Netflix When?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Resist, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

Advertisements

When will Tivo get it. I have it with my XBox 360 and it is cool.

2. lacsap

lacsap New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    The press release mentioned December.

3. skiajl6297

skiajl6297 New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I noticed no mention in the press release of HD content, just netflix availability. Any word on HD specifically being available as a part of the netflix/tivo partnership rolling out in December? Or will we get the netflix first, followed in time by HD support?

4. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I don't think anyone knows for sure. Netflix stated that the Xbox 360 would be the first device to support HD and the remaining devices would get an update to support HD at a later date. We will have to wait and see.

5. tdel73

tdel73 New Member

Dec 26, 2007

Advertisements

I got an email from Tivo last night and all it said was coming next month, no specific date.

6. kevo777

kevo777 My TiVo Gets Me

Oct 22, 2007
    Plano, TX
    I don't understand the struggle with getting streaming HD content from any source other than cable and OTA on TiVo. Amazon VOD still hasn't hinted at anything after how many months? And now Netflix seems hesitant to say much about HD. Tivo, just like the 360, is an HD device. I don't understand why the powers that be would just assume that we won't be even a little curious about it.

Throw us a bone, Netflix and Amazon!!!!

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Netflix already streams HD through the XBox.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    i think it's the content owners being difficult about licensing the people that could stream stuff.

9. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Xbox 360's AND the Netflix Enabled Blu-ray players are BOTH able to view HD streaming. Provided of course you have the internet bandwidth to support the HD streaming.

I don't have a Netflix Roku box so I don't know if HD content is available with it as well.

I am sure HD content will come with the TiVo since it is allready available with the XBox AND the Blu-ray players as well.

TGC

10. JC Fedorczyk

JC Fedorczyk New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Huntersville...
    HD isn't enabled on the roku box yet. I would imagine that it would be enabled when they switch over the rest of their providers like tivo. What I would love for them to do is show which movies are HD in the queue

11. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a Roku as well and they said it will be "before the end of the year".

They also said that they will be using more advanced codecs than used on the Xbox360 to allow the same or better HD quality at a lower bitrate.

And finally, they said that they would be adding something BIG in the same software upgrade but won't say what it is. I am wishing for Hulu, but who knows what it might be?

Once both the TiVo and Roku have the HD NetFlix streaming, I may sell the Roku. Unless of course it does it a lot better than the Series3 does.

Dennis

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I think what they meant to say is the Roku box has a very small buffer and will have to use a lower bitrate version to get "HD" streams. However, they try to make it sound like they are doing it because the Roku box is somehow better than the XBox.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    not sure what to make of it but i doubt they (roku) would get their own codec.

14. rjom

rjom Member

Feb 28, 2004
    I was thinking about getting a Blue Ray player that streams Netflix. But if Series 3 does the same, not sure it is worth it. I have 1080P TV. Does anyone have both to compare PQ between a TIVO HD, and Blue Ray 1080p picture? Saw no threads comparing. Thanks, Rick.

15. dotorg

dotorg New Member

Jul 3, 2000
    Having watched a few of the (extremely limited) HD programs on Netflix using my 360 -- there's so little HD content and the quality is so low, even if Tivo doesn't have it right away it won't impact the majority of people. HD shows aren't even nearly DVD quality, even if they are sometimes visibly better than the non-HD streaming shows.

Netflix needs to work on the quality and quantity of their HD offerings, and work on getting their non-HD programs at least something close to what you'd get on one of the over-compressed digital cable channels. I don't expect DVD quality from them.

16. Kighter

Kighter New Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Georgia
    The resolution (1080p=1920x1080) is only part of the equation. Bitrate - how compressed the material is is another arguably just as important part.

I can't speak for Netflix' HD streams specifically, but in general BluRay looks better than anything by far. Better than iTunes HD downloads, better than on-demand HD, better than Sony PS3 HD downloads, and I would assume better than Netflix HD downloads.

The bit rates are huge on the disk video. Like 4x higher at least. BluRay is even better than broadcast HD by a lot. I happened to have a couple episodes of Lost recorded on my TiVo HD when I rented a BluRay of the same season to catch up. So I was able to do a back to back comparison of 2 episodes and holy cow what a difference. Can also do that comparison on movies that air on the cable networks. And on premium cable series that are on BluRay too.

Part of it depends on your broadcaster (cable co. vs off-air, etc) and how much they are allowed to compress and how much they do so. But generally speaking BluRay is significantly higher quality.

$.02

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Agree 100% however if you can see the increased quality depends on:
    1. Your TV and how well it has been calibrated.
    2. How Far you sit from your TV
    3. How good your eyes are

Which means that people with good eyes who sit close to high quality properly calibrated larger HD TVs will notice the difference the most.

Thanks,

18. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been considering purchasing a Blu-Ray player and you may have convinced me to go ahead and do that. I didn't realize that there would be such a noticeable difference between broadcast HD and Blu-Ray.

Now I want to see it for myself! :)

So thanks for putting me into further debt. (just kidding)

Dennis

19. Kighter

Kighter New Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Georgia
    LOL Sorry

I'm sure it depends on the source material but here are some other examples:
    Harry Potter 5
    Band of Brothers (Woah Way Nice)
    Wall-E (Apple TV HD v BluRay - obviously not broadcast yet)

As atmuscarella pointed out it does depend on your system, but for me it was alarming. I knew downloads wouldn't be great, but I thought broadcast would be pretty good. I didn't know how good BR would be...

Enjoy.

BTW - PS3 via HDMI to a Sony SXRD.

Oh and the next thing after that will be audio. 7.1 uncompressed - eeks.

20. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So far, the only type of on-demand content I have seen that even comes close to the quality of Blu-ray is Vudu's new HDX format. Of course, it's anybody's guess as to how long Vudu will remain in business.