Netflix Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Andrea4, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

Feb 26, 2009

Advertisements

I'm thinking about joining NetFlix but I have a few questions. And sorry if these have been asked but I tried searching and there were just too many threads to go through and didn't see any with titles that jumped out at me.

Ok so the main reason I'm thinking about it is because of all the TV shows you can get on DVD or streamed (is that the right word?) to Tivo. I've seen it said that even some current episodes/seasons are available. How does that work? If you know, what shows are available?

I've also seen many threads about NetFlix streaming on Tivo not working. Is this true? Is it just some of the time?

If it wasn't a matter of money, I would already have it. But I feel like I already pay a lot for cable. I could possibly get rid of the movie channels because I rarely watch them anyway. But there are times when I just want to watch a movie but I usually have a hard time even finding something that I want to watch at that time. I have HBO/Cinemax and Showtime and whatever other channels that go with it. And really the only reason I first picked HBO was for shows like Entourage and Big Love. But I'm not even caught up on Entourage and I'm getting the DVD's from the library for free. The library does have quite a few TV shows on DVD but not as many as NetFlix and I usually have to wait a while to even get them. And really the only reason I have Showtime is for Big Brother After Dark. I'll probably cancel after BB is over. Sorry for the rambling and I could have gone into more but I didn't. People probably don't care, but maybe they get it. If you can answer my questions about NetFlix that would be great! And I thought I had more but couldn't think right now. I may add more.

2. jlac839

jlac839 New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I still use a Series 2 tivo with a digital tuner which works fine for me. However, it doesn't support Netflix streaming which I did want to try. Streaming can be accomplished various ways - I decided to try the $100 Roku box (http://www.roku.com/) and I have been very pleased with it. The cost of switching Tivo boxes right now was too much for me.

My Tivo still records any OTA stuff I want. I gave up on cable having subscribed to the Netflix 1 DVD plan with unlimited streaming ($9.82 a month incl taxes).

You need to be sure that your internet service can support the streaming rate (it probably can but check it via a PC before you buy). You also need to be aware of any bandwidth caps your ISP may impose or be thinking about imposing.

Netflix does allow a 14-day trial period and sometimes you can get this extended to a month. The streaming catalog is much smaller than the DVD catalog which isn't surprising but they are adding to it all the time. You could look at http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix for weekly updates of the streaming additions.

The bandwidth availability directly affects the quality of picture you receive. I'm still on DSL (AT&T Elite 6Mbps) and I have no trouble getting HD material via Netflix streaming.

I have no experience of streaming Netflix to a Series 3 or HD - I hope others who do will respond to you.

Anyway, while my situation doesn't exactly correspond to yours, I wanted to point out that I've been very pleased with Netflix streaming. I think it's worth the money. If your infrastructure provides sufficient bandwidth for streaming to the Tivo, it should be fine. Whether the content available is what you are looking for only you can decide but the "on demand" capability is huge IMHO. The Netflix trial will hopefully allow you to find out.

Just my $0.02. Hope it's useful.

Edit: I should point out that I used to run my Tivo with a wireless link but since I updated to a flat panel that had a network interface, I went to the trouble of running CAT5 to the living room. Now the Tivo, Roku and TV are on a wired network. BTW the Roku box comes with wireless or wired interfaces built in.

3. SheliaP

SheliaP New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    I an fairly new to Netflix streaming and have been happy so far with content as well as quality. I had never seen The Tudors, b/c we don't have any premium channels- and loved it. Also have picked the whole of the Pink Panther classics, and more. Even a few newer ones are available, but not many. There are some PBS specials, as well as other series- so far it works great and we are enjoying it. and it doesn't cost anymore than the original Netfliz sunscription. How can you beat that.

4. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I do have a Tivo HD so NetFlix streaming is available. I guess that is a good point to do the free trial and see how I like it. But still everyone, feel free to share your experience with NetFlix.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

I use Netflix streaming on 2 TiVo HD DVRs in the house. It has performed very well but then I am not looking for HD and 5.1 surround sound nor close captioning. I record SD analog even so he near DVD quality I continually get from Netflix streaming suits me just fine and works without hiccups. In fact my OTA has more issues when the digital stream gets broken up by signal issues.

The selection has grown steadily and has some good things in it now. Not recently released stuff but give them time

6. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Overall, I'm very happy with it and dropped from extended basic to simply basic (i.e. "the locals"). I have a Series 3 and also a $100 Roku box.

My biggest gripe is that the Series 3 can completely lock up after watching a show to the point that I have to pull the power plug. This *never* happens on the Roku box and I stream a lot more through it than the TiVo. Most of the time it's good but intermittently I won't be able to contact Netflix and I've had the 3 or 4 solid lockups.

To get an idea as to what Netflix has recently released, see http://www.hackingnetflix.com/new_releases/

Don't expect to see current shows available for streaming. Same for movies. Their DVD collection is good and current, but the streaming selection is still limited. But then, if you compare it to cable TV, you'll see that you have a LOT more choices, all of them available, and there are many that are more recent than anything you've seen on cable.

7. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    We stream Netflix to a Series 3 and it has been a 99% good experience. When we started doing it we only had a 1 mbs DSL connection, now it is 3mb DSL and I think that is a good starting point for decent, close to DVD quality. You will not get HD at this bandwidth, but the pic quality is good. It is also a good idea to use a wired connections with your TiVo, and assuming you use a router, use one with a 'quality of service' protocal for streaming consistency. I can surf the net and stream NetFlix and the same time, even download files (though a little slower), and have a good viewing experience.

