Network connection problems with Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by benhvic, Aug 30, 2015.

1. benhvic

benhvic New Member

Jun 21, 2004

Advertisements

I have had a refurbished Roamio for one week. Guided setup went fine, connected to my network and TIVO service via ethernet cable to router. However, several times a day it loses connection to the router. When I try to force a connection, i get "there is a temporary problem with the connection to the TIVO service. Sometimes rebooting the router enables it to connect, Sometimes restarting TIVO works, and sometimes nothing works. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have not been able to get the TIVO connected via WIFI, it sees my betwork but will not connect.

I have an internet connected AV receiver, Roku box, Google TV box, and Amazon Fire TV. None of them have a connection or dropout issue

2. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
    how is it connected? Is this a separate Ethernet run, just for the Tivo. Or are all your devices along with the tivo all connected to the same Ethernet run?

Having 4 other devices in 4 different locations (running over 4 different eth cables) doesn't prove anything.

Now if all 4 devices (tivo also) are connected to a switch, that switch connects back to your router... that's different.

How old is the WIFI router and what brand/model is it? Has its firmware been updated lately?

3. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Are you using DHCP to hand out IP addresses? If not, are you sure you aren't assigning another device to the same IP address as your Tivo?

If you are using DHCP - is everything/everyone on your network also using DHCP? Get the IP address your Tivo is using, unplug the ethernet cable from the Tivo and then try to ping the IP address. If something answers then that would be a good start :)

Heck, it never hurts to go set a reservation for the Tivo in your DHCP server then have your Tivo refresh it's network connection to see if it picks up and changes to the reserved address - that would tell you if DHCP is working and if there was an IP address conflict potentially resolve it too. Most home networks have a subnet mask that allows for 254 unique addresses so spread stuff out....

4. benhvic

benhvic New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    All the devices are connected to an eight port switch, back through one CAT5 cable to the router (The router is a Pace 5031NV (ATT Uverse) and the software is up to date. I have tried connecting through 2 other routers via wifi, a Linksys EA6100 and a Belkin N750DB with no luck. The network connection has not failed today, but most days it does.

5. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA

Advertisements

There could be a number of reasons it fails - an IP address conflict is the most logical one.

When you fired up the Linksys and Belking routers, you had DHCP disabled in them, correct?

If your Pace router provided by AT&T is providing DHCP, you DO NOT want any other device to provide DHCP and I'd wager your Linksys and Belkin both come with DHCP on by default as well - and two DHCP servers handing out overlapping IP addresses would ABSOLUTELY cause the behavior you are describing.

EDIT: DHCP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

Devices on your network like your Tivo and computers are hosts.

All hosts need an IP address - they either obtain it automatically from a DHCP server or you manually supply static ones. Gauging by your responses, everything on your network is automatic/dynamic which is a good thing. Just make sure you have only ONE DHCP server active at a time!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  6. benhvic

benhvic New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Guys, thanks for the suggestions. The problem is resolved and I feel stupid after 37 years as a computer tech. (retired now). The first day after I installed the TIVO, it lost connection with the TIVO service for some reason.

I have two CAT cables going from my ATT routers' LAN ports to upstairs. One goes to an Ooma telo device, the other goes to a switch, and from the switch to other devices on the network, including the TIVO Roamio.

While troubleshooting I disconnected cables from ports on the Uverse router and the Belkin wireless router. I managed to connect the cable that goes to the switch (and Roamio) to the Belkin router by mistake. After I connected it to the Lan port on the Uverse router, everything works fine, including WIFI and the TIVO IOS app.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I think most of us have done something like that at one time or another.