Netflix crashed my TIVO, won't restart...Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by wbrownie, Dec 10, 2008.

1. wbrownie

wbrownie New Member

Nov 30, 2006

Advertisements

Last night was watching a Netflix movie and got a grey screen. Everything froze and had to do an unplug reset.

After several attempts, it hangs on "Almost there...

Tried kickstart 58 and 52 with similar results.

It is a TIVO HD XL, less than a week old.

Any advice?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Try unplugging it for 10 minutes and then plug it back in. Also, how long did you wait for it to boot? The XL can take a long time to boot sometimes.

3. Lykaon

Lykaon New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I don't know about the XL, but my Series 3 literally takes almost 15 minutes to reboot.

4. wbrownie

wbrownie New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I unplugged it over night and still is hanging up at "Almost there...."

Even after 30 minutes plus.

I'll give TIVO support a call I guess.

5. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
  6. leagle

leagle New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    HD Tivo

I added Netflix and started playing one of the streaming videos (30 Rock). The playback froze and the tivo went dead. It would not go to the main menu it wasn't even flashing the IR light when the remote was used. After a hard reboot it hangs at the "Almost there" screen.

Tivo customer support says that it's a hard drive crash. Unless the software somehow crashed the hard drive, I find that hard to believe. More likely is that the software caused an unresolvable conflict in the tivo software. Now the question is getting them to fix it without me having to send them my box and without having to pay to fix some problem that they created.

7. wbrownie

wbrownie New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    that's the exact issue I had. My box is going back today after exhausting all alternatives.

8. uglie

uglie New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Man not good, sounds like we're screwed brownie. I had the same issue as you.

9. kongjie

kongjie Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wow. I had much the same thing. Watched my first Netflix film and got 98% through, just 5 minutes or so left and the screen froze.

I had to unplug and restart. Went to sleep and forgot about it. In the morning I turned on the TV and it was stuck on the "almost there" screen.

However, another unplug and restart and after about 10 minutes, it was working normally. But I'm afraid about using Netflix again.

10. wbrownie

wbrownie New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Yep. My replacement is on the big brown truck to TN. Be here on Tuesday hopefully.

Another weekend with the Comcast DVR. Ugh....

My advice, obviously, is to stay away from Netflix until these crashes stop...

11. zookee

zookee New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm having the same problem as well. We just got the latest software upgrade yesterday and tried viewing Netflix videos for the first time. After about 10 minutes it froze up. The remote became unresponsive and I finally got to the Tivo Central Screen. However, the background behind the menu was the frozen Netflix movie--not the usual Tivo graphics. Then I selected now playing and then picked a recorded show. It took it a long but it finally started, then froze after a few minutes. Then Tivo completely froze up and I had to unplug to reboot. I tried several times but never got past the "just a few minutes more . . ." screen. I'm now on my third call to Tivo tech support who have had me try various things (including decoupling my external hard drive so I've now lost all my recorded shows) to no avail. They were insisting it was a hard drive problem so I suggested running one of the kickstart tests (54 I think) to check the hard drive. The tech didn't know what that was but he researched it and said we should give it a try. We did and the test passed. The harddrive is fine. Its obviously a software issue. Then I got disconnected while he was putting me on hold and didn't call me back. So I phoned tech support again and am now talking with my 4th tech support person. I have wasted about 5 hours of my time so far trying to resolve this issue and am getting very frustrated. It seems that there are quite a few people having this same problem yet the tech's don't seem to know anything about it. Sad.

Update: Now they say its a hardware issue even though their own hardware diagnostic test said the hard drive was fine. They are sending me a new Tivo box. This is my third one in less than a year and a half. I love the product but the reliability and customer service is lacking.

12. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Obviously this is not a hard drive issue. TiVo CS told me the same thing when the 9.3.2 update crashed my TiVo beyond recovery - the drive passed every single HD test I put it through.

Instead of denying that there is any issue with the software, they should try and figure out what the issue is. The problem is of course that since the CSRs refuse to acknowledge even the existence of any bug (and there is NO way to talk to anyone beyond Level 2 techs), it can't be fixed.

13. nosilla

nosilla New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    i've had my tivo for a week or so and have been addicted to my netflix a-team episodes. it froze lastnight during an exciting welding montage ... and now my tivo wont reboot.

this thread is a little old but it seems the issue prevail.

i rebooted again and left for work (crossing fingers!).

14. rturrentine

rturrentine New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Huntsville, AL
    I had watched several Netflix streams several times without a problem. This past weekend however, I watched a movie and it locked up when trying to end the movie.

I tried to reboot my TivoHD by cycling the power. Let it stay that way for at least 15 minutes or more. I tried again for 20 minutes. I then unplugged the ethernet, tried again for 20+ minutes (I think 30 minutes). Still no luck. I then plugged the ethernet back in and rebooted. This time it worked.

Not sure if this will work for you but thought I would share my story!

15. wbrownie

wbrownie New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Sorry to hear that. Since I received my replacement over a month ago, I have not gone near netflix...i'm scared....

16. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I guess I stick with DVDs. Thanks for the warning.

17. urwathrtz

urwathrtz Death Metal Dad

Jan 18, 2008
    Upstate, NY
    Netflix killed my TiVo back in December. TiVo sent a new box and I was having Netflix issues with it too. I'm not using Netflix again until they fix it.

18. ryanperry

ryanperry Whimpy

Jun 21, 2005
    Silicon Valley
    Don't know if this will work forever but a workaround to the issue everyone is having is to leave your TiVo unplugged from power all night.

The problem:
    Series 3 "Eiger" HD

Was watching netflix for a bit (I saw 2 episodes of weeds and 10min of a movie) and TiVo completely freezes. No IR, no remote response, screen is light gray.

Also - my internet router was blown. Couldn't connect to the internet from a laptop via wifi or a mac via ethernet. Had to turn off the power to the router and reboot. Everything but the TiVo worked fine after that.

Failed attempts:
    Unplugged power and the first couple reboots only got to "Almost There. A few more minutes". Waited 30min for each one when normally my reboots take 15min.

The solution:
    Unplugged power overnight (7-8hrs) and the TiVo booted up just fine.

Will follow up if this works for a while, or even if it crashes again.

I didn't like not having TiVo for the night, but at least now I don't have to go to the post office or use Comcast's DVR!!!

19. NebAv

NebAv New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I had similar issues. My HD died in Dec. after crashing on Netflix. I don't know if it was a hard drive or software issue. All I got on reboots was a flashing green light on the box nothing on the tv. I got a new HD from Best Buy, mine was only 31 days old and they had extended returns for the hoilday, or I would have had to pay shipping for a refurb unit. My new HD has crashed a couple of times on Netflix since then. I will not use netflix via Tivo until I stop seeing so many posts here about the problems. It seems pretty clear that there are some major issues with netflix and Tivo.

20. oopy493

oopy493 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I had the same experience. I had assumed it was a coincidental HD failure and I figured easier to spend the $75 for a new giant HD than to reformat and risk another failure. Looks like I should reimage this old one and put it in my unupgraded tivo.

I had the same symptoms as the posts above. Went gray and locked up during Netflix playbook then hung on Almost there... no matter how long it rested or I waited for boot up.