Netflix is testing a linear channel

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by trip1eX, Nov 7, 2020.

1. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
  2. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    A day late and a dollar short. YouTube showed the way. Pay attention to what I'm watching and queue up similar content until I 'change the channel'.

3. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Video Pandora.. Good way not to be exposed to something new.. That's a curse, not a feature :eek::eek:

ufo4sale likes this.
  4. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    lol. Don’t know what that even means.

Not sure why it would be a day late and dollar short just because YouTube queues up 50 Eddie Van Halen videos after you watch one. :)

Plus Netflix already recommends new content to watch based on what you watched similarly to what YouTube does.

And actually iirc Netflix automatically plays a new tv show after you finish the most current season of another.

This is just testing a channel feature that mimics cable tv channels aka the channel surfing experience.

Never mind YouTube and Netflix aren’t exactly direct competitors. I know for me they serve different needs.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

Advertisements

A linear channel makes no sense today without trick-play and DVR functionality.

6. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    heh? It is Netflix. There are no commercials. And you watch on demand. The linear thing is for those people who just want to turn the thing on and see content playing. Given it will be the same content, one can always watch it on demand and start wherever they want in the program or series.