Networking question...with a catch...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Idioteque1025, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Idioteque1025

Idioteque1025 Guest

Dec 25, 2005

Advertisements

Okay here is my problem.

I am at school and apparently they block some of the ports needed for tivo to connect. I have a wireless router and a tivo wirelss g adapter, and they connect to each other fine. I can not get my tivo to make a connection home for updates. I do not have a phone line either.

So with a combination of these can i connect and run guided setup.

Airport Express
    Tivo Wireless G Adapter
    Powerbook

Thanks.

2. Athlex

Athlex New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    If you can establish a VPN tunnel through the school network to an open network with the powerbook and share the connection to the Tivo, you should be able to connect to any port you want.
    You can also make nice with the network sysadmin. :) Do you know what ports Tivo needs to use?

3. Idioteque1025

Idioteque1025 Guest

Dec 25, 2005
    some progress...

The TiVo connects to my network. It has a 92% signal strength. I just think that the ports are being blocked so it will not connect to TiVo to download daily schedule. I don't want to get a phone line becuase it will be 22 dollars a month.

I keep getting the N08 error when it tries to connect.

Is there anyway around blocked ports. I didnt really understand the VPN tunneling. If someone could give me a walkthrough that would be great.

THanks

4. Athlex

Athlex New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    A VPN setup would be pretty involved (and requires software and a server to connect to). If you can establish what IP address the Tivo is trying to get its listings on as well as the port it's connecting at, you can check with the network sysadmin and see if they're being blocked by a firewall or somesuch.