Network Or TiVo Issue?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Toob_Sox, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Toob_Sox

Toob_Sox New Member

Jun 17, 2010

Advertisements

I have two TiVo series 3 units that I use and transfer shows between. I go to transfer a show from one to another last night only to discover that the "downstairs" TiVo can no longer "see" the upstairs TiVo (in the Now Playing area). It's not even listed anymore.

My network is still good and I have Internet connectivity. I am able to connect to the Internet using the TiVo box (video on demand). The upstairs TiVo can no longer see the downstairs TiVo either. The only thing I've done so far is to power down the downstairs TiVo and fire it back up. Didn't work.

When I look at network connection settings on the downstairs tivo I see a message next to Last Status: "Failed Unrecoverable Error".

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    That's been discussed before. I don't know what causes it, but try rebooting your router. It could be caused by a TiVo (probably the one that disappeared) being given a new address by the router, or something like that.

3. Toob_Sox

Toob_Sox New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    It worked after rebooting the router and both Tivos. Same principle as what you mentioned. Thanks for getting me headed in the right direction!

4. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Nah, it's certainly not the router. It's the TiVos. And it's been happening for as long as I've owned my TiVo HDs (which is almost as long as they've been available).

All my TiVos have static IP addresses, they don't ask the router for DHCP. And yet I occasionally have problems. Also my TiVos are connected by switches and access points that continue to work when this happens. My TiVos will even continue to ping home to the mothership (which they are doing constantly BTW) when this is happening. They just forget about each other.

Nothing but a case of lousy coding by TiVo Inc. They're far more interested in making "deals" with cable companies than they are in fixing long festering bugs.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

If you haven't already, go ahead and give everything on your network that doesn't travel a fixed IP address, and set your router's DHCP range for numbers other than any of the fixed addresses you just handed out.

For example, if your router defaults to 192.168.1.1, set your DHCP range from 192.168.1.251 to 254*, set your computers starting at .101 and your TiVos starting at .201

*if you need more than 4 devices to connect to the network dynamically, lower the start of the range from .251 down as many notches as necessary. If you have enough Tivos and enough dynamically connecting devices that their numbers can clash, you should probably be giving me network advice.

6. Toob_Sox

Toob_Sox New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Makes sense.