1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix - Insatiable season 1 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I’m only on the second episode so far. It’s campy and over the top but fun to watch. I love all the “b” nicknames given to Bob Barnard. It cracks me up that they find a reason or twelve for Bob to take his shirt off and show his abs. It’s the same actor who played Auggie in Covert Affairs. Never had he gone so shirtless on tv before.

2. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Don't mean to thread crap, but I lasted 20min into the 1st episode. And that fat suit was sooo bad it was the funniest thing I saw in those 20min. One and done...

3. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Overall, I enjoyed it.

I found the throuple story line a trifle off-putting, but when everything is so over the top and out there, that isn't too bizarre within the show's context.

Hearing Bob call him Bob "Backdoor" Barnard made me crack up.

Patty's emotional flip flops, swinging from forgiveness to revenge and then back so many times, whipsawed me into some confusion. Her final solution for Christian may have been cathartic for all her inner rage, but oh man did she cross the line. Hell, I think the line is in the rearview mirror, shrinking into the distance.

Oh, I had no idea that Debby Ryan was so well endowed.

4. KRS

KRS Mmm...invisible cola

Jan 30, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    This show is really weird. My wife and I have watched 3 of them now, and I still can't tell if I want to keep watching. It is not unpleasant to watch, but I don't particularly like any of the main characters or understand their motivations.

Perhaps having sat through too many episodes of Jessie with my kids is resulting in the off-putting feeling I get while watching Insatiable. :)

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Overall - I liked it too. I prefer this kind of humor to say the comedy on Kimmy Schmidt.

The whole thing is crazy over the top ridiculous.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This show got the worst reviews I've seen, mostly because people were offended by the fat shaming. I haven't seen it but my daughter loves Debby Ryan from Jessie (and I tease her that she's the Red Headed Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana), so I was a bit intrigued. Is it NOT as bad as they say? I generally don't care about reviews, but I do read them sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  7. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    It apparently has also gotten a lot of hate from the LGBT PC police.
    I'm gay and I thought the whole situation was funny. People seem to wanna get offended about something these days.

By no means is it brilliant television but haters gonna hate.

8. Sep 5, 2018 #8 of 13
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    How old is your daughter? This is definitely not a kid's show. I would suggest older teenager (15+) or higher. This show has a lot of sexual themes. (Think Selena Gomez acting in that movies Spring Breakers.)

I just finished the season and it is not that great. I will post some more thoughts later.

9. Sep 5, 2018 #9 of 13
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    She's 19. She'll be fine, but thanks for the warning. She used to watch Jessie as a tween. I see her occasionally watching now. She's well aware of the content of this show.

10. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Oh yea, 19 is more than fine.

As far as the show, as I was watching my thoughts were "WTF am I watching!" and "Am I supposed to like any of these characters?"

It was just so over the top. I guess it was supposed to be a dark comedy, but it never came together. There were times that I supposed to feel sorry for Patty, but I couldn't.

It also felt that they were trying to check all the cliche's
    Bullied Teenager who's is out for revenge - Check
    Lifelong friend who is secretly in love with best friend (who doesn't realize it) - check
    Mean girls at high school - Check
    Spoilers for later episodes, if you don't haven't watched them:
    Rival is secretly gay and in love with main character - check
    main character realizes he is gay after having no inclination for his whole life - check
    Girl falls in love with rebel boy and loses virginity only to have him be a stalker - check (double check that rebel boy is Pastor's son)

For those of you who start watching, just be aware if gets crazier over the season.

11. KRS

KRS Mmm...invisible cola

Jan 30, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Ratings must be good - the show is renewed for season 2.

Good thing NF removed all the user reviews. :)

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I wonder if the user reviews would have been as bad as the critics reviews? I've read a few more recent reviews where they actually kind of liked it. I do wonder if a lot of the more well known reviewers were just trying to be politically correct. I haven't seen the show yet, as I have a backlog of other stuff plus shows like Atypical that came back and I wanted to watch immediately.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I liked it. It was quirky and a bit all over the board, but still enjoyable.