Netflix, Amazon Prime Were Fine, Now ALWAYS Crash.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Andrew B, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Jun 3, 2019 #1 of 19
    Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Oct 7, 2017

Advertisements

-- Tivo Bolt (a refurb that's about a year old, sent to me after my original Bolt died at 13 months.)

Very recently, both the Netflix and Amazon Prime Video apps have stopped working on my Bolt.

In the case of Netflix, I'll see about three seconds of content before it crashes. Prime Video seems to crash immediately.

These apps on other devices (like a Blu-Ray player, a Roku stick and an iPad) work just fine via WiFi. Still, I've rebooted my cable modem and router several times and even connected the Bolt with ethernet cable instead of WiFi. No luck.

On a forum post, someone said a similar issue was happening due to an HDCP error, so I went into the settings, changed the TiVo resolution from "Auto" to "1080i" and rebooted. For one day, that seemed to fix the problem. But now it's happening again. It doesn't seem to matter if the TiVo's resolution is set to Auto, 1080i, or 1080p -- the Netflix and Prime Video apps crash every time. I've tried signing out of those apps and signing back in, exiting the apps, forcing them to reload, you name it. Nothing seems to work.

I've rebooted and power-cycled the TiVo Bolt many times to try to isolate variables, and it seems like there's definitely something not right with the Netflix and Prime Video apps. All the other TiVo functionality is perfectly fine.

Any idea about how to fix this? Just about to throw in the towel on TiVo.

2. mgmcotton

mgmcotton New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    I was getting an error with Netflix. After speaking with Netflix, I unplugged the unit for 2-3 minutes and then plugged the unit back in. This causes the unit and apps to fully shut down and reload. This cleared it up for a bit but the problem returned. Netflix support suggested that I use a different HDMI cable. I order the IBRA 4K cable from Amazon. The 10 foot cable was about $12 and it was a lot thicker than other cables I have, even the ones an A/V company used to setup my systems. This cleared up the issue and we notice the screen reaction times went down a lot.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's best not to depend on a company known for having 3rd rate quality apps/implementation. Sure, they have improved some, but there are still better options when it comes to quality and reliability. No need to give up on the best dvr experience available because of poor apps that can be had elsewhere.

4. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Great suggestion -- for $12 it's worth a shot. My current HDMI cables are decent quality, but there's no harm in isolating another variable.

5. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Oct 7, 2017

Advertisements

Well, I'm not so sure about that. :)

The beauty of TiVo is a totally integrated experience...one box, one source, one remote. And it's not like Netflix and Amazon Prime are new concepts or platforms -- they've been around for years, and obviously, other companies have it down. I could definitely switch over to my Blu-Ray player or a Roku stick for those apps (actually, that's what I'm doing now), but then the whole point of the TiVo box is undermined a bit.

I think the reality is that even as good as TiVo can be, especially from the DVR/interface standpoint, it's a dying thing. Bugs like this point to that fact, as do long delays in response from tech support and hassles over hardware. Ah well... tech marches on.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    So how are the apps on Tivo in your experience?

7. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Well, up until about a month ago, they were fine. Since then, something broke. Music-based apps like Pandora continue to function normally.

I totally get it, too -- the complexity of developing reliable apps for multiple platforms (which themselves must account for evolving standards in resolution, bitrate, copy protection and many other things) is not an easy thing. I also totally get that the AppleTVs, Samsungs, Sonys and Rokus of the world probably have considerably more money and resources than Tivo to dedicate to getting this right.

The reality is that boxes will soon be virtual and local DVRs will be gone.

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Did you try uninstalling the Apps and then re-installing them?

-KP

9. Aug 5, 2020 #9 of 19
    DFranch

DFranch New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I know this is an old thread, but all of a sudden in the last couple of weeks the Amazon video app is crashing my bolt like every 3rd time I use it. The netflix app works great. But I've been switching to my Fire TV Stick lately because I don't want to crash my machine again. I haven't tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. I'll do that and report back if it seems to work.

10. upgradepathnotfound

upgradepathnotfound New Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Hulu rarely works properly on my TiVo these days. More recently, Amazon will crash while starting it and seems to need a reboot to get it to work again. Netflix always works fine on our TiVo. I’m really losing confidence in TiVo and I’m debating getting an Apple TV and just moving on.

11. squash22

squash22 New Member

Feb 4, 2018
    I'm getting the same thing. Netflix works fine. Amazon Prime Video crashes on opening and requires a reboot of the box. Hulu crashes randomly and one time crashed so badly it caused an overheat message to instantly appear.

