DeGumbia, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Ron DeGumbia

Ron DeGumbia Member

Sep 18, 2012

Advertisements

In a room across the house I have a WRT1900AC Router plugged into a Arris comcast modem. I have a CAT6 cable plugged into the WRT router going around the house and into an extension of the house. The extension is separated by a brick wall so WIFI signal there is weak. The Cat6 going around the house is terminated in a TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch. To sum it up Modem<->Router<->Switch.

The issue is I have 3 devices connected to the switch; a PC, a Tivo, a Sony TV. The PC connects to the internet just fine, the Tivo and the TV both report no router. How can I make this work?

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Well, there are about 25 bazinlian things that could be the issue, so without a lot more detail, it is hard to suggest much.

The first and most simple test is to simply take the cable out of the PC and connect that end to either the TV or TiVo to see if it works (and verify that the PC is no longer able to access the internet at the same time). A second and similar test is to simply remove the switch from the equation and plug that long cat6 cable directly into the TiVo and see if it recognizes the network that way.

If neither of those tests work, then your next step is probably to look in the Router admin screens to see exactly what it reports about how the PC is connecting - that should give you a clue about where to go next.

Finally, tell us what model of TiVo you have - I have always found the TiVo boxes to be real good at simply connecting to a wired Ethernet network - so much so that I do not really remember what the screens look like or any required information. Except with my Bolts - last time I connected one of those, there was absolutely nothing for me to enter - it just worked instantly after asking me if it should use the default settings. But even then, I still choose to set up all my AV equipment using fixed IP addresses instead of DHCP. I don't really feel like clearing everything and starting over just to tell you what I see unless we can't sort it out some other way!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. Ron DeGumbia

Ron DeGumbia Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I'll try your suggestion on moving around the switch ports, but until then here is at least some of the info you requested.

1. It's a Roamio Pro
    2. Any device hooked directly to the CAT6 works.

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Well, that pretty much points you directly to the problem: the switch. Here are a couple of points to consider (that's about all I can give you without actually reading the manual for that specific switch).

Not all switches are the same. Most have both an uplink port and local connection ports. Sometimes you need a crossover Ethernet cable to connect the switch to the network, but not always (usually the 'uplink' port takes care of the crossover). Some switches actually detect what type of cable is being used and will self-configure properly. Maybe you have just connected the cables to the switch backwards, with the uplink cable to a local port and the computer to the uplink port? If so, that would probably explain the symptoms you are seeing, as no other local port would work unless you used a crossover cable for them.

The key to all this is to just read the manual for your particular switch. Some switches have both an uplink port and a local port that are cross-wired, and the manual will specifically state that only ONE of that pair can be used - so if the uplink is connected to the LAN, then the port next to it MUST REMAIN EMPTY.

Sometimes, if you do not have the correct type of cable to connect to the network with the 'uplink' port, you can just connect to one of the local ports and all will work fine (note that this is exactly opposite to some of the comments above!). For example, if you have a 4-port switch that is not functioning properly when you connect it to the network with the 'uplink' port, just move that cable to port 1 and try any local device connected to ports 2, 3, or 4. Make sure that any cables used to connect local devices to local ports are NOT crossover cables.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  5. Ron DeGumbia

Ron DeGumbia Member

Sep 18, 2012

Advertisements

The switch does not have an "uplink" port, I was told most current generation switches don't. This is the switch I have -
    > https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FHREBDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is "unmanaged" there is no configuration, is has cable detection etc., there perplexing thing is that the PC functions fine on the switch, yet the Roamio and TV don't

6. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    That link is for a linksys switch. Did you mean this one?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A128S24/ref=dp_cerb_1

Both of those are auto MDI/MDI-X so crossover or regular cables both work.

However it is still possible you have bad ethernet cables.

We know each of devices connected directly to the long CAT6 work, so the network port is fine, as is any IP address configuration.

So that leaves the 5-port switch and the cables from the 5-port switch to each of the devices.

Does the light for the port on the 5-port switch light up when you connect the cable for each of the devices?

If not, then there is probably an issue with that cable.

You can try taking the known good cable that plugs from 5-port switch to PC and disconnect that cable from PC and connect to TiVo. (I believe that was suggested earlier)

If that works, then try different cables from the 5-port switch to your devices.

If the cable from 5-port switch to PC that you subsequently disconnected and plugged into Roamio, then that is a quandary, as that cable should work. If that is the case, post back and we can probably guess at other things to try.

Remember, no light on the port means that connection is not working, even if the cable is plugged in.