Network Remote, what is this

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by lessd, Nov 20, 2008.

1. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

I just found a new (to me ) menu item called Network Remote, I open the menu item and it was disabled with words to the effect that this option should only be used (enabled) by a home theater installer who is installing a network remote.
    Does anybody know how (or is) to make use of this feature ?

This menu item (in the settings menu under something i don't remember) was on an original Series 3 with v9.4. I did not look for it on the TiVo-HD.

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    It's to be used with Creston remote control systems and Creston compatible systems.

These are high dollar full home automation system remote systems. They are controlled through various type of computer controlled contollers.

Check out... http://www.crestron.com/

TGC

3. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    There are a few apps that support it. I've seen screens of an iphone(?) app that acted as the tivo remote.

4. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
  5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

Thanks, but i don't see a use (for me ) for this now.

6. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    The feature was added to allow the DVR to work better with higher end Home theater systems.

It wasn't ever meant to be a feature for the average home user. They just wanted to make sure their DVR was used in the HIGH END market. One of the other reasons why the S3 was THX certified, & why the TiVo HD-XL is also THX certified.

The average home user doesn't care about THX certification. But those spending (On average) $25,000 or more on a Home Theater system DO CARE about THX certification.

Of course there are some average home users that do care about THX and Creston remote control compatibility as well.

TGC

7. kurtgluck

kurtgluck New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    The keyboard feature in the python remote app is great - you can type in words for your wishlists on your pc keyboard!!!!!!!:):up::up::up::up::up:

8. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Huh? where?

Never mind found it.

Mini Review:
    Way cool great app for $2.99. The only thing missing is On/Off, Volume for the TV (but its not a TV remote) and some sort of macro function.

9. danm628

danm628 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 14, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    There is a free TiVo remote application for jailbroken iPhones and iPod Touches, it has been out for several months. I have it, it works well. It and the source to it are available at http://code.google.com/p/tivoremote/. It appears to have the same features as the $2.99 application in AppStore.

- Dan

10. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The jailbreak app is missing text entry, though, which is a HUGE plus for the official app.

11. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Plus you have to Jailbreak your phone. I just don't want to have to hack my Consumer Electronics. <sigh> It also looks like there is a $0.99 app that does the same thing with text entry. I'll have to give it a try as well.

This is way OT for here but either way this is way cool.

12. jon01

jon01 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    long...
    i just got DVR Remote for the iphone and its an amazing app. works great with my Tivo HD and even displays my NPL on the iphone (doesnt transfer/play videos on the iphone though). its only $2.99, i got lucky and got a promo copy, but i would spent the $3.

oh, it also lets you assign favorite channels, so i can press HBO and BAM it goes to channel 750 for me. WiFi channel changing and all other commands go really fast too, faster then IR imo.

- Jon