I invested a lot of money in Tivo hardware with 4 mini's and a Bolt box with Lifetime subscription just to see the software decline in efficacy.

12. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    We have been having problems with Amazon and Netflix since we got our bolt a few months back. We get messages that say we're having trouble playing this title right now please try again later. Tivo every time I call has me do the same thing and unplug sign out of apps resign in do these force connections reboot Tivo turn off mocha. We are using Ethernet and have 2 older mini's. We use the new Tivo Experience and as far as I know it's only on the bolt not on the minis. Every time I do what Tivo ask it works for a few days then stops and we go to the Roku. We didn't buy the bolt for this to happen and one rep said when I told her it was a known problem are others calling in about it she said no. My husband ran some network test and it said 70 something. He replaced all HDMIS and then it started saying 90 something but the problem still happens. I think our minis are on wifi and we use Mocha but the bolt is ethernet.

They finally said they were escalating the case and would email in a few days. Today I get an email to call back with case # and I wrote down everything she told me to do cause I was recording something and forgot and didn't want to do it yet. But it looks like I am doing stuff we've done before. I read before somewhere on here I think that the apps need to be updated. Someone said uninstall and reinstall them can you do that on the bolt and will it help? And then I see where someone said unplug for 3 minutes cause she told me 15 seconds on the HDMI to the Bolt and the TV. It's just aggravating and I like using the Tivo remote for everything. My one older mini is so slow and it just now froze up on me when I was trying to see if Netflix worked and wont to go back to My Shows. Now it's rebooting! We had a Roamio what worked fine but because of a deal on the Bolt and having a 4K TV we decided to get it with the lifetime. Now I kind of regret it and we sold our Roamio. Are people still having problems?

13. thilt

thilt New Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Yes, I have this problem with Prime Video too. Totally freezes the Bolt+ about every other time I try to use it and I have to reboot the machine. Have switched to using my Bluray for Prime Video but it shouldn't have to be this way. I have done all of the steps mentioned in this thread except uninstalling and reinstalling the app. How do you do this on the Bolt+? Or do they mean just sign out and then back in to the app?

14. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I am not sure if you can uninstall and reinstall the apps. Tivo has been no help to use and every time I call they have me do the same thing over and over. They had us sign in and out of the apps never mentioned uninstalling and reinstalling. We rebooted ran Tivo connection twice did something under network settings with Mocha which was already set the correct way I don't know. Finally they said one more time than we will escalate it to higher up and they called me back and she ran me through a whole list to do and I didn't have time and was going to work so I wrote it all down and never did it. It was pretty much the same as I had done the past 3 or 4 times. Husband been using the Roku but last we used Netflix it was working cause we did what they asked but usually it works for a few days than stops again and we get error messages cannot play right now try again later. And if everything else is working and the Tivo connection is fine it's not with our Network everything else works fine. We've rebooted router we do have a tuning adapter and just started having problems again with some channels not playing error V53.Usually going up a channel and back fixes that. But we never had problems on our Roamio with Netflix and Prime but we mostly used the Roku cause we have a 4K TV and he got the 4K Roku for Christmas. I'm wondering if Edge people have this same problem? I just think it's easier to use the Tivo and it's remote. If their is a way to uninstall and reinstall the apps I'd like to know and if anyone has done this if it's possible and did it help? Oh and we have older minis and they always work when I try. Thanks!

15. mblloyd

mblloyd Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Mercer...
    I have seen no relief from the problem except rebooting.

That includes re-doing Guided Setup - still the problem occurs about 50-75% of the attempts to use Prime.

Does that make it a Prime problem or a TiVo problem?

16. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    It happens to us on both though Prime & Netflix. I don't know who it's a problem with. And like I said with our Roamio we mostly used the Roku cause it's 4K and we got a 4K TV now. So I don't know husbands just been using the Roku but is unhappy with Tivo cause 4 times all they did was have us do the same thing over again.

17. Cheap Flyer

Cheap Flyer Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Coopersburg, PA
    The hard freezing has started while selecting the Plex app as well. TiVo must not be maintaining any of the apps. Very frustrating.

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yeah, so don't use apps on Tivos.

19. mblloyd

mblloyd Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Mercer...
    Exactimundo! I bought a TCL tv for reasons unrelated to it’s Roku operating system. But I have found it to be a far superior way of watching the apps.