Netgear networking advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by lloyd, May 13, 2005.

1. lloyd

lloyd New Member

Feb 15, 2003
    Bedfordshire
    Having just added a cache card to my Tivo, I'm trying to sort out the networking side. There seems to be some slightly conflicting ideas floating around regarding compatibility of various bits of Netgear kit, so I'm looking for advice and experience of what others are actually using sucessfully.

My existing router is a DG834GT, which my PC connects to via CAT5, and the next door neighbour (aka the fiancee :D ) connects her PC to wirelessly. If I connect the Tivo via a (long) CAT5 cable, then port forwarding etc. all works and I can access bash and tivoweb from an external address (with a rule in place to only allow from the network I manage in the office).

I made the mistake of buying a ME101 :mad: , which seems to be total c**p. Whilst I'm at home I can make use of it, as long as I keep pings going from the PC to the Tivo. I cannot access it via the external web.

I don't want to change the DG834GT.

So I think I have come up with two possible solutions, but before handing over any more of my hard earned cash, wanted to get the opions of the nice people on this list. :)

1. Use a WGE101, instead of the ME101.

or

2. Buy 2 x WG602 access points. Connect one to the Tivo, and the other to the the DG834GT. Sounds like a bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut, but it may be a solid way to go. These must be v2 or v3 to be able to work in bridge mode.

Many thanks.

2. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    I have an old non-wireless Asus router, a Netgear WG602 Access Point, and a Netgear WGE101 Wireless Bridge. They work very well together, but I don't think that you can get the WGE101 anymore. What's worse, the replacement WGE111 is a games adaptor, and I don't know whether it will support more than one device.

3. adrianeaton

adrianeaton New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    I use a WGE101 with DG834GT and it works fine no problems. I think the wge101 has been replaced with the WGE111 now but is probably similar.

4. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    I use a £32 WRT54G wireless router running Satori 4 in client mode to connect my TiVo to my DG834G access point. Works fine, has a telnet interface as well as web if you feel the need to have an advanced fiddle.

Get Satori (or later Alchemy) from www.linksysinfo.org, load into WRT54G (or GS), select client mode and away you go. Alchemy allows more than one device behind the router.

5. frustratedinSC

frustratedinSC New Member

May 13, 2005
    Netgear sucks, go with Linksys, you can't go wrong

6. noel-pilot

noel-pilot New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    netgear has always been great for me! very reliable too!! i use the netgear bridge for my tivo, xbox and anything else we happen to plug into the hub thats then connected to the bridge! works perfectly!!

7. manolan

manolan New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    LONDON, UK
    Haven't I seen exactly the opposite said as well?!

8. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    I bought Linksys kit to replace old dodgy Netgear kit hoping to get better reliability and features. How wrong I was about the latest Linksys kit.

9. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    And why buy Linksys if you have to replace the firmware with third-party code to get it to work? How mad is that, especially if you're daft enough to buy it with that advanced knowledge. :rolleyes:

10. Milhouse

Milhouse New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    South...
    I dunno about that - I've bought relatively expensive (for home) networking kit in the past and been stuck with disfunctional firmware that can only be fixed by the manufacturer, assuming they are even prepared to acknowledge the problem exists. Can anyone say Draytek? :(

At least with the open source firmware you have a significantly better chance of having a bug identified and fixed in fairly short order.

The open source firmware offers features that are not offered by any manufacturer - at least not in one package - and combined with the improved chances of having bugs resolved rather than ignored this is why I went with open source firmware on Linksys WRT54GS, and I don't regret it for one second :) *cough* also I like to tinker. *cough*

The WRT54G/GS is ridiculously cheap (about £35-40 for the 54G) and combined with open source firmware (free in most cases) you get a product that wipes the floor with kit 3 or 4 times the price.

Bargain!

:)

11. andyc_uk

andyc_uk New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Surrey
    Can i jump in with a question myself. I have just upgraded my Tivo with bigger HDD and CacheCard (thanks to TivoHeaven). I am not a networking whizz and have a Linksys WRT54GS v4 router connected to my desktop PC and running two laptops wirelessly.

I imagined that plugging the Tivo cable into the back of my router would at least get it recognised and make the light go on, sadly not. linksys are not prepared to tell me the router settings to make my Tivo get connected to the net.

Bearing in mind my level of competency, any ideas would be fantastic.

Andy

12. frogster

frogster New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It should make the light go on. If it doesn't then you have an electrical problem.
    For it to work you only need to ensure that the Tivo network drivers know that your gateway IP address is whatever it is. Probably 192.168.1.1

And why should they know that? The problem isn't with your Linksys router (I've installed hundreds and they are the brand I like best) but with the Tivo network card which is very basic and can't handle DHCP at all.

Tell the Tivo network card the IP address of your router and everything in the garden should be blooming.

13. andyc_uk

andyc_uk New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Surrey
    Thanks for the quick reply. The Tivo cachecard defaults to 198.162.1.1 and so is the router.

How can i connect to the tivo to check the settings, if i cannot connect it to my network? (I said i was fresh to this)

Andy

14. frogster

frogster New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I have a Turbonet card, not a cachecard. When I installed the drivers for the card I ran a configuration/installation programme, and one of the questions it asks is what the gateway IP is. If you put in some other address then of course it doesn't work, though you can always reconfigure the router to use that address just long enough to telnet into the Tivo and change the settings. Apart from that it only asks for the subnet mask, and that has to be the same on both machines also.

I don't know to what extent the cachecard is like this.

The router light should come on regardless and if it doesn't then this would indicate some sort of electrical fault (faulty or badly-seated card, faulty cable). This might explain why you are having trouble as apparently your IP settings are correct.

15. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    That may be partly a typo, but the TiVo cachecard default IP adddress is 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.1 is the gateway address which should be the same as your router.

16. ndunlavey

ndunlavey Just a user, really

Jun 4, 2002
    Greenwich
    It's not often you see those words in that order.

17. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Except for the Linksys WAG54G which was the biggest pile of p** I have ever seen, I have had to replace many on site (8 if you include my one at home) as they all failed or were totally unreliable. Replaced with NetGear DG834G which have been fine, maintained VPN tunnels for months at a time.

18. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    NetGear WRG614 here. No problems at all. Then again, I've had it less than 6 months and only have one PC and my Tivo connected to it ;)

19. frogster

frogster New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The WAG54G V1 was very naff.
    The V1.2 was equally naff until the last two firmware upgrades, with which it works perfectly.
    The V2 is also excellent with the most recent firmware.

20. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    All ours were V1 and V1.2. Some just died in the field after say 8-12months others V1.2 had to be continually hard reset and reconfigured every so often. I recently threw away 3 old ones that were 18months old (or older) and dead, the supplier was not interested in taking back nor was Linksys interested as we wanted a refund not a replacement (which some of these were already replaced by Linksys) as all been replaced with NetGear stuff.