Netflix. Should I risk it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by poulos_tim, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 #1 of 25
    poulos_tim

poulos_tim Not-So-New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Lancaster, PA

Advertisements

I've had my TiVo Premiere XL for a few months now and haven't experienced any lockups or other issues that seem to be frequently reported here. I'm interested in trying out the streaming plan offered by Netflix. Am I tempting fate by trying out this service? It seems that this is the cause of many of the lockup issues reported by users on this forum. Should I experience any issues with the Netflix streaming video, would these issues cease if I simply stopped using the TiVo to stream these movies or is the system stability already compromised at that point?

2. Feb 2, 2011 #2 of 25
    HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010
    Yes! go for it. I actually prefer it over ps3 for OAR and no lockups when fastforwarding. I have over 500 items in the netflix queue and it works great.

personally I only have lockups on tivo when more than 60 shows under the dvr playing list. Transfer them to pc and all is well.

3. Feb 2, 2011 #3 of 25
    ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    The (small) risk involved is that your TiVo may lock up while it's streaming. When that happens, any active recordings you have will abort. Your TiVo will completely hang until you pull the power plug, put it back in, and wait until it boots. At that point, any active recordings will continue.

I rarely have a large number of shows on my TiVo but record something most evenings. I have lost shows multiple times and eventually gave up using the TiVo for Netflix. This was even while connected via a wired connection.

4. Feb 2, 2011 #4 of 25
    poulos_tim

Feb 14, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    So, is the TiVo streaming items from Netflix while I'm not actively watching a streaming title? I'd be worried if the machine locked up while unattended and I didn't realize it until some recording are missed.

5. Feb 2, 2011 #5 of 25
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

You are streaming, not downloading. It would have no communications with netflix if it was not in use.

I love my netflix on tivo. Works great for me.

6. Feb 2, 2011 #6 of 25
    JPS10

JPS10 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I have had good luck with Netflix on the Premiere. If you are not actively watching a Netflix stream, the only other time it will have any interaction with the network due to Netflix is if you change you instant que...it will update your line up.

Of the net based options on Tivo, I think Netflix would be the least likely to cause issues. On the forums there seems to be more trouble with youtube and others...

I consider NetFlix an important feature of my Premiere. Don't get locked into the 'Chicken Little sky is falling' trap just because there are some people on the forum who have reported issues, many more are using it with good results. Reading this forum almost convinced me not to get the Premiere. I took a chance and am satisfied with mine even though it is not perfect. Of course being a piece of cable TV equipment I did not expect it to be. That is a another topic for another thread....the sorry state of the TV/Movie industry.

7. Feb 2, 2011 #7 of 25
    Brighton Line

Brighton Line Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I stream Netflix on an XL without issues.
    I have Netflix on Xbox360/PS3/Tivo and Wii but like the Xbox as the best interface.

8. Feb 2, 2011 #8 of 25
    Tennispro3782

Tennispro3782 New Member

Jan 30, 2011
    CT, USA
    Hey everyone. My TiVo premiere is comming in the mail soon. My mom has a Netflix account and whenever I want something I use hers. What I'm wondering is how that account mixes in with it on TiVo. If my que for physical DVDs is full, can I get something on my premiere? On my TiVo can I just pick any old movie and stream it regardless of anything else? Thanks!

9. Feb 2, 2011 #9 of 25
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    Go to netflix on the tivo, you will see a code, enter that into your mom's neflix acct.
    You will then be able to stream movies thru the tivo box.

eta- the streaming will not effect the disk que.

10. aaroncgi

aaroncgi New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    We had Netflix lockup our Premiere a couple times, but only on earlier versions of software. We haven't experience a lockup (Netflix or otherwise) since I think May of 2010, and we watch quite a lot of content from Netflix.

