Netflix freezing under many conditions on Tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jepicone, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jepicone

jepicone New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Loa Angeles

Advertisements

I have had the Tivo Wireless N adapter since Dec. 20, 2010. - attached to a Tivo HD. I join Netflix at that time. No problem with Netflix and Tivo HD shaking hands. However, my Tivo HD freezes when streaming Netflix under the following conditions:
    1. If I use the pause button, especially if the pause is long enough for the Tivo screen to go back to the Now Playing screen.
    2. If the phone rings and someone leaves a messages, even though we don't pick up the call and don't put Tivo on pause. (We have a DSL line with the proper filters on the phone cables).

This has happened at least 8 times in the last three week!!!

The wi-fi router is in the same room, no more 30 feet from the Tivo N adapter.

A short re-boot (unplugging and re-plugging after a minute) does NO good.
    A long re-boot (unplugging) and re-plugging after 5 minutes) does NO good.

Any suggestions, other than quitting Netflix?

Thanks, all

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Take a look at the Netflix Issues thread.

Apparently your internet is via DSL. What download speeds do you get? Of course there have been people having Netflix problems with 20 Mbps download speeds, so that isn't the whole story. (No one knows the whole story.)

There are plenty of exceptions, but as a general rule you will do much better with wired internet rather than wireless for Netflix.

The general consensus is that every other box for getting Netflix is better than a TiVo.

3. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Quitting Netflix *ON* TiVo. You can try going wired instead of wireless and it might help but it won't necessarily fix your problems completely. It didn't fix it for me.

TiVo is good (as a DVR)
    Netflix is good
    Netflix on Tivo is not good

4. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
  5. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...

Advertisements

Netflix was really slow to start this morning (9:30am EST). Just as our 2yo wanted to watch Thomas the train. Took nearly 5 minutes to get from the NPL to where the movie was actually playing. Very odd. No bandwidth issues otherwise (nothing else hogging the link). Strange. Most of the time it only pauses 2-5 seconds when starting up.