Netflix and Top Gear

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by PeteTV, Jun 24, 2011.

1. PeteTV

PeteTV Member

May 6, 2006
    Are there any other Series 3 (original) owners out there that use Netflix and are having problems playing the Top Gear (UK) episodes?

Trying to determine if it's really a problem with Netflix (my guess) or just me (their guess).

Last week (maybe it's been 2 weeks), I called Netflix because the Top Gear episodes on my TiVo are, well basically unwatchable. This was before the recent general problems with Netflix website/streaming.

I can play other shows/movies on the TiVo just fine, but Top Gear... at least seasons 2-8 (season 1 not avail streaming), pause, skip, jump, etc to the point where I can't watch them. Episodes starting from season 9 seem to be ok, but the earlier ones are bad.

Is it just me?

If you're seeing the same problem I am, you should be able to tell within a few seconds of starting the episode. The audio/video will be out of sync and the video will pause, speed-up and skip.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I saw this on *various* episodes long ago when I tried it..

based upon my notes, I've watched
    s9
    ep 2 hugh grant, ep 3, florida $1000 cars, ep 5 lamborghini

I'm guessing ep 4 had the problem you mention. I remember it was a problem on one I tried to watch.

I suggest calling Netflix AND Tivo to complain

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Just ran into this myself last night. Seasons 2-8 do not play on an original Series 3.

I had the same kind of issues with some of the Doctor Who seasons as well so whatever format they are using doesn't work with the S3 but I believe it does work with the HD.

Unfortunately, I doubt they will ever fix it.

Scott

4. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I suggest you CALL TIVO and tell them this.

and/or if Netflix sends you the 'how was video quality' email, respond that it didn't work.

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I have experienced exactly what the OP describes, but for me it is the free internet content from Revision 3, etc. If I restart the TiVo, the troublesome videos play as they should. This odd behavior happens about every 3 months for reasons I just can't figure out, but in each case, restarting the TiVo fixes it. I am referring to the gray screen or how it jumps from start to end if using the 30 second skip or it just jumps to the end on it's own.

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    It is not just you - I can absolutely confirm the problem exactly as you described. On my S3, S8E8 does not play properly, but S9E1 is fine.

But on my THD box, all episodes play perfectly, as they also do on my Sony Blu-ray player.

7. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Interesting. I was probably using my (currently dead) S3 at the time, as that was my "primary" Tivo. I should try the affected episodes on my TivoHD.

8. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Which makes this very difficult to get Netflix to fix. I called numerous times over several months about the Doctor Who sessions which had this problem and no fix.

Scott

9. Jul 2, 2011 #9 of 12
    rgbrooks

rgbrooks New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    The S3/HD Netflix interface is a joke. The one on my Wii is much easier to use but it only displays 480i.
    It's not always convenient to login to a computer to put something new in my queue. I have an app on my itouch that can do searches and add things on the fly.

10. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    We've got 3 PC's in our living area with our TV and TiVos (son's, wife's and mine) so adding things to the NetFlix queue is not a problem. Alternatively, we just use Search to find specific items and watch them (Searched and watched the first episode of an anime series with my son tonight for example).

Scott

11. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    The TiVo/Netflix interface is about the only thing I gripe about. Episodic shows are a pain to watch now that they combine all the seasons. Other interfaces remember exactly what you watched last and TiVo's interface does nothing. Just to pick up where you left off at a later date, you have to page through all the queue listings, find the show, find the season, and then find the episode. Roku and Xbox360 will take you right to the next episode if you last viewed an episodic show. No help from TiVo at all. Sad.

My TiVoHD won't run Pawn Stars, Season 3 - Episode 12 (S3E12). I get a bright green bar across the center of the picture. This episode plays fine on my Xbox360, Roku, and PC, so I didn't think to start a topic. All the other episodes of that show play fine on TiVo. No big deal, but strange.

12. naschmitz

naschmitz New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I have the exact same issue. TopGear plays fine on with Netflix on my iPad & TiVo Premiere, but is unwatchable on my Series 3 HD.