Netflix: The Umbrella Academy - all season 1 thread - spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....

Advertisements

Since people want to discuss the show and are having to watch the spoiler tags on the other post, I figured I’d just go ahead and start a season thread.

Kid who played number 5 was awesome. I loved Klaus. I look forward to learning what new abilities he finds out about himself.

Where did dad know about the fact that the apocalypse was coming? Was he one of the watchers? Is he an alien (don’t laugh - on reddit people there think he was due to some sort of spaceship in the episode where he is young and his wife dies)?

I find Luther and Allison’s relationship skeevy. It icks me out.

BrettStah likes this.
  2. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Totally agree that the kid did a good job as an almost 60 year old man in an adolescent's body. Very believable.

Also agree about the Allison-Luther relationship. Even if they aren’t blood related (we really don’t know given their birth), they are still brother and sister. Too "Woody Allen" for me.

Mary J. Blige was a total badazz and apparently she did a lot of her own stunts.

I hope the time jump brings back everyone in Season 2.

lalouque and BrettStah like this.
  3. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    This is the main question in my mind. He was so certain the world needed saving by the kids...how come? Granted, his character in the show was extremely gifted, intellect-wise...maybe he reasoned out the probable future.

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    He is certainly an alien; or at least he represented himself to be an alien when he arrived at Ellis Island, among the other aliens.

I sounds like you didn't see that episode?

It might be reasonable to reason out a probably future; it would not be reasonable to reason it out with the accuracy of days without also predicting that Vanya was the proximate cause, in which case he would have much easier ways to prevent the disaster. Time travel of some sort seems the only reasonable explanation, but I think we'll need to wait for the next season (or read the comic) to find out.

5. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.

Advertisements

I did see that episode/scene, but I forgot about it until you mentioned it...oops...

6. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I know he came to the US via that way. That wasn’t what I meant. Somebody on reddit mentioned spaceships. That kind of alien

7. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    I think he was definitely on another planet and the circumstances surrounding a person he had to leave behind on it partly explain his personality.

I thought the chimpanzee cgi was the best chimpanzee cgi I have ever seen but did wonder if so much time and money was spent on it a couple of other cgi effects were not as good as they could have been.

8. robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    BB03949C-934C-4B40-9906-1B0456E87B51.jpeg i was doing a series rewatch, and i think it was episode 3, you can see "mom" sewing something that looks like the moon with a chunk coming off

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  9. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    This was clearly shown in the last episode, there is no confusion?

No cellphones?

Loved the season, even the ending.

10. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

Although I think this is one of the examples of the cgi money running out.

Blink and you could miss the couple of distant rockets rising vertically.

Even if you didn't blink you could miss the strange machinery that suggest the rockets were rising from an alien planet - although it could also be this planet in the future. Timey Wimey.

11. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You didn't pay attention and are trying to blame the production.

12. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

If the scene is explained by Timey Wimey it is the highest compliment I could pay it.

See the Timey Wimey speech in a story called Blink (which of course means Don't Blink).

13. Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Yes, I missed the spaceships in the back. Sue me. But no need to be rude about it.

Dargon and jasrub like this.
  14. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Meant to comment on this as well as I didn't understand the reason - there was no sign of a cell phone for any character that I saw.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The comic takes place in an alternate universe (Kennedy wasn't assassinated). It's also set in 1977, so cell phones weren't an issue for them.

Maybe we can assume that if Kennedy had lived, the cell phone industry never would have gotten off the ground? :D

16. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I’d trade my cell phone for a talking chimp.

lalouque likes this.
  17. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    This was set in the current time thought right and Kennedy was assassinated?

Who was rude?

I think anyone can say "time travel" to explain anything in any show. This had the appearance of him being an alien and he arrived in the US a long time ago. Since the world was destroyed it seems unlikely he came from the future.

Conceptually the group trying to keep everything as destined makes little sense, if Kennedy was destined to die then he will, if not then them interfering to make him die is interfering - if you see what I mean :)

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    If the chimp takes messages, sure. And can order me a pizza.

realityboy likes this.
  19. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I know nothing of comics and thought this took place now. There was no reference to Kennedy.

He probably can take messages. As far as ordering a pizza, I'll go with yes there too (from a landline phone obviously) or he can maybe wire you up a housekeeper who can make you a pizza.:D

20. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    They didn't do it for episide one, but I did like the way the worked in the title of the show for each episode. Very inventive.

Klaus got the extra power of having the dead be able to move and touch things in our world.