Netflix - how do you choose what to watch?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by opus472, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Feb 3, 2017 #1 of 11
    opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007

Advertisements

Particularly with the movement to original programming, it's become more difficult to determine which shows might be worthwhile time investments. We get a long list of titles which will appear during the following month, most of which we've never heard of. And many of the originals have few if any reviews available. So how do you evaluate the offerings and decide which ones to try? (This also applies to Amazon Prime, though the numbers are generally smaller)

2. Feb 3, 2017 #2 of 11
    sbillard

sbillard Member

Sep 16, 2014
    How did (do) you decide which broadcast series to watch? I bet the analogous technique will work for streaming shows.

Personally, I look at the descriptions and put the shows that seem likely into my wish list. (I would make a 1P for them, but we all know that is a non-starter.) When I have the time I watch the first of the series and either make it all the way through or drop it. I do the equivalent for broadcast, but in that case the recording is on my TiVo. (That is if the shows data didn't get mucked up by the unique RoVi data mangling process.)

3. Feb 3, 2017 #3 of 11
    opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    If by "broadcast series" you mean the traditional networks, that's generally pretty easy - almost none of them are worth watching. Where do you find a list of (for instance) all the upcoming titles for Feb, along with descriptions of each?

4. Feb 3, 2017 #4 of 11
    sbillard

sbillard Member

Sep 16, 2014
    By your above criteria I suggest you simply stop watching anything. The shows on Netflix and Amazon are in general no better nor worse than ones you find on traditional networks. Some are even new series' of network shows that have been dropped by their originators.

But if you are done being disingenuous, you can find information in the same kinds of places I find info about traditional networks. The newspaper (gasp) entertainment columns, Advertisements, and the Netflix and Amazon web sites.

5. Feb 3, 2017 #5 of 11
    cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota

Advertisements

Are you rating titles you watch, including titles you've viewed prior to subscribing to Netflix?

I ask because Netflix is really good at predicting what the viewer will enjoy if you take the time to let them know what you like & dislike. Back in the earlier days there would be a "taste preference" type page on the Netflix website where you could rapidly rate many titles as well as select your favorite genres which ultimately would influence what titles you saw on your streaming devices. I don't think those pages exist anymore, now it's just up to rating titles on the site or your device. If you were to launch my Netflix profile vs my wife's profile you would see many different titles shown as recommendations because they know I like sci-fi, horror and martial arts where as my wife enjoys entirely different genres. It's not as simple as genre, they only (usually) show titles within our preferred genres that they think we would rate between 3 and 5 stars.

Maybe look for sites like these:
    What’s new on Netflix and what’s leaving in February 2017
    Netflix - instantwatcher - The Ultimate Guide for Streaming

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  6. Feb 3, 2017 #6 of 11
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Go in and get your hands dirty, try some things. Ratings are opinions not facts. Don't let the internet think for you. BE Bold !
    Try it, you'll like it. :grinning:

7. Feb 4, 2017 #7 of 11
    humbb

humbb Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
  8. Feb 4, 2017 #8 of 11
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I spend waaaaaaay to much time scrolling through their stupid tiled interface looking for things that might be interesting, then I watch an episode and if I decide it sucks I get stuck seeing it's icon forever in my "continue watching" section. :(

9. Feb 4, 2017 #9 of 11
    jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    The personalized star ratings work great, there is probably a 90% chance I will like a show with a rating of 4.7 or above. I star rate each show I watch and use a pc to log into Netflix. Many times with show lists, on the right hand side there is a sorting option. Using the rating sort it is easy to add good shows to My List.

cybergrimes likes this.
  10. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    This is a good example - there are multiple sites like this, with lists of upcoming titles and no other info. Sure would be helpful to find a site that included at least brief descriptions along with the titles, and maybe even a synopsis of reviews (something like Metacritic)

11. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Mikeguy and dlfl like this.