1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking problems with Bolt and Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CueBallSTL, Dec 30, 2017.

1. CueBallSTL

CueBallSTL New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I upgraded my two TiVo Premieres to TiVo Bolts, and also added two TiVo Minis. My Premieres worked great together, including being able to see each other on the network and watch shows across the network.

But since I upgraded, I've been having issues. The Bolts can play/record shows, and play shows off of the internet (Netflix, HBO Go, etc.). They can see each other on the network (i.e., they show up in each other's device list), but neither can access the other's recorded shows. My two boxes are called "Master Bedroom" and "Living Room". If I'm on Master Bedroom and I go to My Shows => Devices and click on Living Room, I get this error:

I've tried all of the troubleshooting tips there, to no avail. The only non-standard thing about my network configuration is that I have a LinkSYS Velop mesh network, and I'm using NetGear Powerline adapters to extend my network over the electrical wiring to the rooms where my Bolts live - But it's the same configuration that the Premieres used successfully.

Further, the Minis can't see the Bolts. If I do a network test, the port test fails, and it tells me I need to open port 37. I suspect whatever is keeping the Minis from seeing the Bolts is related to the reason the Bolts can't see each other. It seems that it's saying port 37 is being blocked within my internal network, but all the documentation I've found suggests that port 37 needs to be open to the internet. Either way, I don't have anything specifically blocking that port.

What's even more maddening is that I brought one of the Minis into my home office and worked on it off and on for weeks. I was finally able to get it working for a couple of days - I'm not sure exactly what I did to make it work, it just happened to be working "the next time" I turned on my TV. It seemed stable, so after a couple of days, I moved the configuration into the spare bedroom where I want it - And it stopped working again, just like before.

I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please ignore the port 37 error. Some have it, some don't. Someone with your type of network may help more.

also see -> TCP Port 37?

CueBallSTL likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you using OTA or cable TV as your signal source? And what about Internet: DSL, cable or other?

(Basically, I'm curious as to why you wouldn't be using MoCA, if not Ethernet.)

CueBallSTL likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm away from my bookmarks, so can't supply you with a link, but you may want to search for IGMP Snooping. Some have found this feature being enabled on their router and/or switches causes network connectivity issues for TiVo devices.

(But I remain curious re: MoCA.)

CueBallSTL likes this.
  5. CueBallSTL

CueBallSTL New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Signal source is cable TV. I don't have coax running to the rooms where I have the Minis. My options for those rooms are either Powerline or a wireless-to-Ethernet bridge.

6. CueBallSTL

CueBallSTL New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I agree with the content of that thread, in that the port 37 error seems to be more of a symptom than a problem. But during the brief time that I was able to get one of the Minis working, I didn't have any port 37 issues - The scan showed Success. So there seems to at least be a correlation, which I'm hoping is the root of all evil [as much as evil relates to my issue].

JoeKustra likes this.
  7. CueBallSTL

CueBallSTL New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    A little more info about my network: The cable comes in through the wall and into the cable modem. An Ethernet wire goes from the cable modem to one of three LinkSYS Velop routers (Basement, Main Floor, Top Floor, and cable modem is connected to Basement). The Velop routers act together as a mesh wireless network, but the Basement router serves as the primary hub for the "wired" network. From the Basement router, there's an Ethernet cable going to a Powerline adapter plugged into the wall, which is the source for all wired connections in the house. Any room that requires a wired connection has a Powerline adapter plugged into the wall, exposing one or more Ethernet ports to devices in that room.

For the Tivo boxes, the progression is:

cable coming into house
    (=> coax =>) cable modem
    (=> Ethernet =>) basement Velop
    (=> Ethernet =>) basement Powerline
    (=> electrical lines =>) room Powerline
    (=> Ethernet =>) Tivo.

So given this progression, the Velop is only being used as a wired router - The mesh wireless network never comes into play.

I saw a lot of discussion in various places about setting up port forwarding for port 37 to resolve the status check issue, but that doesn't make sense to me, since that would imply that something external would be reaching into my network over port 37. I haven't set up any port forwarding - Let me know if you think I should.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Don't waste your time. I lived with it for six months on three host boxes and three Mini boxes.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Have you checked for IGMP Snooping yet? And I agree, you shouldn't open up port 37.

