Netflix HD audio issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by eddielives, Jun 12, 2009.

1. eddielives

eddielives New Member

Nov 29, 2007

Advertisements

Just signed up for Netflix and added a bunch of programs to watch through my Tivo HD. First I tried some SD and everything was ok. I then tried some HD shows and got picture, but no audio. I'm hardwired to the router, and have very good signal strength. I'm connected via HDMI to the TV, and optical to an RX-V1400 (Yamaha). I have never had audio issues before, and it seems odd that only the Netflix HD shows would be effected. Anyone have similar issues, or advice? Thanx in advance.

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I have a similar setup using HDMI for video to an HDTV and optical out to a Yamaha HTR-5950, with the Tivo hardwired to my network. I found that when media from Netflix is missing sound for more than just a few seconds, I can usually get sound by hitting the Tivo button to get back to Tivo Central, then navigating back to what I wanted to watch. If the option is there, I'll select "replay from the beginning". Most of the time, that option is not there, I believe because I know if there will or will not be sound within the first 30 seconds.

Note that this method does not always work. I have "Joe Rogan: Live" in my instant queue that I've never had success getting audio. I haven't called it in yet like I've been meaning to. I've also found that I lose sound if I switch TV inputs. I have a PC hooked up to an RGB input on my TV, and I'll switch inputs from time to time. When I return to HDMI-1 where my Tivo is connected, the sound will be missing until I manipulate the Tivo output in some manner. Most of the time I'll use the 6 second replay or 30 second skip, depending upon where I left off.

HTH!

3. eddielives

eddielives New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Looks like I jumped the gun. I was trying the same HD program (Joe Rogan Live). I just tried Man on Wire and everything looks (or should I say sounds) to be ok:up:. Still no audio for Joe Rogan though, so its not just you having that issue.

Thanks for the help.

4. MDGSR59

MDGSR59 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Have poor quality sound with netflix streaming video. As the dialogue is being spoken the words have a popping sound to them. Also there is a reverberation that can be heard. I am hardwired to my cable modem and use an HDMI cable to go to a Sharp Aquos tv. Only the streaming video has this audio problem. I contacted netflix they said it was probably a tivo problem. I contacted tivo they said it was a netflix problem. I replaced the HDMI cable but still have the audio problem. There is no problem with the video aspect of this feature.

Seems like it needs some type of filter. Anyone with any ideas.

5. BrandonSi

BrandonSi New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Chicago, IL...

Advertisements

I know this is a bit old, but wanted to add my experience with this issue. While streaming from Netflix (HD TiVo) anytime we get a movie with full bar quality (HD) we get no audio. I'm using component from the TV, to receiver and TiVo. We've found no resolution to this other that to manually degrade my bandwidth, forcing netflix to stream a less high quality movie. I do this by downloading files in the background on a PC, while initializing the netflix movie transfer. When the quality from netflix drops to below HD quality, the sound comes back.

I'd be interested to see if this "solves" your issues as well, and then we can be pretty sure the culprit has something to do with Netflix, and perhaps their HD audio encoding.

6. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I have my Tivo S3 connected to new Onkyo 876 AVR via HDMI, only. On streaming "play it now" stuff I often get only 2-ch stereo signal output. This is also true for live and recorded content (from TWC), as well. Shows that I KNOW are being broadcast in DD 5.1 (e.g., as received on CableCo's DVR) but are coming throug the TiVo w/ only 2-ch. Some even are recognized as DD but there are only L/C/R channels of sound w/ nothing from back channels (where there WAS back channel content w/ CableCo DVR in the past!!).

This is also not a "fixed" problem, even in the same broadcast. I was watching something last night w/ DD 5.1, then FF'd and it was in stereo, then FF again and it was back in DD 5.1.

Very annoying. I would guess an HDMI issue from the TiVo? When it occurs, the AVR does NOT show any surround content being received.

7. jbrady3324

jbrady3324 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Netflix does not do 5.1. sound just yet.

8. eddielives

eddielives New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Just tied a different "HD" stream from Netflix (can't remember the title), and got no audio. Can't wait till Tivo supports Blockbuster (TWICE magazine says it's comming son). Maybe they'll get it right.