Network Frequency Change Not Picked Up by Re-Scan

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Michael Preyer, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Michael Preyer

Michael Preyer New Member

Mar 27, 2019
    San Diego

Advertisements

I live within good antenna reach of San Diego channels and am a new owner of a Tivo Bolt OTA. As of March 26, both Fox and PBS changed frequencies. I have rescanned numerous times and restarted the box numerous times. I can view the Std Def version of Fox, but the HD version says that no channel is detected.
    • Am I overlooking a possible solution?
    • Is this normal for Tivo Bolt OTA?
    • Can anyone here help me?
    • Should I notify Tivo?
    • What am I doing here?
    • Where am I?
    • Who am I?
    Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Michael

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yes, you must notify TiVo of the problem - they have to fix the Channel Lineup that is downloaded to your box before it will work properly. The information on TiVo Channel Lineups and how they work can be a bit complicated, and all the details are available in numerous fairly long posts on these forums. I will repeat some of the bare minimum points here to get you started:

Your TiVo does not receive channels in the simple way that your TV does. The TV does not need any external information to work - it scans the antenna frequencies and displays anything it finds. Most TV channels have embedded information called "PSIP" that tells the TV what channel it is receiving.

A TiVo box does not use PSIP information, and although it can 'see' an active broadcast signal during a scan, it generally cannot do anything with it unless that same channel is properly defined in the Channel Lineup that the TiVo mother ship has to download to every box.

To make things more complicated, the way the current TiVo company (Bad_Rovi) manages their channel lineup is a complete JOKE, and they leave it all on the customer to sort it out. The Channel Lineup in your box probably contains MANY MANY bogus channels that you cannot receive, and YOU have to know which ones they are so you can de-select all the bad ones in the channel list (the box does NOT properly select active channels for you - it seems to be some asinine random choice where some are correct and many are not). When you look at the channel list, if you see any channels listed with an *, it means the TiVo found that channel during a scan, but it is not in the TiVo Channel lineup. If an * channel is checked in the list, you can usually tune to it and watch it live, but there will be no guide information to tell you what is on or allow you to record it.

If there are duplicate channels checked in the list, the box often can only tune into the first one (even if it is a bogus channel that you cannot receive). ANY channel that is checked will appear in the Guide list, even channels that do not exist in your area. The Guide controls how your TiVo tunes in channels.

The one little bit of good news for you is that you are in a metro area, where there are certainly lots of other knowledgeable TiVo customers, so most likely someone has already reported the station change problem and it should be fixed soon.

But you still need to learn how to review and select the correct channels in the channel list. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Michael Preyer likes this.
  3. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
  4. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Make sure you’ve done a full rescan, not just the verification. After the rescan, there will be two of each of these channels in the channel list. Did you go into the channel list and deselect each of the “old” channels and select each of the “new” ones instead?

There likely won’t be guide info for the “new” channels, but this should resolve itself over the next days. At least that’s what happened for me last week when I had to rescan for another station that moved. I also am in the San Diego area.

5. pfiagra

Oct 13, 2014

Advertisements

Here is a screenshot of the old and new Fox San Diego in the channels list:

image.jpg

The “new” frequencies are the ones that are checked off.

Michael Preyer likes this.
  6. Michael Preyer

Mar 27, 2019
    San Diego
    Thanks to all for the terrific replies!

To PFIAGRA, My channel list looks like yours after I rescanned EXCEPT, the second channel 69-1 KSWB is listed as SD (standard definition).

7. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You are apparently running TE4 (HORRIBLE_Hydra). TE3, as shown in the above post, does not include any indication of SD or HD. I wouldn't worry about it too much - you will receive whatever is being broadcast. I have no idea where the SD/HD indication on the channel list comes from - certainly not based on an actual received signal. I base that statement on the fact that the HUNDREDS (literally - HUNDREDS) of bogus channels in my lineup that do not exist in this area at all, but each still shows either SD or HD on my one TE4 box.

If you really want to know what is being broadcast, probably the best option is to connect the antenna directly to the TV and check the channel stats on the TV - it will tell you the truth (instead of the TiVo lies).

8. Michael Preyer

Mar 27, 2019
    San Diego
    Thanks! That explains a lot! I thought the signal on the supposedly SD channel looked pretty sharp. I guess I can learn to live with horrible hydra because so much of the rest of the Tivo experience is wonderful. I cut the cord about 6 months ago and started using HULU Live for my local broadcasts. That was just OK, barely. The DVR was a joke and the streaming was pitiful. When they raised the price to over $60 last month, I looked for a better option. I bought a Tivo Bolt OTA and am LOVING it! This support community is excellent as well. THANKS!

9. pfiagra

Oct 13, 2014
    Ok, so if you are in San Diego, ignore what I stated before. TiVo corrected everything today and all of the old stations are functional with guide data. I had to go back and re-select the "old" channels, and de-select the "new" ones. Go figure.

Michael Preyer and Mikeguy like this.
  10. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    We went through this with KDOC in the Los Angeles area, it took a couple days for things to be fixed after the stations actual frequency changed. Also, Hail Hydra, there I said it. :D TE3 = Windows XP.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And Hydra = a Dick and Jane coloring book? ;)

12. tenthplanet

Mar 5, 2004
    Hydra actually designed for 16x9 TV's :) , TE3 carry over from 4x3 TV's, upscaled from SD :eek::eek:

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    TE3 on my 16x9 TV fits the space fully and just fine, and not as "upscaled."

14. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Someone actually took that bait? I thought it went without saying that the HDUI was designed for HD.

15. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    An HD user interface that was actually designed for the HD format???? Come on now - who is going to believe that? That is almost as dumb as trying to tell them that the old TiVo HDUI was actually designed for USABILITY instead of trying to copy some stupid modern cable-box UI with big pointless pictures for the brain-dead, the pre-schoolers, and the rest of the diaper wearing crowd to look at!!!

There was a time when functionality and usability were King with TiVo; sadly that time is gone.

16. tenthplanet

Mar 5, 2004
    How quickly people forget the screaming and yelling when the original so called HD interface had the same features as the SD interface with no new features. And then not everything was even converted to HD. You can try to make XP look like Vista, but.... That being said wait for what comes after HYDRA, we may be all be screaming :eek::eek::eek:o_O