Netflix Exits to Black Screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by babsonnexus, Apr 19, 2019.

1. babsonnexus

babsonnexus Active Member

Jan 13, 2016

Advertisements

Model: Roamio OTA 1TB
    Experience: TE3

Overview
    Starting a couple of days ago, when I exit the Netflix app (whether through the zoom/back button or just hitting the TiVO home button), it takes me to a black screen. I can hit the home button once during this time and hear a TiVO ding, but just once no matter how many times I hit it (thought he front continues to light up in recognition of the button presses). However, it only seems to return to anything if I mash the home button many times in a row (~20+). Otherwise, it will sit there in the black screen continuously (I have left it for as long as 10 minutes).

Key Notes
    • This does not happen with any other app (IE, YouTube, Hulu) as they all exit immediately.
    • This has not been an issue in the past and there have been zero changes to my setup.
    • I have opened a ticket with TiVO support, but don't have high hopes.

Attempted Solutions

Any thoughts?

2. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I haven't watched Netlfix if a few days but did last night.

I had the same issue. At first I thought the power had gone out to the TV, but no, it was fine.

IIRC, I kept hitting the Home button and the screen returned.

FWIW, I am NOT using Hydra. My Roamio is stock, not updates or changes other than replacing a noisy fan.

Obviously, I have no solution at this time.

What changed?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  3. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    Received an e-mail from support. Short of it is they know about this issue are are "working on it". No ETA.

I wonder if the timing of this is related to the issue of all the OnePasses being reset and deleted episodes returning? Both issues seemed to have happened around the same time.

4. May 1, 2019 #4 of 20
    ThosParB

ThosParB New Member

May 1, 2019
    I have had the same situation for the last 3-4 weeks. Tivo sent me this (robo?) response today. Has anyone tried these steps?

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. We would like to do some troubleshooting with you to see if we can get this issue resolved.

Please follow the troubleshooting steps below:
    •Reboot the device by disconnecting all cables attached to it (Power, coaxial, HDMI, Ethernet) for a minute.
    •While the device is totally disconnected, power cycle the router to refresh the entire connection.
    •Once the router is up, connect all cables back to the DVR.
    • Force a connection on your TiVo box by going to Settings & Messages > Network Settings > TiVo Service Connection.
    • Access again the app.

If the above steps did not resolve your issue, please follow these steps.

1. Uncheck the Affected App under Apps Apps > Add & Manage Apps.
    2. To refresh the connection, force a connection to TiVo service under Settings & Messages > Network Settings > TiVo Service Connection.
    3. Recheck the App.
    4. Force another connection to TiVo service to fully refresh the App.
    5. Access again the affected App to see if issue still persists.

Sincerely,
    Toni

TiVo Customer Support Representative

5. May 2, 2019 #5 of 20
    ThosParB

ThosParB New Member

May 1, 2019

Advertisements

Hello again. I tried both of them and there is no change to the blank screen situation. I’ll keep pushing back on TiVo.

6. May 2, 2019 #6 of 20
    babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    @ThosParB , I think you just got a bad representative who didn't look into the issue beyond the page 1 generic response. Write back and tell them to reference Case #08708783 or follow-up with representative Gergimar John who seems to know that it is at least a known issue.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a known timeline, but in a good change of pace they have left my ticket open and not closed it immediately, so that at least shows they are not just trying to make their numbers look good.

7. May 2, 2019 #7 of 20
    LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia Member

Apr 24, 2015
    I have the same problem which started last week. BUT: I'm not complaining because Netflix is working great (past problems with the apps not working on TiVo). I was thinking the reason for this is I haven't updated to Hydra.

8. May 3, 2019 #8 of 20
    mholt85

mholt85 New Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I have seen the same issue as well with my Roamio Plus (non-Hydra) box over the last couple of weeks when the kids are using Netflix. Hitting the TiVo home button seems to bring me back to the main menu but it is definitely sluggish. I will check this thread again for updates and thanks for logging a case

9. May 3, 2019 #9 of 20
    snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Whenever I've seen this behavior, I've just waited a few seconds and the TiVo comes back. I'm not convinced that pushing buttons on the remote makes the process any faster.

10. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    Please log a ticket at well! TiVO may be aware of the issue, but the more people that log tickets the more likely it will get some attention from development.

Per the OP above, I waited 10 minutes and it did not come back until I went into push button mode. I can consistently replicate this every single time. What model TiVO do you have and what experience do you have installed? What we have not established is if there is a difference by those factors. From above, it looks alike all Roamio models on TE3 seem to be having it.

11. shiffrin

shiffrin Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    I've also had the same problem, but if I just wait about 1 minute, the Tivo screen returns. I don't push any buttons, just wait.

12. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    So you made me paranoid that I was wrong about the time, but when I just exited with the Zoom/Back button and left it running for 3 minutes, it did not return to the menu until I hit the home button 50 times.

However, I decided to keep testing and I found that after hitting the Zoom/Back button, if I hit the TiVO Home button just one time and waited 30 seconds it would come back. So there is no need to button mash, just do that combination.

Next, I tried to just exit with the TiVO Home button alone. When I just hit it once it also came back in 30 seconds. So while that is not an acceptable exit, it at least does without the button mashing. So the issue appears to be related to the Zoom/Back button.

So I'm guess you have been exiting with the TiVO Home button which is why it might not be as noticed but some others if they are doing the same.

Well, at least this saves some pain for now!

13. shiffrin

shiffrin Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Yes, I always exit Netflix with the home button. It takes between 15 and 30 seconds to bring up the Tivo home screen. I figure it has some cleanup to do after being connected to Netflix. The black screen makes you think something is very wrong, but mine has always come back.

14. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I have a Roamio Plus running TE3. I always exit Netflix by pushing the TiVo Home button.

15. ThosParB

ThosParB New Member

May 1, 2019
    I did receive a follow-up note from Tivo, below. I was surprised to receive this message, but I"m not surprised that a fix has no deadline.

Dear Thomas,

Hope you're doing good today.

We apologize for the delay in responding back to your inquiry on case number 08734041. The issue with the Netflix app has now been reported as true to other TiVo devices and there is an open trouble ticket as of this time. Our team is currently working on a fix for this problem. There is no time frame as to when this issue will be resolved and we apologize for the inconvenience. We will be attaching your case number to the trouble ticket for investigation.

Sincerely,
    Izra

TiVo Customer Support Representative

16. MtnTech

MtnTech New Member

May 5, 2019
    I had this too on my factory Roamio. I resisted the User Experience upgrade over the last year because it was initially reported to be buggy. It is now pretty solid, so I upgraded and my Netflix is fast again.

17. joelsaks

joelsaks New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I, too, had this problem on my TiVo Roamio Basic. When I exited Netflix with the home button, I got a gray screen (my letterbox bars are gray, not black) for exactly 30 seconds before seeing TiVo Central. When I exited Netflix with the “Exit Netflix” menu option, I got a gray screen indefinitely; after well over 5 minutes, I’d go into button mash mode and could eventually get back to a real picture.

I reported the problem to TiVo support on 04/27/2019 and said they’d email me when the problem was fixed.

Well, I just got a call from Jay in TiVo support, who asked if the problem was fixed. When I checked Netflix, lo and behold, the problem was indeed fixed (both 30-second and forever gray screens)!

Jay said they’ve been working with Netflix on the problem. They’re rolling out a fix and checking with users who’ve reported the problem to see if the fix works for them.

Jay said that once they determine that the problem has indeed been fixed, they’ll send an email to that effect.

Has the problem been fixed for anyone else? Has anyone else been contacted by TiVo?

babsonnexus and MtnTech like this.
  18. ThosParB

ThosParB New Member

May 1, 2019
    Same here! I noticed last night that Netflix exited flawlessly and I just received a call from TiVo support. The rep said they pushed through an update to my box and others too. Just for grins I looked up the software version on my Roamio for anyone else who wants to compare: 20.7.4.RC42-848-6-848

I have to admit I'm impressed with the follow-up.

19. shiffrin

shiffrin Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Now working fine for me also.

20. babsonnexus

Jan 13, 2016
    I have not received any calls or e-mails yet, but I just checked and we are exiting as expected now with both TiVO Home Button and Zoom/Exit, so I'm happy about that!