1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netgear router usb to Tivo support dropped?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jim1971, Apr 13, 2018.

1. jim1971

jim1971 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    I'm happily using a 4 tuner premier to support some minis and watch tv. The only App I ever used was the Tivo to Netgear USB feature to stream music from a USB drive attached to my Netgear R7000 (being used as a wireless access point) to my sound system. Apparently, Tivo and Netgear had an arrangement so it was automatic.

It stopped working recently. I can see the files, navigate the file structures, and get to the 'play' button. When I hit play, I get a network error message now. No amount of reboots and resets fixed it.

A call to Tivo support told me they dropped that feature about a month ago. The Netgear router usb media server checkbox for Tivo does not work anymore, according to them.

Does pyTivo still work? I don't want to jump through the install hoops for it unless someone can tell me I can use it to play music. Plex is too slow to load from a Premier. (I can still get to the music files, but have to press more buttons to do it without Tivo.)

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep--I just used it earlier this week for music.

Try this nice, easy approach to pyTivo: pyTivo Desktop

And discussed here: Easier to use pyTivo

By the way: I had never heard of the Netgear-TiVo app before--it could have been very nice! Is/was it simply one of the apps listed with all the others on the TiVo box?

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I use a Netgear R8000 and EX7000. Both have explicit support for TiVo files. It goes back several years. I used it once, but the process to move the files to the USB drive became more work than it was worth. As for music, when TiVo broke music a while ago, it gave me the incentive to buy a Roku. You can hold a lot of music on a USB memory stick even at relatively high bit rates. Some Netgear stuff supports an eSATA drive too, similar to a TiVo.

4. jim1971

jim1971 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Thanks for the quick replies.

I have a 24/7 laptop working as a media server. I will load pyTivo onto it soon and give it a go. Maybe I will also be able to play some Playon downloads on it from the convenience of a Tivo Premiere interface. If not, just getting back to the music will be a win.

5. jim1971

jim1971 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Thanks. I also have a Roku but I don't like the DLNA interface from it's apps. My preference is an old bluray Sony DVD player with DLNA. The file structure and media info is really easy to read for music.

Roku is perfect for other uses, though. Been thinking about a Roku TV for an office TV. I like the way they put everything on one screen for easy selection without using a 'sources' button.

JoeKustra likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have a Sharp/Roku 32" TV that I use daily. It has very good sound and a nice picture. It better since there isn't much in the way of adjustments. Very low price and the same tiny remote.

7. fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    There are some pretty good deals popping up from time to time on the smaller TCL 4K Roku TVs.

8. jim1971

jim1971 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Follow up:

I loaded pyTivo Desktop on my 24/7 media server, a laptop with a low power old i5 gen 3 processor. It installed and worked great for video uploads. Music still does not work. I get the same network error message when I hit the Play button. Weird. It used to work. (MP3/320k)

BTW, I bought Playon Desktop (on sale now for $30) a while ago and use it for downloads from various sources. They uploaded great to my Premiere. Now videos can be seen on all home devices without using Plex or the Roku Playon app. A Roku TV would change that approach, however.