Netflix Watch it now coming December 1, 2008

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by techieunite, Nov 15, 2008.

1. techieunite

techieunite New Member

Oct 18, 2005

Advertisements

I called up Netflix and was wondering when Watch it Now was coming to the Series 3 and Tivo HD.

I was told December 1, 2008.

That begs two questions
    1) Is a new software update required on the Series 3 and Tivo HD for this to work?
    2) Is there something that you must enable on your Tivo account for this to work.

The gentleman that I spoke with at Netflix said that Tivo would be handling support for this boxes. This is the same thing that Netflix did with Roku.

I really like the Watch it now options. They've recently added all "Stars" content, which includes movies like Superbad, Pirates of the Carribean, etc.

Not really huge hits, but something you can watch when you board. I'm more interested in the documentaries, special interest shows, etc.

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Yes an update is required. November/December every year is when TiVo usually makes it's "Fall Update". So therefore the educated guess worth betting on is that Netflix is coming with our "Fall 2008 update".

There is also speculation that "HAWK" the new TiVo user interface will also be coming in the "Fall 2008 update" however I personally highly don't beleive so. Usually new features about the "Fall Updates" leak out ahead of the update. Since we haven't heard much about this new feature yet I don't think it will be here.. Possibly in the Spring 2009 update.

Keep in mind that HD will be coming with Netflix as well. Netflix "Watch Now" is allready available on SELECT BLU-RAY players such as the Samsung BD-P2500/2550 and LG.

Xbox 360 will also have Netflix capability on November 19th with it's "Fall 2008 Update" as well.

With play Now software from "Themediamall.com" you can get Netflix as well as hulu on your Xbox 360, PS/3 and other devices.

TGC

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  4. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Hawk?? Is that some beta name? New TiVo user interface? Is it the same interface that was posted around the web as part of some tivo survey a few months back?

5. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

Yes, I think he's referring to the UI posted as part of the survey. Even though this was just a mock-up of a new UI purely for survey purposes, a lot of people took that to mean that this is an actual upcoming UI change that is coming in the next software update, which seems *highly* unlikely since it was just a mock-up. Nobody to my knowledge has ever seen this working; it was purely a series of images for a survey.

6. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    where are they coming up with the name "Hawk"? Maybe they are part of a beta program named "Hawk"?

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    TiVoPony said hawk was a marketing focus group and to not read any more than that into that engadget posting.

Persoanlly I think Tivo would have to do a lot of work to make that interface happen for series 3. it makes more sense that they are lookiing at what to do for the series 4 model since they are starting from a new code base in order to include tru2way/OCAP anyway.

For myself they could just make netflix a text line item on the menu and then have movies from my instant play queue show up like a now playing list - as long as they are easy to find and play I will be a happy camper and already run Netflix queues from my PC web browser anyway so no big deal to me to keep doing that

8. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Yep... I did a survey on it as well. I know someone who has it running as a beta on his TiVo. Quite nice... "Hawk" is the beta name for it.

Some of said that it will be released soon. I don't think it will come as a fall update this year.. I think the soonest would be Spring 2009, or more than likely... Fall 2009 update.

TGC

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That's disappointing. The current UI is so...pre 2000, but I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer. :D

10. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    You've seen this with your own eyes? Running on a S3/THD? Because if thats true, that news to many of us who thought Hawk was purely a marketing test and not even anywhere near implementation.

11. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    Hawk has nothing to do with "New TiVo user interface"* it just the Fall 2008 Service Update which adds support for
    Netflix(And Netflix is a different beta from Hawk) and some other fixes.

*Not saying there is not just that Hawk has nothing to do with it.

God, TexasGrillChef I have no idea who your getting info from but it's all wrong.

12. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Then why does EngadgetHD refer to the new UI as "Hawk"? This link seems to answer my own question if it turns out to be true.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/10/tivo-soliciting-beta-testers-for-hawk-series3-tivo-hd-softwa/

13. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    There just adding 2 and 2 together and getting 5. Now why is EngadgetHD refer to the new UI as "Hawk". I have no idea, But I have seen Hawk and there is nothing new about it(other then some fixes).

I can't say much(The person who does have Hawk is under an NDA and they were nice enough to still let me see it, So I don't want to get them in trouble with Tivo.) but what I can say is:

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Hmm. Do they have code names for every release? Eagle, Falcon, etc.?

15. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    They actually don't. They talk about "Hawk" and about the new UI, and then say "we can't help but think the two are related." They're just making an educated guess, which may or may not be correct.

16. Southie Boy

Southie Boy Member

Jun 21, 2008
    They typically use the name of some predatory animal, and they never give the details of the test in the invitation email. You get details only after agreeing with the NDA. Endgaget is purely guessing, and probably guessing wrong.

17. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    predatory? why?

18. Southie Boy

Southie Boy Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I have no idea why. Although, I do recall a test called Koala, a bear yes, but unless you are a eucalyptus leaf hardly predatory.

19. bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    any confirmation that we'll get netflix in hd on december 1st? (if indeed it is updated on dec. 1) i thought xbox has exclusive netflix hd rights for some period of time.

20. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Ah, yeah, I read it again and see what you mean.