network connection aborted by local system

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by hsjfaar1, Nov 7, 2011.

1. hsjfaar1

hsjfaar1 New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I could use some help. I have had no issues at all with the tivo to go. However today I tried to transfer stuff and got the aborted by the local system message, and I can not transfer anything. I have no idea what the aborted message means. The current version I have is 8.2.1. I tried to see if there was an update available and there was not. I have had the premiere and tivo for barely a month. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  3. hsjfaar1

hsjfaar1 New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes. I did mean 2.8.1.. I just tried to uninstall it and it said that all recordings previously transferred will be unplayable. Does that also mean that the ones I made compatible for itunes will not play in itunes. If so that is a problem and I would like to see if there is a work around before I start from scratch. Also it said my desktop plus key will be removed. Does that mean that I will have to buy it again? Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You only get that message because you will be (temporarily) removing the encryption key (your MAK) for the .tivo recordings.
    Once you install the new version and re-enter your MAK, your recordings will be playable again.

I assume that converting a recording to make it compatible for iTunes also removes the encryption. As long as the files don't end with the .tivo file extention, they should be fine.

When you re-install TiVo Desktop, all you have to do is re-enter your existing Plus key, so make sure you have it written down before you uninstall.

If you don't already have it written down and TiVo Desktop does not show you the key, you should be able to look at your TiVo account order history and find it there.