Netflix Streaming Quality

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by indychris, Feb 26, 2011.

1. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed a difference between streaming Netflix via TiVo and another streaming source?

I have both a TiVo Premiere and a Mac Mini connected to my Samsung Plasma TV. Both are connected via HDMI. Both are hardwired to my network which has EXCELLENT throughput. I thought it may have just been the time of day at first, but it had started to seem that Netflix streaming via my Mini was a bit better than what was coming through my Premiere. I like the pause and rewind/ff features better on TiVo, so I've been using it primarily.

Tonight I put on an episode of 24 season 1 via my Mini and again it just seemed like a significantly better picture. So I decided to put it to the test. I have streamed them both--same episode back-to-back-to-back-to-back to see and there is definitely a better quality picture coming from my Mac Mini.

It makes me wonder if I don't have a setting correct on my TiVo somewhere. :confused:

2. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Picture quality is worst on TiVo vs any of the other streaming platforms I have, too. The advantage is the tivo-like controls, but you end up with a muddy picture (that crashes, too). I don't use TiVo for streaming Netflix anymore.

They DESPERATELY need to update their netflix player.

3. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    So do you think it is a hardware limitation, or would a software update be able to salvage the streaming capability?

4. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I definitely think a software update can take care of the issue. The TiVo Netflix player is one of the oldest out there, and it definitely shows.

Question is, if TiVo can't be bothered to even finish the HDUI on their flagship box in the YEAR since release, will they bother updating the Netflix player?

5. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011

Advertisements

Quite the depressing, yet pertinent thought. :(

6. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Netflix on TiVo satisfies the "checkbox" criteria - nothing more. It's buggy and TiVo either can't or won't update it.

TiVo makes a great DVR (although the basic functionality has not changed in many years) but pretty much sucks at everything else they try to layer on top.

7. Raech

Raech TiVo-ed since 11/00

Oct 2, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And if they would change that and get streaming netflix and it's other features running well.... I would buy a premier. I hardly ever watch my Series 2s anymore. They will need the Insight communications miniboxes to work soon. I will not be getting them.

What am I using you ask? The HD DVR from my provider of course. Would I like it to have a more tivo like interface? Yes. Do I miss tivo? Yes.
    Enough to put up with the issues I read about Premiere? No, And if you look at my join date you know saying this pains me. A lot! I miss tivo, but what good is an HD interface that freezes? I want a keyboard for it, but I hear horrid things about that remote which I have to pay extra for.

8. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I don't know... I access Netflix via one of my computers to set up my instant queue, but watch via my TivoHD. I haven't had any problems, except with some old shows where the encoding didn't seem to be correct for the Tivo, so I ended up watching those shows on a WinXP computer. I don't use my S2DT much, unless I have more than two shows to record at the same time.

9. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I just got a premeire and I don't like TIVO's netflix interface. I also have a ROKU box and TIVO can learn something from it's UI. It is faster and looks 10 times better as well as being able to search the streaming library and you instant watch cue. I just don't know why if a little box like ROKU can do that sort of advanced UI why can't TIVO. I also think the quality looks better on ROKU. So right now I switch over to the ROKU to stream. I am hoping the HULU + UI is more user friendly. With HULU I really only watch things in my cue so if it just does that then it would be OK.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's the best picture qulaity for me since the TiVo is the only one that will send the native output and let my external scaler do it's job. So it easily beats the PS3 and all the other Netflix devices I've tried.

Although I do find I'm using Netflix on the Boxee Box more and more now. Even though the picture is inferior to my TiVo. The Boxee Box is faster and more convienent to use for me. Plus with only a six device limit on Netflix, I can't have all my TiVos active since I already have my three Boxee Boxes active for Netflix streaming.

11. igirl

igirl Member

Feb 5, 2011
    NorCal
    I have a Premiere on the way and will be able to compare it to a Roku XD.

What I'm really wondering beyond this question - is if the Tivo box will be able to display the extended menus and zillions of alternative channels that the dedicated Roku box has for Netflix - or ONLY show your Instant Watch Cue?

12. Gobbledygook

Gobbledygook New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I HATE HATE HATE HATE TiVo Premiere's NetFlix streaming feature. It's nearly impossible to navigate and use.

1. When trying to access NF from my "Now Playing" list, TiVo often freezes and, then, I have to reboot the box to regain functionality.

