Netflix with Tivo questions: The Basics?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NJRonbo, Jan 16, 2009.

1. NJRonbo

NJRonbo New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    I never really considered watching downloaded content, but since
    Netflix is now being made available for my Tivo HD unit (basic model),
    I thought it might be a great way to finally watch the "Battlestar Galactica"
    TV series I have been wanting to see.

Okay...so I just have basic questions....

1. Which plan do I need to choose? There are at least three unlimited
    plans on Netflix. What is the actual "unlimited" charge per month?

2. Based on the promise of "unlimited," can I watch 3 seasons of a
    TV series (that's approx. 12 discs worth) for the unlimited price?

3. I have Verizon Fios so I am not really worried about speed or
    download capping. What is the video quality like? Is it at least
    DVD quality?

4. Finally, is everything that is available through Netflix on their
    website also available for Tivo streaming?

Overall, for those of you with Netflix and Tivo, are you satisfied?

Thanks as always!

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    The minimum plan you need is the $8.99 1-disk-at-a-time, "unlimited" plan. Higher "unlimited" plans also work and will get you more DVDs at a time. The lowest level $5 one-disk-at-a-time plan doesn't allow streaming other than to a PC, and only a few hours per month.

On any "unlimited" plan you can stream as much as your ISP will allow.

You should be good with FIOS, but recognize that there may be bottlenecks in the path that will still limit your bandwidth below HD. I've found that the quality level just below HD is very watchable, especially cosidering the price.

The Netflix selection for streaming is a very limited subset of the Netlfix selection. If this is a concern to you you should browse the streaming selection before paying any money. Many people have canceled their free trial very soon after joining after seeing how limited the selection is. I've found a few seasons of TV available but the very recent seasons may not be available to stream.

I've had Netflix since before I had a TiVo, but dropped it for awhile when I realized I wasn't watching as many DVDs as I used to. I see the streaming as a nice add-on to the Netflix DVD plan but I'm not sure whether I'd pay $9/month for just the streaming. One disk at a time works for me, especially when it's easier to get new titles for $1 from one of the RedBoxes close to home than to get new releases from Netflix

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    That is not currently available for streaming. :(
    Netflix has stated it is working on getting more of its selection into streaming and that streaming is the future direction of Netflix.

But you can get the DVDs, rip them to a PC and then copy them to TiVo via PyTiVo or TiVo desktop. Some steps in the middle you have to do but NetFlix rates are pretty reasonable for getting DVDs in the mail. I highly reccomend Netflix.

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I highly recommend Netflix as well, but not for streaming. Selection is way too limited now. But at $9+tax a month, it's no big deal to keep it.

5. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    You might want to check out Amazon Video On Demand... They have all the BSG episodes as well as some free episodes right now.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can only stream simultaneously to your max number of dvds you get at one time. So if you get the 1 at a time unlimited plan, you can only stream to one device at a time.

7. jeffw_00

jeffw_00 Member

Sep 19, 2000
    generally streaming today is represented as "near DVD quality"

8. NJRonbo

NJRonbo New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks for the advice on Amazon, but really, when I finally sit to watch
    this series, I want to watch it on my television, not computer.

The 1-at-a-time unlimited plan sounds fine. There is only one television
    streaming and for $9 a month I have no problem watching one DVD at a
    time as long as I can immediately watch another once it is done.

I do think I am going to hold off for a while. It seems that selection is
    VERY limited, though I would anticipate that Netflix will eventually be
    offering just about everything for streaming that they do on DVD.

9. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Amazon VOD content can be sent to a TiVo:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/ontv

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can't "immediately watch another once it is done" if you have 1 DVD at a time, since you obviously have to return it. (You might be referring to STREAMING but saying DVD?)

I personally think it will be a long time (sure, "eventually" does eventually cover that!) before they have even close to "just about everything" for streaming... Unless they charge per viewing, which unless it were VERY cheap (e.g. literally nickel and diming, or less), I would be against. Think of how much all of the other download or even streaming options are charging.

11. NJRonbo

NJRonbo New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    WoW! Amazon VOD is available on Tivo? Is that built into the software itself?

What is the general price per month for unlimited, or per title (That information
    not available via your link)?

12. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Amazon VOD is charged for per title. You can 'rent' or 'buy'. Renting gives you a day to finish watching from the time you start, buying lets you keep or redownload. Rental prices vary from free for a few items, some for $.99, $1.99-$3.99 or so depending on the item.

If you are currently a TiVo user you can check them yourself in the VOD menu at TiVo Central.

13. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Since we've drifted a bit to Amazon VOD, I'll just add that there are some conditions and shortcomings for both Amazon rentals (a lag time on Amazon where the title is available to purchase but not to rent) and purchases (you can't re-download a purchase during a blackout period when other PPV services have exclusive rights). Search the Amazon threads for more details.

14. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Yes, I agree. I only like to watch on my TV as well. I download shows from Amazon to my Tivo and it works great.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread from Netflix. I only brought up Amazon because the OP wanted to see all the BSG episodes :)

15. NJRonbo

NJRonbo New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Yeah, it seems like Amazon is the better choice.

However, at $1.99 per episode, I could buy each season of
    Battlestar Galactica on DVD for a little more. That price
    is a bit "pricey" for "per episode."

16. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    My biggest complaint about the Netflix streaming is that a lot of the content is shown in Pan & Scan instead of widescreen. For example, I just tried to watch Alien and it wasn't widescreen. In this day and age that's just unacceptable.

17. javabird

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    True, but note that the $1.99 for TV shows at Amazon is for purchase, not rental (the season pass is also a little cheaper). So you can watch them again as often as you want.