Netflix Watch Instantly on TiVo - Excellent

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mtchamp, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1 of 44
    mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA

Advertisements

I wasn't a Netflix subscriber until Watch Instantly became available. I have the $8.99 plan and don't bother with the one DVD at a time so Netflix should offer a Watch Instantly only plan for less. The family is in a habit of using it frequently and find many movies, documentaries, biographies and other content to keep us from searching and recording such content on the TiVo and saving disk space.

My Netflix service has worked flawlessly with great picture quality on a Comcast broadband wired connection to the TiVo. I wondered how many others have become lazy with the TiVo search and record function since Netflix has so much VOD for a flat rate monthly fee. We still take advantage of Season Passes for our favorite weekly programs and Wishlists for certain actors and subject matter, but Netflix Watch Instantly has become a must have. I love YouTube on my TiVo as well, but Netflix Watch Instantly appears to be the best priced business model for content delivery to the TV without commercials via broadband.

2. Mar 4, 2009 #2 of 44
    Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    I have the same plan with them and it works great. My Tivo HD is hard wired with cat5e and I use Verizon's DSL service. Like you, my NetFlix service has worked with no problems at all.

3. Mar 4, 2009 #3 of 44
    fyellin

fyellin New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Silicon...
    Thanks for the info. I spent about ten minutes trying to find out what the cheapest monthly Netflix service was. The web site makes it remarkably hard to find that information. They seem to want you to sign up for the 15-day free service, and they'll tell you the price later.

How long does a movie download take? What percentage of their movies are available?

4. Mar 4, 2009 #4 of 44
    pcbrew

pcbrew Member

Mar 14, 2008
    DFW
    I just use Netflix to augment my viewing choices. They still don't even had much content 11K titles vs. the 100K titles Netflix has on DVD.

BTW, if Netflix alone gives you want you need, you may want to check into the Roku Netflix box if you need another box. It's only $100, no fees (other than Netflix) and they just added Amazon On demand (extra, per show cost).

5. Mar 4, 2009 #5 of 44
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004

Advertisements

Any unlimited monthly rental plan will work with Netflix watch instantly.

And you don't download the movies. They are streamed so it only takes a few seconds to start the movie. Of course, it does require you to have a decent internet connection for it to be able to stream reliably.

6. Mar 4, 2009 #6 of 44
    Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    They have 12,000 titles available to watch instantly. Not just movies either. They have entire seasons of TV series from the History channel, Discovery etc.

7. Mar 4, 2009 #7 of 44
    mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    Wow! A thread to praise the Netflix streaming service. Refreshing :).

8. Mar 4, 2009 #8 of 44
    PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    The majority of what I watch is via Netflix. I have found some shows with less desirable video quality as well as some with audio sync problems. Last week, for the first time I had the HD Tivo lock up several times while trying to watch Netflix VOD. It did this for about 2 days, then all was well again. We are on the 2 at a time unlimited plan but may cut back to 1 at a time because lately we have trouble watching 4 dvds a week - the last time I checked it worked out to less than $1.00 a dvd, closer to 80 cents and that does not count the "Watch Instantly" stuff.

9. Mar 4, 2009 #9 of 44
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Netflix does have a plan for unlimited instant watching, $7.99, no DVDs. Go into your account and to where to change plans, then 'Show Additional Plans'

10. maggiefan

maggiefan New Member

Feb 16, 2009
    I joined Netflix last weekend and it's working great, no problems so far. I have AT&T dsl and it is wired to the TiVo through my router. Watched three movies and no gliches at all.

11. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have been using Netflix since the beginning. I waited a few days after the initial release because I new the network would be stressed, but I have had no issues at all. I love it.

We have a lot of people on this site complaining about the connection - but I just have not seen any of the issues.

12. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    You'll note that that plan is restricted to the Starz Play stuff, currently 1257 titles (out of a total that's supposedly 12,000+); I'm not sure that any of it has HD encodings. Getting access to another 10,800 streaming titles with one-disc-at-a-time rental seems quite a lot for an extra dollar.

13. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have had nothing but problems with Netflix and my Tivo. Can't seem to watch a movie all the way through without it stopping or kicking me back to the Netflix main screen.

On the other hand, I have had ZERO issues with Netflix on my XBox 360.

14. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    You just had to break the all positive ambiance of this thread, didn't you :rolleyes:. I knew that somebody would :D.

15. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    that would not include the Netflix movie library either.

16. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Sorry :p

17. Brad516

Brad516 Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Gaithersburg...
    It's been working great for me from the beginning, with only a couple of glitches.

18. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    Eh--it's just tit-for-tat. We who've had a good experience with streaming Netflix rudely interjected our positivity into the whiny Netflix threads :).

19. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    Netflix cured my urge to download, but not my male pattern baldness, but there is still hope.

I do hope they add some of the older TV series that I have not seen for a while. I really have become a Netflix enthusiast and check the Netflix site almost daily to see what is new. I love old B&W as well as new, so Netflix is ideal for me, and the "Watch Instantly" is just icing on the cake. We have dropped some more expensive premium services from our cable account, saving a lot of money. We just don't watch the other services much these days.

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    just because your one TiVo is having problems does not mean there is not a flawless performance on our TiVo DVRs. ;)