Netflix price hike 2020

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by trip1eX, Oct 30, 2020.

1. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005

Advertisements

$13 plan becomes $14.

$16 plan becomes $18.

($9 plan is still $9.)

immediate for new members.
    Rolling out over the next few months for current members.

Noelmel likes this.
  2. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    OK... My assumption is that for T-Mobile customers who are getting subsidized for their Netflix subscriptions (like myself), our charge will go from $2 to $3 per month... Assuming you subscribe to the two-screen subscription (currently priced at $13.00).

3. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Gotta love, hike the price and cancel a bunch of good shows and sign a bunch of overpaid no media people for no apparent reason but name recognition.

If Tmo didn't subsidize it, I probably wouldn't pay for it.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

4. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I am a little surprised that they put a 8.3% increase on the standard subscription, but a 12.5% increase on the four-screen subscription…

I would have thought they would do the opposite… Make the standard one a little more expensive, and give the premium a smaller bump to try and entice people to upgrade by thinning out the premium paid to go from 2 screens to 4 screens… Instead, this just entices standard subscribers to stay with the standard subscription...

stevewjackson and Noelmel like this.
  5. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013

Advertisements

They must figure premium subscribers are only premium subscribers because they have money to burn. Not being sensitive to prices they won't notice the larger increase. It's not just 2 screens to 4 screens, it's also HD to 4K. Maybe they're expanding their 4k library and/or costs to produce in a 4k format have gone up faster than HD format costs.

I've never subscribed but have been waiting years for a good time to binge on the now defunct 30 day free trial - I waited too long and as prices continue rising it's even less likely I'll ever subscribe.

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    From personal watching habits during the pandemic period, basically since Feb/March, Netflix embarrasses every other streaming service 25 times over with far more original content that is pretty decent. Worth every dollar, and more. Most other services might have 2 or 3 new series each year worth paying to watch. Some are simply embarrassing examples of bad contracts, like where CBS All Access has 3 seasons of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, but Hulu has them all. It having been a CBS show. Maybe it's better described as: It's amazing how far a Netflix dollar goes vs. any other streaming service's dollar.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I have Netflix, HBO Max, Prime, and Disney+. And I probably watch about as much Netflix as the rest combined.

Noelmel and Family like this.
  8. seaninde

seaninde Active Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Hardly a big price increase and for the amount of money they spend on new programming, no one should be upset about it.
    They have a lot of great shows and multiple family members can use same plan, even not in same physical household.
    Still the best deal around.

Noelmel likes this.
  9. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    The problem is,they're like Costco. You find something you really like, and it's not renewed for the next season. It's frustrating getting into a show, have the good cliff hanger for season two, then three months later find out there'no next season. Then hear they dropped coin of some collaboration with a big name who means nothing to me and many. Then they announce a price increase. On top of the fact that good movies and syndicated shows are becoming few and far between which was part of the reason for subscribing in the first place. So with other services picking up that content, you now really have to pick and choose what's worth subscribing to. Like all never pay for CBS all access. I'll do a trial when they offer it, binge and cancel.

Besides, all their "new and original" content really isn't. Quite a few are just foreign shows from English speaking countries.

Noelmel likes this.
  10. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Netflix has moved on from 'deplorables' to a 'woke' audience. Their new demographic is price insensitive. You are not ("If Tmo didn't subsidize it, I probably wouldn't pay for it.") Expect content to be much more political and controversial as they trim the library based on revenue per viewing.

This is the second time Netflix has shifted their focus. A long time ago, Netflix was a DVD mailer. They went after the Blockbuster customer. Then they added streaming and grew their base. Then they charged extra for DVDs and trimmed their base of the Blockbuster refugees.

“It’s not personal, it’s just business.” Michael Corleone

Noelmel and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  11. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    And if revenue drops, they'll reinvent themselves again. And I'd probably end up keeping I because we all share in the family. I share my Netflix with my mom and my sis. My Prime with my mom. And I use their fios and cable credentials. Verizon pays for Disney this year, and I'll cancel and re-up when the year is up if they're still running it.

12. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    A lot of their content is from non-English-speaking countries and they add a lot of subtitling and/or dubbing for English and many other audiences. They still have more new content be it from those sources or from direct production contracts they initiated and control than anybody else, by far. As to back catalog stuff, I'm not sure it's entirely Netflix's desire to have reduced or eliminated much of it; I think it's more the upstart network-owned stream services that have been trying to use it to build up their own content to obtain subscribers who are seeking the older stuff out.

As to series ending abruptly or before you'd prefer, well, that's everywhere. I've considered Netflix a lot less likely to cancel something they're producing after a single season, though, almost irrespective of viewership initially.

Pandemic-wise, there's barely any reason to be keeping traditional cable video options right now; almost everything new/scripted is on a streaming service. Though even before, on a per-dollar basis it even pales compared to Netflix.

An interesting thing though is just how much content there is, even just among the shows I've obtained and watched over the last 10 or 15 years, that still is not available on any streaming services.

chiguy50 likes this.
  13. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    Im stream cutting & going to cable. :D

ufo4sale likes this.
  14. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I'll echo comments from Rob and dswallow. The majority of content we watch is on Netflix. I don't see how one can watch much TV these past few months without Netflix.

They have been canceling a lot of shows after three seasons, but it doesn't seem much of a problem after one. Away was canceled after one season recently which was surprising, but let's face it, it wasn't must see TV.

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    These days with an almost complete lack of new original programming on broadcast and cable channels, Netflix, Prime and a slew of others are worth more than any of the live streaming or cable/sat stuff IMO.

16. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Noelmel, cwerdna and wizwor like this.
  17. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    I did not know that. Can you navigate to that area from Netflix.com or is it a separate entity? That is how I started out, anyway. Then they went OTT and I was happy because I got it for 'free' (except that I needed to buy a streamer for each television). Then their DVD library contracted, but I was OK because there was a lot to stream. Then they raised prices. Then I left.

Noelmel likes this.
  18. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Sounds exactly like broadcast and cable networks.

19. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    They tried to separate the two in 2011. There is still an upper menu item for DVD which takes you to subscribing.
    upload_2020-10-31_16-1-51.png

From Wired 9/20

wizwor likes this.
  20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I think I'm about ready to let Netflix go. I have cable tv with premium channels. It's been a while since I've even watched anything on Netflix, anyway, and can barely keep up with my recorded shows.

I do kind of hate how a lot of things seem to be getting away from cable tv to the extent that you need to subscribe to several streaming services. I can see that if somebody doesn't want to do cable/satellite but, for those who want the cable channels and pay a good bit to have them, it just sucks that so many shows are going to streaming only.

/rant

randyb359 and wizwor like this.