Netflix HD....

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Nov 19, 2008.

1. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

Since I have an Xbox 360 and a Netflix account and since today is the day Xbox 360 owners get the new dashboard update... along with NETFLIX and NETFLIX HD I thought I would pass this info along.

There are currently only about 100 movies/TV shows available in HD on Netflix streaming. I like about 35 of them myself.

HEROES is in HD NETFLIX streaming! Nice.. as well as a few other TV shows as well.

I have 20mbps speed for down on my cable modem. The HD quality is NOT as good as my OTA of the same shows. It is also NOT as good as Blu-ray. Then again, at this point in time, NOTHING will be as good as Blu-ray.

Even so the quality is quite nice. Much better than the SD counterpart. Even the SD shows/movies are really not that bad of quality. Quite decent. Still no DD5.1:(:confused:

I am going to assume and HOPE that the experiance with the Xbox 360 as well as my Samsung BD-P2550 with NETFLIX and NETFLIX HD will be similar to the experiance we will have with Netflix on the TiVO.

The experiance with Netflix on the Samsung and XBox 360 are VERY similar! I can't tell much quality differnce between watching Netflix on my Blu-ray player and on the Xbox 360.

Eventually we will have more HD offerings I am sure. However this is NOT a bad start in my opinion and is better than nothing!

TGC

P.S. I took my Samsung BD-P2550 over to my mom's house to try the Netflix HD. She only has a inexpensive 5mpbs cable modem service. The HD quality was no where as nice as mine. It appears as the internet bandwidth speed between 5mbps and 20mbps DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

2. Mamoth

Mamoth New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Good info. Thanks!

I haven't had a chance to upgrade my xbox yet, but will do so once I get home. Since I'm not feeling well, streaming some movies will hit the spot. Can't wait!

3. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    When I log into my netflix account I don't see anything about HD. Is that a different login?

Al

4. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I think you have to have a "Tivo Ready Device" activated that supports HD to see "HD" under the Watch Now genres. Right now, thats only the Xbox 360.

5. marcello696

marcello696 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Temecula, CA

Advertisements

the Xbox 360 doesn't show what's in HD either. So far I've found 30 Rock, Heroes and The Thing in HD.

Someone should make a complete list ;)

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
  7. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
  8. edjrwinnt

edjrwinnt New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Can someone tell me real quick whether or not you can watch Netflix OnDemand at 720P HD over component video with the XBox or TiVo?

I read somewhere one way or the other but I can't remember exactly what was said.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Netflix on the XBox works just fine over component.

10. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    You have to have a HD capable Netflix streaming device such as the XBox360 or one of the NETFLIX enabled Blu-ray players.

TiVo will offer Netflix HD once it becomes available to TiVo

Once you have it activated... Their will be a grouping called "HD" under the "Watch Instantly" tab.

TGC

11. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Yes you will get 720p just fine with NETFLIX over component. Right now the biggest challenge to how good your HD NETFLIX will be is based solely on how fast your internet connection is.

I have 20mbps... it's good... my mom has 5mbps... it ISN"T as good and you CAN tell the difference.

TGC

12. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Not for now. For some reason it has something to do with the Specs for MPG2 & MPG4 I think.

WHY do I say this?

Because I have tried about 12 different Video editing programs from $49 to $999 and NONE of them (That I tried) allow you to create either of the following:

MPG2 - 1920x1080 video with DD5.1
    MPG4 - 1920x1080 video with DD5.1

Those 12 programs will allow you to create SD video with DD5.1 or HD video with Stereo. BUT NOT HD Video with DD5.1. Why that is I don't know.

Some of those 12 programs I tried were in fact PROFFESIONAL versions as well, not intended for normal "Home" use.

So if I am having issues creating HD DD5.1 MPG2/MPG4 files just for myself, imagine the trouble Amazon, Netflix and others are having as well.

I know its NOT impossible, just apparently OTHER issues are the reason. :( :confused:

TGC

13. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    What about the standard definition from Netflix? Will that have 5.1 sound?

Al

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No. If you look at the link given above:
    http://blog.netflix.com/2008/11/encoding-for-streaming.html
    you will see a section on audio:
    NOTE: Currently for mpeg4 containers Tivo is able to play back H.264 video with multi-channel AC3 audio, but I don't think it's possible to include AC3 in Microsoft's asf container which is the problem Netflix is facing. It would have been much better if Netflix had chosen mpeg4 container which would have then made it possible, but then probably wrapping that into DRM would have been an issue which is probably why they went the Microsoft route.

15. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Yeah I saw where NETFLIX claims that NO Surround receivers have WMA-PRO...

That is in fact FALSE!!!

Now I will agree no LOW END Surround receivers have that capability... but your BETTER Surround receivers do.

Such as Pioneer. I had a pioneer VSX 72, VSX 82/84 and now I am on my third Pioneer Receiver the VSX 94... ALL OF THEM (That I listed) have WMA-PRO capability. The VSX72 is actually 4 model years OLD!

However... since the majority of affordable receivers on the market don't have that capability yet I do understand WHY Netflix hasn't made use of it yet.

Looks like it goes back to the ole problem of DRM.... of which I wish the industry would just do away with. Causing us more problems than I think it's worth. But thats a whole other topic of discussion.

Since I have a Tivo, Xbox, and a Blu-ray player. I will use my TiVo for anything found and recordable on OTA/Cable. I will use my Blu-ray player to watch Blu-ray movies for all the new release movies that come out on Blu-ray and that I like and want to see in the best possible picture/sound.

I will reserve Netflix Streaming/Hulu and other internet downloads for when I miss a TV show and want to watch it, or watch other movies/TV shows that might not even be available in Blu-ray format.

Such as I am a big Star Trek fan & James Bond Fan. Therefore I will wait for Star Trek/James Bond to bee released on BLU-RAY instead of the inferior quality of internet downloads.

However... if I miss an episode of "Numbers" or "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" or even "Twilight Zone". I'ts nice to know I can go watch those on Netflix &/or Hulu.

TGC

16. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    My only gripe is that Sony is withholding all of its Columbia Pictures movies from Xbox. It is so childish.

The good thing is that when this comes to Tivo all of that will be available since there is no direct Tivo/Sony rivalry. As a matter of fact, I'd be more prone to watch movies on my Tivo than on my 360, although is 360 experience IS very nice.

17. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    There is more to it than just that. There is the Roku box, Samsung Blu-ray,
    LG Blu-ray as well. Sony/Columbia pictures/TV shows AREN'T available on those stand alone boxes as well. Since they aren't available there, more than likely they WON'T be available on the TIVO as well.

However... in all honesy... that is JUST an EDUCATED guess.

Since the interface of Netflix is almost identical on the Blu-ray players as it is on the XBox, I will make the educated guess that the interface on the TiVo will be very identical as well. It will test your internet connection speed and adjust the streaming bit rate just as it does on the XBox and Blu-Ray players.

You can stop, pause, fast forward & rewind. It will also remember where you paused to allow you to resume from where you left off.

TGC

18. edjrwinnt

edjrwinnt New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Yeah, I must say I'm really digging this Netflix HD stuff on my XBox. I have Roadrunner Turbo and it looks great. Maybe just a shade below in quality compared to OTA HD, but not any difference that the average person can tell. I paid $7 for a one month XBox Gold Membership to get this and I'm hoping I only have to pay for one month until it's available on TiVo.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Nitpick, stereo audio is "multichannel". It's not mono.

20. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    :rolleyes: