Netflix Streaming Changes

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Charles R, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA

Advertisements

I searched yesterday and didn't find any information so I'll ask here... I just started using TiVo to stream Netflix again (last week or two) and the Netflix app is acting different on two fronts. One is it likes to continually display Retrieving where before it was a rare occurrence and now it will no longer drop below HD bars (quality) as it would before (unless I'm mistaken and thinking of another device).

Nothing has changed about my available bandwidth and I only use it for streaming (I always have 5.1Mbps free and it tests rock solid during the streaming period as well as any other time.

I called Netflix and they stated my connection was very solid and had no explanation. Later I called TiVo and the support rep stated they had changed their app based on changes Netflix had recently made... he didn't say what the changes were. However I went to Netflix and changed my Video Quality setting from Best to Good and it streamed like a champ. Although the image was far inferior to anything I streamed previously. I also spent an hour streaming Hulu Plus (at 3.2Mbps) and it worked perfectly. My understanding is TiVo streams Netflix at 3.8Mbps which is well below my free bandwidth so I don't see what happened or why it's happened? Anyone else experiencing something similar?

I'm going to try another Roku 2 and see if it streams wonderfully as it did before I reverted back to TIVo. I was getting solid HD out of it with only the occasional drop in quality. A minute or so per hour on average (so you see the Roku adjust the image quality on the fly).

UPDATE: The Roku 2 streams like a champ in HD (as good or better than the TiVO in HD). So I still think it's an issue with TiVo's Netflix app... it's simply not working as well as before.

2. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've seen quirks in the TiVo app like that. It seems odd when it drops below HD for me, as I have 20Mbps DL speed. Some days it works perfectly, and others it doesn't.

Just bought a Samsung TV with a native Netflix app, so I rarely use the TiVo app.

TiVo's a very good DVR, but it's not a great streaming machine, it seems.

3. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Strange, I was using Netflix on my Tivo HD for a year now and I did not have the "buffering" or lag others have mentioned, but the last 2 weeks the quality has been poor.

Nothing has changed with my network, what can be going on where our Netflix streaming is effected?

Thanks,

Shane

4. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Yeah, their service is getting worse and they're charging more. No more Netflix streaming for me.

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD

Advertisements

When you see stuttering, do you report it on the Netflix site? I've used that, and they do appear to read them. Service got better and now they send periodic email queries on specific shows to see if they viewed okay.