NETGEAR Firewall preventing connection?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jon1, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Jon1

Jon1 New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

After enjoying my TiVo for several years now I had this delusion that I could connect it to my wireless network in my home. Wrong...I have a NETGEAR WGR614 router for some time now and yesterday I bought a WG111 network adapter (yes, I checked the serial # to make sure it's TiVo compatible). TiVo software v.7.2. When I set it up is says it can't find my network (it does show the network name during setup). I am thinking there is some sort of firewall in the router that is preventing communication. It sure sounds like it from this quote on the router's box:
    "A true firewall secures your network against hackers: Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Denial of Service (DoS) attack prevention averts potential threats by scanning incoming traffic and Network Address translation (NAT) shields your networked devices from intruders. Powerful WEP encryption (40/64- or 128-bit) on the wireless LAN conceals your information from eavesdroppers. MAC Address Control prevents unauthorized access to your wireless network. VPN pass-through give secure Internet access to your office or corporate network."

I also have Norton Personal Firewall. However I had no problems connecting a second PC and a laptop to my network. I never set up any passwords or special security when I first set up my wireless network. Just plugged it in. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. eluckie

eluckie New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Montgomery, Al
    I had a similar problem a year or so ago when I originally tried to connect our Tivos to our wireless network. I had and still have an older D-Link router and I tried everything I knew to connect with no success. I spent several hours on the phone with Tivo Support and all of their answers fell short too. Eventually, I had the bright idea of upgrading the firmware on my router since that was literally the only thing I had not tried. That fixed it!! I have no idea what it was in the new firmware, but the minute I rebooted the router after the firmware upgrade it began to work and has basically worked flawlessly since then. That was with a D-Link, but maybe if your Netgear router is older you might try that to see if it will help. I am sure you can find the details on how to do that on the Netgear web site.

3. Jon1

Jon1 New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Just in case anybody has the same issue, last night I tried three things:

plugged the adapter into a different port;

deactivated my ZoneAlarm firewall;

pushed the reset button on the Netgear WGR614 router.

And then my TiVo connected!

Since then I reactivated the firewall and it's still connected so I am assuming what fixed it was the reset of the router. Hope this helps somebody!

4. torvald

torvald New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Having the same problem the nightly call has worked with the wireless network for a year, now it won't pull the guide data. it works for the test connection. but a live update connects and then fails to get the guide data. I get a connection interupted error.

I really suspect the firewall is blocking it I need the ports used to open a hole in the firewall.

Sieres 1 stand alone tivo

5. torvald

torvald New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Detroit, MI

Advertisements

Ok just fired up the firewall logs and tried to connect again.

The tivo uses ports 80, 8080 and 123 to make the daily call. these need to be opend for you tivo IP/MAC address.

My tivo started working the second I bypassed the firewall. I can't tell you how to open these ports on your firewall as they all have diffrent menus.