Netlfix - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sptnut, Jun 5, 2011.

1. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN
    I just activated Netflix on my Preimere. Main reason, I did it here instead of the Wii was for HD. These are the only 2 Netflix players I have besides my computer. My Netflix Premiere expereince so far, is that everything that was orginally in 4:3 format plays just fine. But anything that is supposed to be in HD, is playing squished, like its trying to cram everything thats 16:9 format into 4:3 size. Is this normal on the Tivo? I know there's been lots of complants about Netflix on Tivo. My Premiere is hard wired and I have it connected by HDMI, so I don't know if I might have setting wrong somewhere.

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    What do you have your Aspect ratio set to in the Tivo display settings? But not all HD content is necessarily wide screen. HD and Widescreen are two different things.

3. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    You need to check the aspect ratio on your tivo and your TV. My tv was trying to stretch things out all the time and I had to adjust the settings there.

4. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Also note that the TiVo's Aspect/Zoom button has no effect when you're in the Netflix app. You can change the aspect outside of Netflix, and that will get carried into Netflix.

5. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN
    Tried changing the zoom to all three settings without any change (execpt for panel), it made the even more squished.

I guess I should clarify. I can tell the aspect ratio is defiantley off. People aren't that tall and skinny.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Did you also try adjusting the TV's aspect ratio as suggested?

7. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok I did absolutely nothing, didn't change any settings and it seems to be working fine today. Weird!

8. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I don't use the netflix app any more, but I seem to remember that you can't adjust the aspect ratio while viewing a netflix video. I had to exit to live tv, make the change and enter netflix again.

Is this still true? Are you perhaps trying to make your adjustment while in netflix?

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    See post #'s 4 and 5