Netflix, Amazon Prime Were Fine, Now ALWAYS Crash.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Andrew B, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Oct 7, 2017
    -- Tivo Bolt (a refurb that's about a year old, sent to me after my original Bolt died at 13 months.)

Very recently, both the Netflix and Amazon Prime Video apps have stopped working on my Bolt.

In the case of Netflix, I'll see about three seconds of content before it crashes. Prime Video seems to crash immediately.

These apps on other devices (like a Blu-Ray player, a Roku stick and an iPad) work just fine via WiFi. Still, I've rebooted my cable modem and router several times and even connected the Bolt with ethernet cable instead of WiFi. No luck.

On a forum post, someone said a similar issue was happening due to an HDCP error, so I went into the settings, changed the TiVo resolution from "Auto" to "1080i" and rebooted. For one day, that seemed to fix the problem. But now it's happening again. It doesn't seem to matter if the TiVo's resolution is set to Auto, 1080i, or 1080p -- the Netflix and Prime Video apps crash every time. I've tried signing out of those apps and signing back in, exiting the apps, forcing them to reload, you name it. Nothing seems to work.

I've rebooted and power-cycled the TiVo Bolt many times to try to isolate variables, and it seems like there's definitely something not right with the Netflix and Prime Video apps. All the other TiVo functionality is perfectly fine.

Any idea about how to fix this? Just about to throw in the towel on TiVo.

2. mgmcotton

mgmcotton New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    I was getting an error with Netflix. After speaking with Netflix, I unplugged the unit for 2-3 minutes and then plugged the unit back in. This causes the unit and apps to fully shut down and reload. This cleared it up for a bit but the problem returned. Netflix support suggested that I use a different HDMI cable. I order the IBRA 4K cable from Amazon. The 10 foot cable was about $12 and it was a lot thicker than other cables I have, even the ones an A/V company used to setup my systems. This cleared up the issue and we notice the screen reaction times went down a lot.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's best not to depend on a company known for having 3rd rate quality apps/implementation. Sure, they have improved some, but there are still better options when it comes to quality and reliability. No need to give up on the best dvr experience available because of poor apps that can be had elsewhere.

4. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Great suggestion -- for $12 it's worth a shot. My current HDMI cables are decent quality, but there's no harm in isolating another variable.

5. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Well, I'm not so sure about that. :)

The beauty of TiVo is a totally integrated experience...one box, one source, one remote. And it's not like Netflix and Amazon Prime are new concepts or platforms -- they've been around for years, and obviously, other companies have it down. I could definitely switch over to my Blu-Ray player or a Roku stick for those apps (actually, that's what I'm doing now), but then the whole point of the TiVo box is undermined a bit.

I think the reality is that even as good as TiVo can be, especially from the DVR/interface standpoint, it's a dying thing. Bugs like this point to that fact, as do long delays in response from tech support and hassles over hardware. Ah well... tech marches on.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    So how are the apps on Tivo in your experience?

7. Andrew B

Andrew B New Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Well, up until about a month ago, they were fine. Since then, something broke. Music-based apps like Pandora continue to function normally.

I totally get it, too -- the complexity of developing reliable apps for multiple platforms (which themselves must account for evolving standards in resolution, bitrate, copy protection and many other things) is not an easy thing. I also totally get that the AppleTVs, Samsungs, Sonys and Rokus of the world probably have considerably more money and resources than Tivo to dedicate to getting this right.

The reality is that boxes will soon be virtual and local DVRs will be gone.

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Did you try uninstalling the Apps and then re-installing them?

-KP