Between TiVo and Netflix streaming (And those Blu-ray discs that keep showing up to my house), we have no need for cable and are strictly OTA. Unless you are a sports junkie or just can't wait for that HBO show to be available on another venue, there is not a lot of reason to stay with cable. And with all the money you will save, you can invest in more/ better home theatre equipment.

8. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I stream Netflix to my PS3 using PlayOn media server and directly to my XBox 360. With the increase in Blu-ray charges, we cut down from the 3-at-a-time plan to 2.

9. mburnno

mburnno Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I can say his much for my series 3 HD with netflix. I have the ability to use it with a 8MB pipe down and the sound and picture sucks to say the least. All I get is jitter from the picture and sound so I quit using it. I also have an Xbox 360 and it is GREAT! I can't believe the HD picture I get with it over the Tivo HD box. This kind of makes me wonder if I am missing something here or why the Tivo sucks so much. I am thinking of buying a Roku player and putting it on top of the tivo just to watch Netflix in the bedroom.

10. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    For most people, Netflix on TiVo works well enough, though if you use a wireless adapter, you may need to switch to wired if you have wireless speed or connection issues.

I've found the video quality to be good, especially if you can get an HD stream. Not as good as Amazon HD downloads, but still good.

There is a chance that Netflix can cause the box to completely lock up if there is any type of communication problem with the Netflix servers, whether it be caused by Netflix, your Internet connection, TiVo or whatever. That reason alone is why I'm wary of using Netflix any time my box is recording or scheduled to record shortly.

11. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I just have a regular TV so picture quality isn't a big deal to me. If it's close to DVD quality that's fine. I think I have 3mbs internet through cable. I do have a wireless adapter. I don't really want to have to go to wired connection. How would I even do that? The TV/Tivo are connected through cable on one side of the room and the Router/Modem is on the other side? And even if the streaming ends up not working very well, I still might try out NetFlix just for the DVD's.

And I just have a question for people who don't have cable and are strictly OTA. Maybe I'm weird but how do you do that? Aren't there still things on cable that you like to watch? I know I do watch the basic channels more then anything else but still. Do you really wait for them to be released on DVD? What if they don't come out on DVD?

12. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Some of us actually grew up without TV at all. Mankind has existed for thousands of years without TV.

I have basic cable (I'd go OTA but basic cable is actually cheaper because of the Internet bundling). If I want to watch something not on basic cable, I use Netflix and stream to either my Roku or my TiVo.

There is a LARGE difference between what I WANT to watch and what I NEED to watch. Expanded cable is an uplift of nearly $600 per year. Sure there's stuff that I "miss". Some sporting events I get to read about online instead of watching the game. I used to watch The Daily Show on Comedy Central but I can't get it any more. There's still lots of other stuff left - more stuff than I can watch and not get obese.

TV is not mandatory. Get some fresh air, exercise, and you'll feel better quickly. It works for me.

13. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California
    I Don't stream Netflix through Tivo but do via the ROKU box and love it. I have had no issues at all. It would probably be a good idea to try the free trial and see it your happy with the streaming through your Tivo.

14. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I stream Netflix on my Tivo HD and have never had a problem. I will mention I have a wired connection to my Tivo though, not wireless. I just wish they had a bigger selection on movies/tv shows you could stream.

15. spocko

spocko Member

Feb 4, 2009
    My Tivo is connected via wireless to Comcast cable internet service. I or my family have watched about 100 programs from Netflix streamed through my Tivo without any significant problems. I'm very happy with the service. With that said, some people do report problems, so I guess YMMV. The original Series 3 may be more problematic than the Tivo HD.

The link below has a poll that was posted back in January, which wasn't too long after Netflix streaming became available on Tivo. It looks like 75% of the responders were satisfied with the service at that time. Improvements may have been made to the software and/or service since then.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416750

16. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I just got a BluRay player with Netflix streaming this week. As far as picture quality goes, I'm very happy. The picture is very good, even with my 3mbps DSL connection and 802.11g to the player. The only time I notice that I'm watching streaming video is in dark scenes where you can see some blocking in the picture.

I just wish the streaming selection was a little better, but I suppose that will improve over time.

As for the cable channels, I haven't had any premium channels on cable for several years, and I don't miss it. I do just catch stuff later on DVD. If it doesn't make DVD, it probably wasn't any good anyway. ;)

17. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    You know, if you get rid of cable or downgrade to basic, you will likely save anywhere from $500 to $1000 a year. This easily covers a NetFlix sub. And with the extra money, how many DVDs and Amazon movie downloads could you purchase? What about a nice new flat panel?

All you need to do is wait a little longer for the show to be on Netflix/ Amazon/ DVD or another venue. And the wait time is always getting a little shorter.

18. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I stream Netflix to my HDTiVo all the time. I love it! The only problem I have is if I'm watching several programs in a row, I start having drop-out issues where all of a sudden, the TiVo loses signal and goes back to the now playing menu. I don't know if that's a Netflix issue, a TiVo issue, or a problem with my internet connection. Or it could be Comcast throttling my downloads.

When it happens, I just go back into the Netflix menu and start the program back up from where it left off.

19. qunewsguy

qunewsguy Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I've got wireless 1.5mbps. SD streaming picture quality is more than acceptable for me. The only issues I ever have are if I accidentally forget and start downloading huge files to my computer at the same time I'm streaming. I just went from a 2 at a time to a 1 at a time plan since there's so much I watch now between my Tivo recordings, Netflix, and video podcasts.

20. kemajor

kemajor Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Wichita, KS
    I have exactly the same behavior here.

- K