Netflix just permanently bricked my TiVo HD and I am MAD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rodneyremington, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rodneyremington

rodneyremington New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Clovis, CA

Advertisements

I"ve been a TiVo user and forum member a long time. I know how a failing hard drive behaves and my 13 month old TiVo HD was perfect. UNTIL I watched a show using Netflix video on demand when it promptly froze and will no longer reboot. Dead as a doornail. Tried everything including going through a CSR and it is bricked. One month out of warranty I'm out $400. Furious would be an understatement. I have no doubt that there is a fatal error in the Netflix VOD system that did this. Not only is Netflix buggy as hell but TiVo has released an actually malicious feature that has the capacity to brick your unit. BEWARE.

OK An update.
    TiVo CSR stepped up to the plate and RMAed my unit for $49 despite being like 2 weeks out of the 1 year warranty. I've always had good experience with tivo phone support, even more so since they got rid of that horrible voice activated system.

Now ironically after troubleshooting for several hours I managed to kickstart the unit back to life. It will not however boot up with the WD External storage HD which makes me think that HD was corrupted and this took down the TiVo. I am still absolutely convinced that a fatal error in the Netflix VOD software caused this. There is just no other plausable explanation.

So now I have a replacement unit on it's way and my old unit seems to be working, albeit without the external storage. Lifetime service is also scheduled to be transferred to this new unit. What do I do now????

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I'd check the undergronud and ask around there for the proper code to kickstart the box.

also- I think there's an issue id that happens and you are using wireless- I'm not sure of what the steps are to fix it but if you are using wireless then look around- maybe you can find an answer.

goodluck

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I'm fairly certain there's a fix to this, but I don't recall what it is.

There's also known issue reported here -- if your Internet goes down while you are playing Netflix, your TiVo won't boot until your Internet is back up.

4. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Fortunately, if it is the hard drive, at least you can replace it and costs way less than $400. But hopefully the kickstart code will do the trick.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas

Advertisements

1) Try and restart when your network is up
    2) try to kickstart it
    3) try to reload the software (instantcake)

6. tburrel

tburrel New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Lots of folks (myself included) are watching netflix without killing the Tivo - My S3 made it all through seasons 1 and 2 of Heroes without dying once- so don't be so quick to write it off yet.

Check the network (go wired if you can at least for the initial fix) and try the kickstart codes (a search of the forum should bring them up).

I agree that this rollout has been sub-par, but I personally have "some doubt" that there is a fatal error in the Netflix VOD. More like a "coma" error.

Not good I'll grant you- and Tivo customer support has let me down before- so hang in there and try the things people here have suggested. There may be hope for your box yet!

7. rodneyremington

rodneyremington New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Clovis, CA
    See the update in the original post.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    get service on the original or sell it for 150$ or whatever you can get for it.

9. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    It's an RMA, he has to send it back.

10. DougJohnson

DougJohnson Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Random hard drive failure? If the drive is dead, I have trouble thinking of a plausible mechanism for software above the device driver level causing it. Even that would smell like a bad hardware design.

If the drive is alive, but corrupted, I could believe it might lie at NetFlix's door.

If you've got recordings, lots of session passes, and cable cards, you might want to keep your current unit and return the replacement. Otherwise, I'd keep the new unit. -- Doug