Netflix's Travelers *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Dec 25, 2016.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I'm halfway through this and like it much, much better than The OA. Here's the trailer for the show.

Travelers | Official Trailer

Huh? We can't embed youtube videos using the media tool any more?

2. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    I watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to watching the rest.

3. TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    I had been watching weekly so it was nice to be able to watch the final two episodes without waiting for them to be broadcast. I'm an Eric McCormack fan from Will and Grace and Perception so I was predisposed to liking it but it surprised me with how good it was. Looking forward to the next season.

4. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Sounds sort of like Timeless (which I have only watched the ads for).

5. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003

Advertisements

I like Timeless well enough, but this is so much better.

6. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Good to know. Netflix generally has a better track record.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Bear in mind it's not a Netflix show...it's Showcase (in Canada). Netflix just picked up the US rights.

But it is quite good. Reminds me of another Showcase series, Continuum. Kind of like Syfy, only smarter.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Really liked the first episode. Not so much the second. But I'll continue and see where it goes.

9. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    So are a lot of the BBC shows they pickup but their choices have been pretty high on my personal rotten tomatoes score.

10. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Where were you watching it weekly that you could finish off the last two on Netflix? It's not included (yet) in the Netflix Canada lineup. I thought it was a little confusing through the first 3-4 episodes, but got really interesting as it went along.

My biggest beef is that, as with most time travel shows they make a big deal about not changing things too much. But their means of time travel involves saving people who are about to die. A whole bus load, at one point. Isn't that making a huge change to the past? Their historian notices the little changes and he acts like it's a huge deal. But it's only to be expected.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They've been airing in Canada. It's not difficult to acquire them.

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Watched a couple last night, and noticed a number of Canadian actors previously seen on Continuum.

It's enjoyable thus far.

phox

13. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Right, that is a big consistency flaw in their time-travel model. They even make a point of saying that they have to continue living their host's lives with minimal disruption. But since these people were supposed to die, continuing their lives without disruption is a big change in the timeline. If they really did not want to change the timeline too much, they should pop into people who have at least several years of life ahead of them, and preferably wealthy single, adult loners so they can go about their missions without disrupting things. Or better yet, decide how long a mission would take, say 3 weeks, and then pop into someone who will die in 4 weeks, and then complete the mission and die on schedule. Presumably they are still alive, or at least backed up, in the future, so they could keep sending them back for more missions. Or even send a whole team of the same person for a mission. Heh.

Another inconsistency in their time travel model was in the last episode when they kept talking about how it would take some time for the "director" to reboot and come back online. Ummm, hello? The director is in the future with a time machine. They do not have to wait for the director to reboot, any more than they have to wait for the director to be built for the first time in the future. Either the director was destroyed and never came back online, or else it was back online and able to send messages or people back to any time it wanted. From their perspective, it should be instantaneous (or even faster, since the director could presumably send something back to a time before the moment when Grace initiated the reboot...but they said something about not being able to go back before the latest traveler arrived, so let's stick with "instantaneous after the reboot is initiated").

14. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    A little bit better than the average TV show. Some episodes are better than others.

15. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I've got 3 episodes left to watch and I've really enjoyed it. I liked Perception as well but wasn't a regular Will & Grace viewer.

16. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !!

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I've watched the first three episodes, and I'm liking it. Recommended.

@bareyb

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought it was a good show as a whole, but the ending was a letdown. The cliffhanger wasn't something they'd been building towards; it was mostly a bunch of stuff they just threw in at the end.

18. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    FYI,

The actress that plays 'Marcy' (Mackenzie Porter) also played Bohannan's wife and baby mama on 'Hell on Wheels'.

19. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, but can she sing?

MacKenzie Porter - I Wish I'd Known

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  20. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    So when they arrive their medic implants their communication devices. But how did the hardware get there in the first place? I assume there were earlier teams that set up manufacturing facilities for any advanced tech they required. Have we been shown any such groups?