Scott

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sounds like MoCA would be an option for the 2 BOLTs, then, taking some pressure off the Powerline segment, along with providing a reliable 400 Mbps connection between the BOLTs, as well as the router (assuming a TiVo Bridge at the modem/router location*).

Heck, even if you disconnected just one BOLT from the Powerline segment and used the other to bridge the Powerline connection over to MoCA you'd be better off, with the BOLT-to-BOLT traffic isolated to the 400 Mbps MoCA segment. Choose whichever BOLT has a better Powerline connection as the MoCA bridge.

* Going full MoCA client for both BOLTs would have been more attractive a couple weeks ago, when Amazon was selling the TiVo Bridge for $40.

11. CueBallSTL

CueBallSTL New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    The Velop routers, while being great at preserving wireless bandwidth throughout a house, are notoriously bad as far as administrative capability. I've looked through every admin screen available, and there's no mention of IGMP Snooping. If they have IGMP Snooping turned on, there's probably nothing I can do about it. It would really suck if I have to replace the Velop network, because it's really fast and it wasn't cheap.

12. CueBallSTL

CueBallSTL New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I haven't used MoCA before, but it sounds like it may have potential. I like the idea of removing the Bolt traffic from the rest of the network. I'll take a look at the bridge you mentioned.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  14. CueBallSTL

CueBallSTL New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Powerline has multiple device options. One is a wall wart (XAV5001), which is just a fat plug with a single Ethernet port. Another is the XAV5004, which has 4 Ethernet ports on a device that looks like a small hub and plugs into the wall with a regular plug. You can see a pic of the XAV5004 here.

krkaufman likes this.
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The TiVo Bridge *would* be useful, and I'd recommend adding it to extend the MoCA segment back to your router, but you can leverage MoCA for the BOLT-to-BOLT connection without the added expense of the TiVo Bridge, if you just wanted to give MoCA a try.

You'll need to ensure a "PoE" MoCA filter is in place on the incoming cable provider line (at its Point-of-Entry, PoE, to your home) to secure your MoCA network, but you would likely be able to establish the MoCA network, as a test, without the "PoE" MoCA filter installed.

I'd recommend doing a quick review of how your devices connect via coax, and how the coax runs connect to each other and the incoming cable line, via what components, and then posting a description or diagram if you want some help double-checking your coax's MoCA readiness.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  16. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There had been an issue with error C423 where an update to a software broke the ability to access shows on older Tivo boxes such as Premiere, Series 3, but that was many months ago and it has since been fixed.

On your Premiere, are you using SD or HD menus? Try switching from HD menus to SD (or vice versa) and see if the other boxes can access them.

17. Wayne Skelton

Wayne Skelton New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Did this get resolved? Powerline have always been a problem for me. Move your bolts to the basement and test them when directly connected to the Ethernet ports on the router. If that works, your powerline network is at fault. Also can plug both TiVo’s into a single powerline device (if one has multiple Ethernet ports) as a test.

18. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    This info probably does not apply, since the OP said the same configuration worked fine with two Premiers, but I'll offer it anyway:

Powerline Ethernet (or any other power line communications) can have one odd problem because the house is fed by two separate 120v feeds (from the 220v grid). You can tell which 120v feed is going to each breaker by looking at the breaker box (with the cover off). Generally, all the breakers on one side of the box are connected to the same 120v feed. If one device is connected in a room that is fed from 120v feed A, and the other device is connected in a room that is fed by 120v feed B, then there is not really a common wire connection between the two devices. This is a more common problem with bigger houses and lots of rooms.

The easiest way to test if this might be a problem is to just move both devices into one room where they are both connected to plugs controlled by the same breaker - if they work that way, then start suspecting the powrline system as the issue.

19. CueBallSTL

CueBallSTL New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I installed the TiVo bridge and switched my Bolts to MoCA, and everything works now, even with the Minis going over Ethernet. A future project will be to run coax to the bedrooms with the Minis to remove that traffic from my Ethernet network, but in the meantime, I have service everywhere I want it. Many thanks to @krkaufman for pointing me to MoCA, and to everyone else who offered suggestions.

And for the record, I still see the Port 37 error, even though everything works fine. So yes indeed, Port 37 does seem to be a red herring. Thanks to @JoeKustra for gently guiding me away from that rabbit hole.

JoeKustra and krkaufman like this.
  20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Check on it every few weeks. It may go away for no reason. :D