What we do experience is that the interface has wildly varying responsiveness. Often it takes 5 seconds or more just to move to the next page down or up in the queue, or to select an item. Other times it's a half second. Amount of time to actually play the selection also undergoes dramatic changes. Sometimes it starts within a few seconds, other time we are waiting 30+ seconds before anything happens. I presumed this is just due to the peak viewing hours for Netflix and their servers are bogged down with so many requests. The pause/RW/FF functions have never worked well for us with Netflix. Even under the best of times, you can expect a five second delay between your button press and anything happening, but it's often much worse. The FF/RW is completely useless.

11. mcorelis

mcorelis New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    I tried the Netflix on Tivo. Besides the poor interface, the lockups were very annoying. $60 for a Roku XD was my solution. Nice interface and some additional free channels. I am hard wired for both the Tivo and the Roku. Seems to work better for me that way.

12. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Been streaming netflixs on my tivoHD with out any problems. We get one DVD a week and I have a couple of movies and concerts lined up for streaming for nights when there is nothing but reruns on regular TV.

13. Crash_Corrigan

Crash_Corrigan New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    I had some problems with my TiVo Premiere freezing and rebooting during NetFlix streaming when I was using the TiVo wireless N adapter. Not sure what the problem was. It could have been the wireless adapter itself, the wireless hardware built in to my AT&T U-verse modem, or maybe just interference from other neighbors. I didn't have the patience to try to sort out the problem with the wireless and decided to switch back to good ol' ethernet cable. I haven't had a problem with NetFlix since, and I use NetFlix streaming almost daily.

14. poulos_tim

Feb 14, 2003
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks for the information, I think I'll give it a try.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You can try Netflix free for a month. Give it a try. I have zero issues streaming Netflix on any of my Premieres. It is my preferred box for streaming Netflix because the TiVo has Native resolution output. Although I will be glad when 1080P/5.1 Netflix streaming is not exclusive to the PS3 and comes to the TiVo Netflix application. I use the PS3 for those 1080p/5.1 titles but picture quality takes a hit when the PS3 does the scaling instead of my DVDO DUO.

16. Lars_J

Lars_J Member

Feb 1, 2005
    My premiere seems to buffer Netflix okay, faster than my Wii.

But I still don't use it much, since I prefer the Wii Netflix interface. (searching, etc) Sure, it's not HD, but not much of Netflix instant offerings are in HD yet anyway, it seems.

17. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Netflix works great on Tivo. The downside is that you have to use a computer to add things to your queue. The upside is that it is super simple to use - my 5 year old has NO issues watching shows.

18. Jshuntr

Jshuntr New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    FWIW - My Premiere was freezing ever so often while using netflix, the box just appeared to become unresponsive, but I did notice that If I control the unit w/ my IPad, I can exit out of the netflix freeze, and everything works as expected.

Maybe its just dumb strokes of luck in my case, but sure beats pulling the plug!

19. bobnv

bobnv New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    I recently purchased a Tivo premiere, then signed up for Netflix with their 9.98 account that gives me unlimited streaming and one dvd checked out at a time.
    Netflix service is awsome, nuf said. Had issues with streaming into the Tivo, after a month of dog and pony show with Tivo support which included replacing the Tivo wireless client, replacing the Tivo box itself, the final solution was hardwire the Tivo directly to the router, all problems went away. Speaking for my own exprience I had nothing but trouble using the wireless, no matter what I did, can't put any blame on Netflix as during that time I could stream to any of my computers, I have 4, with no problems at all. On hardwire, I have experienced only one problem and that is when you first connect to the service with the Tivo, I get a delay in connecting, and sometimes I have to close the request and reconnect to Netflix, I haven't determined what causes that yet but it is only at connection, once the movie is playing, go get a beer and chips and enjoy, it works like a charm.
    And as mentioned above, you get the first 30 free so its a win/win as they don't bill you till the second month so if your not happy (which would be hard to be) you just cancel.

20. kelleyseiler

kelleyseiler New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I use netflix often with my tivo prem but I really like the xbox 360's interface much better. You don't need to go to your netflix online to queue anything.