Network set up questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Putteringalong, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jul 1, 2015 #1 of 11
    Putteringalong

Putteringalong New Member

Jul 1, 2015
    This is my first post. I don't have my TiVo Roamio Plus and 3 Minis yet, but plan to get it this weekend.

I am switching from DISH to Comcast Xfinity; I already have a Comcast connection for my ramp onto the internet.

While I have both ethernet and coax drops, I think I will try to set up a MoCA network.

I will need to add a splitter where the service comes in with one line going to my existing modem. I understand that I should put a point-of-entry filter to stop MoCA traffic from exiting my house. My question is should this filter be before the modem connection or should I use a 2-way splitter with one line going directly to the modem and the other line have the filter before splitting again to all my TiVo devices?

I've heard that all splitters are not created equally, any suggestions of features that I should look for?

Is it correct that I'll need both ethernet and coax connections to the Pro and only coax to the minis?

Thanks in advance for any insights or suggestions.

2. Jul 1, 2015 #2 of 11
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    If I understand your intended setup correctly, you could put the POE filter on either the input side of the primary splitter (the most common method), or on the output leg that feeds all the TVs. The latter might prevent unlikely interference between the moca and internet. This is ok as long as the Pro is creating the moca network.

Most splitters will work fine but something between 1GHz-1.5GHz is recommended.

Correct, for the Pro to create the moca network, it will need ethernet. The Minis will then work with just coax.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Jul 3, 2015 #3 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you have the Ethernet ports available, I'd recommend getting everything working on your Ethernet network... device activation, software updates, recordings and streaming apps setup ... and then migrating to MoCA as you are able.

4. Jul 3, 2015 #4 of 11
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    "I will need to add a splitter where the service comes in with one line going to my existing modem. I understand that I should put a point-of-entry filter to stop MoCA traffic from exiting my house. My question is should this filter be before the modem connection or should I use a 2-way splitter with one line going directly to the modem and the other line have the filter before splitting again to all my TiVo devices?"
    Hi, normally you would be instructed to put the filter on the input of the first splitter to enter your home, but in your case, assuming you have a dedicated line to your modem, you could place the filter on the output of the leg that is feeding all of your Tivo devices. You don't mention what your cable modem is, but some have builtin filters to prevent interference from your MoCA devices, by using the modified setup I mentioned this becomes a moot issue and save possibly having to buy a 2nd filter.

5. Jul 8, 2015 #5 of 11
    Putteringalong

Jul 1, 2015
    I went with the MoCA network, it was very easy to set up and I thought I was home free. But then I tried getting the M-CARD from Comcast to work. After more than an hour on the phone they told me the card was bad and to return it. I did and had the same experience with the second card. :eek:

The next time I asked for two cards. I also read deeper in this forum and found the most helpful bit of information. Do not call the activation number on your receipt. Comcast has a TiVo support department, you can call them directly: 1-855-484-1453

The computer does not answer, a human does, "Hello, this is Comcast support, how may I help you?"

It still took two calls, I was so excited when I saw a picture that I let the first support technician go. A few minutes later when I found that I wasn't getting any of the HD channels I'm paying for I called back and got a self described "expert at cable cards" - she is awesome, held my hand and made me check everything.

Finally, I am now trying to learn the TiVo interface. So far I'm impressed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  6. Jul 8, 2015 #6 of 11
    Mustanger

Mustanger Member

Jun 10, 2015
    I found that number a month or so ago when I first got my TiVo, and after about 2 weeks trying regular Comcast support I called. I had the same wonderful experience as you of actually talking to someone who knew something about the TiVo, and even better yet could get it working. I posted the number in a couple of other threads, but you're the first one I know of that has used it. If you're having cable card issues with Comcast call that number :)

7. Nov 6, 2015 #7 of 11
    Putteringalong

Jul 1, 2015
    this number no longer works
    it goes to their technical support triage
    I moved and need to start over :-(

8. Nov 6, 2015 #8 of 11
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Here are all the Comcast numbers I have from years of calling about Cable Cards. I hesitate to post the tier 2 number as if it's circulated to widely they might shut it down but oh well.

Activate cable card - (877) 405-2298
    Tier 2 cable card support - 1 (877) 761-5015

9. Nov 7, 2015 #9 of 11
    Putteringalong

Jul 1, 2015
    I've got a mess because my life is topsy turvy for awhile...
    We moved from our house of 18+ years into a rental for a few months while a new home is being built. The rental has an HOA requirement to use Comcast for internet and TV. I wouldn't think that this is a problem, but I want to maintain my premium channels with Comcast. So when they set up/merged my HOA account with my personal account the CableCard stopped working. On their 4th try this morning the technician reported that it successfully paired, but I can't watch any channels "Unauthorized" - however the Channel Guide works fine, we can play recorded shows, and stream Netflix and Amazon.

They are sending a technician in a couple of days...

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is this rental a stand alone house or some sort of apartment in a multi-dwelling building?

Trying to figure out how the HOA can dictate cable/internet provider.

Is there a separate company that provides land line telephone service in that neighborhood?

11. Putteringalong

Jul 1, 2015
    It is a house in a planned development.
    The rent includes $85 / month that goes to Comcast for internet and TV. I guess I don't have to use it, but I have to pay it.