2. When trying to play a movie, I have to click "Play" then return to the screen two! more times to click "Play" again before the movie will actually start streaming; and, even then, the screen will freeze and crash while "retrieving data".

3. The screen constantly freezes and the movie plays in fits and starts throughout. One movie, in particular, would not play for more than two minutes before freezing.

4. While playing movies, the screen will randomly go black, forcing me to return to the menu and click "Play" MULTIPLE TIMES AGAIN!!!! A 90 minute movie can take 3 hours to watch at this rate!

5. Forget about watching foreign films (the majority of my NF viewing), because the subtitles get cut off at the bottom of the screen. If I switch the screen format to create faux letterboxing, the subtitles get cut off behind the black mask.

If I was opting for the NF "streaming only" service, I would be compelled to lose the TiVo Premiere and buy/lease a different machine, costing me more money and forcing me to say good-bye to TiVo.

And now that NF is producing original exclusive programming for their streaming customers, TiVo had better update their systems or they will be losing customers right and left.

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Are you sure the problem is not your TiVo to Internet connection speed/quality or your bandwidth through your ISP to Netflix? That is the #1 and #2 source of Netflix complaints/problems, neither of which are TiVo's "fault". Granted, TiVo's Netflix program/interface is horribly old and outdated, but I have never seen the above problems you list.

14. aavi722

aavi722 New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I have had my Premier just a few weeks. It has frozen only one time so far. I'm using the non HD menu and I'm just as happy using that compared to the fancy one.

The quality of my videos look pretty good to me. I don't see any difference compared to HD television on the DirecTV receiver.

I find many STARZ or Encore movies on DirecTV are terrible quality. My Premier has not disappointed me so far---in Netflix streaming.

You Tube, that's another story.

15. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I have an XBOX 360 and a TiVo Premiere coming off of the same 10/100 ethernet hub. I'm getting all kinds of Netflix errors. Navigating my Instant Queue is like swimming in mud and the playback quality almost always is low bandwidth looking blocky and grainy. If I switch over to the XBOX it is fast and normally in HD quality. This Netflix app is horrible on the TiVo.

Please fix!

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't have those issues at my place with FiOS, or even at my girlfriends house. She only has 1.2mb/s DSL line and Netflix plays with zero issues on her connection from the Premiere. OF course it's at the lower SD bitrate, but there are no buffering issues. It plays just as well as it does at my place with my FiOS commection , but at my place it's always at the max HD bitrate.

17. eatmyjustice

eatmyjustice New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Just thought I would add to this thread too. I have an xbox 360 and a wii that stream netflix movies w/o any problems. For simple convenience, I'd prefer to use my premiere to stream netflix but the netflix implementation on the premiere is really not very good compared to just about any other product. I continually get sync issues and video artifacts. Sadly, I don't expect it to be resolved anytime soon and will just use the tivo for dvr functions. bummer

18. rjspring

rjspring Member

Jul 16, 2008
    The Tivo Netflix interface is a very sorry state of affairs. They were one of the first to jump on the Netflix bandwagon and the first to implement HD streams - now the interface is almost unusable and the streaming quality sucks compared to other devices (constant re-buffering, aspect ratio issues).

I use my PS3 for Netflix streaming now - hands down one of the best Netflix interfaces, I wish Tivo would hurry up with an update.

19. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    its basically unuseable, I often get frustrated when it doesn't respond to commands and resort to watching on my pc. getting a roku next week, yet another box to do something my tivo was supposed to handle out of the box.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I never have any of those issues when streaming from my Premieres with my FiOS connection. Even when I stream using my girlfiends ultra slow 1.25 mb/s DSL connection there are no buffering issues.
    I haven't noticed any aspect ratio issues.

The TiVo Netflix interface is best for titles you already have in your queue. And when I play back netflix content on my main setup from TiVos, I have not seen any device able to beat the video quality since the TiVo outputs at the Native resolution and my own devices do the scaling and noise reduction/ehancement.

Even recently when there were connection issues to Netflix using one of my Boxee Boxes, I switched to the TiVo and everything streamed fine.
    Over the last few weeks I've streamed 5 to 8 hours of HD from Netflix each week between my Boxee Boxes and TiVos. I've had zero issues with the TiVos while I've had some issues with Netflix and the Boxee boxes.