Netflix arrives today!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by davezatz, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1 of 686
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA

Advertisements

[​IMG]

Netflix arrives today (Monday)! I took a brief video:
    http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-12/netflix-arrives-on-tivo-today/

And here's the release that'll hit the wires at 8:30AM:
    LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION! MOVIES AND TV EPISODES
    FROM NETFLIX DIRECTLY TO THE TV THROUGH TIVO DVRs AVAILABLE TODAY

Just in Time for the Holidays, Offering Brings Budget Conscious Entertainment to Consumers

ALVISO, Calif. - December 8, 2008 — After announcing a groundbreaking partnership in October with Netflix Inc., TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), today announced that subscribers to both Netflix and TiVo® Series3, TiVo HD, or TiVo HD XL can now access thousands of movies and TV episodes instantly streamed from Netflix directly to their TVs.

The service is being offered at no additional charge to customers who subscribe to both services. This morning subscribers can browse through an expanding library of more than 12,000 movies and TV episodes at www.netflix.com, add them to their Netflix instant Queue, and then watch them on TV with just a click of the TiVo remote. The library includes titles from every genre, with a modest selection of HD content available as well. Both standard and HD titles are expected to grow in the weeks and months ahead.

“With so much talk focusing on the economy these days, this partnership makes more sense than ever because it brings people more movies at home, offering substantially more entertainment options than cable or satellite," said Tara Maitra, GM and Vice President of Content Services at TiVo Inc. “TiVo offers consumers everything they need from just one box. Not only great content from Netflix, but also movies from The Walt Disney Studios and Amazon, music from Rhapsody, videos from YouTube and even pictures from Picasa Web Albums and Photobucket. And that’s all in addition to TiVo’s core functionality that made us a favorite in the first place. It adds up to a one-of-a-kind value.”

“Netflix offers an unbeatable combination of convenience, selection, and value, which now extends to TiVo customers,” said Netflix Chief Marketing Officer Leslie Kilgore. This partnership is a win-win-win for Netflix, TiVo, and consumers alike.”

Movies are streamed from Netflix through TiVo DVRs via wired or wireless broadband connection and a Netflix Queue-based user interface. Members visit the Netflix Web site to add movies and TV episodes to their individual instant Queues. Those choices will automatically be displayed on subscribers’ TVs and are available to watch instantly through the TiVo service. With the TiVo remote control users can browse their instant Queue, make selections right on the TV screen, as well as read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they have the option of pausing, fast-forwarding, rewinding and re-starting whenever they wish.

For more information on how to have movies instantly streamed from Netflix via your TiVo DVR visit www.tivo.com/netflix.

# # #

2. Dec 8, 2008 #2 of 686
    bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    not for me yet, but i just told my tivo to connect to the internet again. hopefully it picks up the message to enable it. i got my fall update this morning.

3. Dec 8, 2008 #3 of 686
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Can't wait! Don't see it yet after a net connect. Probably sometime tomorrow after a net connect it will show up on my S3s. I've got the instant queue loaded up with stuff to watch, some of them supposedly available in HD.

4. Dec 8, 2008 #4 of 686
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
  5. Dec 8, 2008 #5 of 686
    tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005

Advertisements

It works!!!! its on my tivo now

6. Dec 8, 2008 #6 of 686
    Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    Just as a note to everyone the 30s skip does not work with Netflix-Tivo.

Thanks Tivo, I well play with Netflix more in the morning.

7. Dec 8, 2008 #7 of 686
    Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Working here for me after a forced call home. Watching "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" @ 720p on a wireless connection, started up after about 4 seconds.

8. Dec 8, 2008 #8 of 686
    GadgetVirtuoso

GadgetVirtuoso Member

Sep 27, 2001
    Fort Worth,...
    TiVo HD and Series 3 added and working without a hitch. Love it!

9. Dec 8, 2008 #9 of 686
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you just got Netflix on your TiVo, be sure to check out HD titles like Pan’s Labyrinth, Flawless, Heroes: Season 3, and The Office: Season 4.

10. Dec 8, 2008 #10 of 686
    hotwire32

hotwire32 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Reading this made me go double check my Tivo, when I looked at 10:00 Video On Demand was down for maintence. But this time OMG there it is, checked out Blade Runner, woo hoo it works!!

I just wish there was something that could be done about streaming to Series 2, but now it looks like I'll need to try and pickup one of the "refreshed" Tivo HDs for Ma's X-Mas present!

:up::up:
    :up::up:

double/double thumbs up Tivo!

11. Dec 8, 2008 #11 of 686
    bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    one more internet connect and i'm up! christmas has come early

12. Dec 8, 2008 #12 of 686
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you like Sci Fi, "Primer" is another good title if you can tolerate the slow start.

13. Dec 8, 2008 #13 of 686
    johnsom

johnsom New Member

May 30, 2001
    Oregon
    I got a "down for maintenance" message and tried again to find Netflix turned on and activated my series 3.

Now, how about some HD streaming goodness?

14. Dec 8, 2008 #14 of 686
    johnsom

johnsom New Member

May 30, 2001
    Oregon
    The only movie in my queue that is available on Blu-Ray and on the streaming list is Transsiberian, but I just get a black screen and stereo audio when I stream it. Fast forward shows an image, but not HD.

I double checked and HDCP is listed in the system info. as enabled, so it's not a lack of DRM support. It kind of acts like it though.

The other movies in my queue seem to stream ok, but they are all DVD only in the queue.

Revision:

Outsourced came in HD.... Odd. It has something to do with the "quality" box that comes up when you start a stream. This one had "HD", but the others didn't.

Sweet. Thank you Tivo and Netflix! Happy holidays for all.

15. Dec 8, 2008 #15 of 686
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Only 300-400 of the 12,000 titles are currently available in HD. Netflix is expanding that library a little each week.

As seen in the Engadget screenshot, TiVo clearly identifies when you are watching a title in HD. On HD titles, all 13 "bars" are lit and you see a HD graphic.

[​IMG]

When you activate your TiVo, you will see a new "HD" category under Genre on TiVo's web site. Here is the direct link, although it won't work until you activate your TiVo with Netflix. Note this listing is incomplete, as it currently lists only about 2/3 of the titles available in HD.

16. Dec 8, 2008 #16 of 686
    demon

demon BURNINATOR

Nov 15, 2006
    Western SD
    Works here too. Just happened to flip into the Video on Demand menu, and noticed Netflix had appeared. Activated, and streaming works perfectly. Not that I need two devices for Netflix streaming, but since I'll be watching TV through my TiVo already... one less button to push. :)

17. Dec 8, 2008 #17 of 686
    westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    Got HD (720p) when I looked at "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels"

18. Dec 8, 2008 #18 of 686
    Da Goon

Oct 22, 2006
    me too :up:

19. Dec 8, 2008 #19 of 686
    Tivoli

Tivoli Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Yeah I give this one :up::up::up:

I am only getting SD, but that is probably because of my slow DSL connection. Those who are getting HD, what speed is your ISP connection?

20. Dec 8, 2008 #20 of 686
    Da Goon

Oct 22, 2006
    I've got a ~6mb cable connection from comcast. For internet streaming, the quality is better than I expected it to be.