Netflix connections speed SLOW despite very fast internet connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by DrNorm, Sep 15, 2017.

1. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009

Advertisements

I am not entirely sure if this is a "Bolt" issue or a "Netflix app on Bolt". Unfortunately, there is no native speed-test for Amazon (or any of the other streaming apps nor for the Bolt itself) for comparison.

I have cable modem with typical download speeds in 120-150Mbps to desktop when tested thru any number of speed-test services, including the router's built-in app. When I run Netflix app on my desktop, it consistently reports DL speeds of 54 Mbps (more than enough for 4k streaming).

However, when I run the Netflix app on my Bolt, I am consistently getting only 6.2Mbps DL speeds whether connected via AC WiFi or Cat5 home (in-wall LAN thru Gigabit switch) or a Cat 6 cable directly to router.

Just to be clear, when using Netflix app on desktop computer, typical DL speeds (reported by Netflix app) are 52Mbps. The Bolt is connected directly to the same Gigabit router as desktop using a brand new Cat6 cable... and the DL speeds in the Netflix app continue to be 6.2 Mbps.

I am baffled. The Bolt has a Gigabit connection and all cables used are rated Cat6.

no one else is using any bandwidth during these tests. these numbers have remained consistent over weeks. Only an issue now as I just got a new 4k capable AVR/display. This is not an HMDI issue, either.

2. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I also checked my connection speed using the Netflix app on my Roku. I got nearly the exact same speed of 6.4 Mbps. This was connected via Cat6 cable DIRECTLY to the same router that my desktop is connected to. Yet, the desktop shows a connect speed of 54 Mbps from web browser logged into my Netflix acct.

I also assigned a fixed-IP to the Bolt and that also made no difference.

I think that pretty much rules out it being either of the boxes, themselves, but something unique to the Netflix app? Two different boxes connected to a router with 150 Mbps DL from speed test, only 54 Mbps from Netflix.com and 6.4 Mbps from Netflix app on TiVo and Roku.

Maybe the next step is to contact my internet provider (Spectrum cable) tomorrow and see if there is something "funny" happening on their end?

I'm truly at a loss as to what to troubleshoot or where to look, next.

3. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I have a 300mbps connection and have never seen more that 30-40 mbps testing the Netflix app on my devices. I would take a laptop over to where your roku and bolt are and see what they test there to rule out a connection issue

4. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
  5. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009

Advertisements

No need to take laptop to the Bolt, instead I walked a new 100ft Cat6 cable from router to Bolt (and then swapped it to Roku). My desktop, connected to exact same router, shows DL speeds which vary between 90- 150 Mbps (confirmed with various different speed tests) and 54Mbps from the Netflix app running on Chrome browser. But Bolt and Roku (both connected to same router) BOTH show DL speeds of on 6.4Mbps from the Netflix apps running on those boxes.

Rebooting boxes, router and cable modem changes nothing. Bolt has dedicated IP address.

Bolt's WiFi radio is "on" (though, not connected when ethernet cable is plugged in and network settings shows internet connection via ethernet) but there was some discusion that this could be affecting things. However, I have same issue with Netflix app on Roku. I "think" I have ruled-out it being a network issue as I have used network connections to the TiVo via Cat6, a in-wall Cat5 LAN and the AC WiFi and all give exact same result.

6. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
  7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Maybe there is some routing issue with your ISP in your area? I'm on FiOS Gigabit and only see 40 or 50Mb/s in the Netflix speed tests. But what matters to me is when actually streaming a title. And they typically start at the top UHD encode of 15Mb/s or ramps up to it within a few seconds. And stays there during the entire show.

8. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    NEXT TEST:
    connected Bolt directly to projector with good cable (both HDCP 2.2).
    Bolt connected directly to router via Cat6.
    Rebooted Bolt.
    loaded Netflix app.

4k titles available now show "4k Ultra HD" as video source code and begin playing within a few seconds.
    then re-ran Netflix connection speed test from app --> still 6.6Mbps.

WTF???

Whether watching a 4k show or an HD show, the Projector is now showing a "4k source @ 60Hz, SDR 4:2:0" so the Bolt must be upconverting even 1080p to 4k @ 60Hz (which the Epson can handle- just not 60Hz + HDR?)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    If you open this video on a Netflix app on a device, pause it, then resume it on your TiVo it should display speed.

Example Short 23.976 | Netflix

10. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    AT&T Wireless has (and maybe others too) a "Stream Saver" feature which changes streams recognized as video to SD resolution so you don't inadvertently hit your data cap early in the month. If you might be hitting something like that (and your data cap is high), you should be able to turn off the feature on their web site.

Oops! Nevermind. I just noticed you don't have the problem on your computer.

11. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    How are you using the app to test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I am simply opening Netflix app on Bolt (and on Roku) and navigating to the network settings page and selecting "check network connection"
    Nothing else is running or streaming anywhere in my system/home during this test.

HOWEVER- I did make one change that had a dramatic impact (but did not solve the problem)
    I turned off "Media Prioritization on my Linksys AC1900 router. )QoS prioritization)

Speedtest from desktop = 350Mbbs !!! Previous max of about 150 Mbps for past year since upgrading service and cable modem! I was "supposed" to be on a 300Mbps plan and next call was to Cable Co to come troubleshoot my system to see why so slow (there are some filters and an amp installed on the cable line at entry point to house. I was thinking that perhaps the amp had failed or filter needed changing. I have very good cable/ISP tech who came and "tuned" my system for maximum signal- which, at the time, was 100Mbps- 4 or 5 yrs ago)

Netflix speed test from desktop using Fast.com = 240Mbps - previously max was about 54 Mbs.

then I rebooted modem, rebooted router, rebooted Roku (just to be sure...) and ran the Netflix app speedtest from Roku. 5.8 Mbps. (ran it again with old Cat5 LAN and still only 6.1 Mbps)

what the hell? I was expecting to be BLOWN AWAY by Netflix connection speeds.

So, still no answer as to what's going on with Netflix. I added the Roku speed test channel, to try that, as well, but it hasn't appeared yet in my channel line-up.

I guess I'll keep researching this.....

13. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    As a test, try different DNS servers on your router. (ie, your isp's, google's dns, opendns, etc...)

There are situations where using different DNS's can result in different CDN assignments, and you end up doing a speedtest from coast to coast instead of to the closest servers. (Worth a try, not high odds, but worth a try).

compnurd likes this.
  14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So both the Bolt and the Roku Netflix apps report around 6.x Mbps? I was originally thinking maybe it was just an issue with the app on the Bolt but you've got 2 devices reporting about the same thing now. I also checked it on Netflix with our Roamio and got 30Mbps on our 25Mbps Comcast service which matches the general speedtests results I get on the PC.

Doesn't make much sense unless the app has an issue with speed results that are high enough that it's causing a display issue. Are you actually seeing any issues on either platform? If not then don't worry about it. :)

Scott

15. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I agree. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE....
    4k streaming actually seems "just fine" on both devices but still can't reconcile why my router and desktop see consistent internet DL speeds of 300-350 mbps and the Netflix app on Chrome browser (desktop) shows 45-55 mbps (connecting to Netflix servers). Yet the Bolt and the Roku, both connected to same router via Cat6 ethernet, both show Netflix server connection speeds of only 6 mpbs. I just brought home a Roku Ultra. Even though it doesn't offer much more than the Bolt as a streaming box, I am thinking of giving that a try to see if I get a different result. Roku also has a "speed test channel" but I need to get that loaded onto the box before I can try it.

As far as "don't worry about it"- I'm not good at leaving things like this unresolved. There has got to be some explanation for these findings?

as an example of why, I don't want to "just ignore it," see a couple of posts back (9/16 @ 10:31) re my internet speed increase from 150 --> 350 after exploring reasons for "slower than expected" connection speed.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Roku Ultra offers much more in the way of streaming than the Bolt does. It isnt even a contest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

17. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Bolt vs. Roku.
    Interesting that you would say that? My only streaming needs are Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Plex and Showtime. Of those, the only service that the Bolt does not support is Showtime. Since Showtime is not broadcasting in 4k, the Bolt will handle all the others and I can use my Roku3 for Showtime.

I bought the Roku Ultra because I'm just not sure what I want to do but I'm having a hard time talking myself into opening the box to add a new device that doesn't "seem" to add any new ability.... UNLESS it is just "better" and/or faster than the Bolt at streaming Netflix/Amazon/HBO ?? otherwise it "seems" like it's kind of redundant?

18. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Honestly I wouldnt sweat it if it is working.... I get different results between my Bolt, PS4 and TV app... None come close to my ISP speed but i have never had an issue with 4K

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    SInce you have the Bolt and Ultra I would think you have a UHD TV and need UHD streaming. The Bolt only has Netflix and youtube in UHD. And no HDR capability. While the ROku Ultra has UHD and HDR for Amazon, Netflix, and Youtube. OF course HBO and Showtime only have HD content.

20. PAP

PAP Member

Oct 6, 1999
    Ohio
    I've got a Bolt Plus. Streaming "Turn" and see a lot of video artifacts around moving objects. Went to speed test and got only about 13-15Mbps on the bolt. Speedtest on my desktop shows 115Mbps and running the netflix app built into my LG TV shows 87.09Mbps.

So this appears to be a Bolt issue. Anyone else seeing this? Do I just have a bad one?