Netflik streaming s**ks

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by volfan615, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 #1 of 54
    volfan615

volfan615 New Member

Sep 15, 2010

Advertisements

One of the reasons I went ahead with the premiere was to get the Netflix capability. From what I was hearing was that Netflix was streaming a lot of movies now in HD. Well I can't hardly find anything that says "HD available" on it. Netflix needs to get it's act together. The reason I left Netflix last time was over the streaming quality.

2. Oct 9, 2010 #2 of 54
    ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    I love Netflix streaming through the TiVo -- we watch something most evenings.

3. Oct 9, 2010 #3 of 54
    bsdbytes

bsdbytes New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I think the service looks great, even in SD. There isn't a ton in HD but they are constantly adding titles.

4. Oct 9, 2010 #4 of 54
  5. Oct 9, 2010 #5 of 54
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005

Advertisements

Even in SD netflix streaming looks great. I have a 56 inch TV and it looks wonderful.

6. Oct 9, 2010 #6 of 54
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have a 72 in dlp and I do not have a problem with netflix or streaming with the Premiere

7. Oct 9, 2010 #7 of 54
    drvman02

drvman02 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I have to say that I thought netflix was only OK. I only found a few things in HD worth watching and they didn't play in complete HD most of the time.

It was nice to have a lot of selections, but I really want more HD titles before I try again.

Also no ability to select titles from TiVo is annoying.

8. Oct 9, 2010 #8 of 54
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You can select titles through the HDUI TiVo Search, as long as the title shows the Netflix icon, that is.

9. Oct 9, 2010 #9 of 54
    ItsRounder

ItsRounder New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    This doesn't work with SD menus though is that correct? All I see in "available from" is Amazon content.

10. robin50

robin50 Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I think the quality depends somewhat on your internet connection speed. I tried it with a couple of titles and was not that impressed with the picture quality and the movie would stop and then start again. Then again I am getting only about 1 to 1.5 Mbps down from my wireless provider (tested using Speakeasy.net). I think the quality guage when streaming a Netflix movie was 8 bars out of 10---did you happen to notice how many bars you were getting?

11. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    Netflix streams HD around 4 or 5 Mbps, to me it looks DVD quality at best. Bluray runs between 20 and 40Mbps, personally I skip Netflix and rent Bluray instead.

12. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Netflix sucks on TiVo for me for a few reasons:

Searching for a show then using the episode guide to find out what's available on Netflix is pretty bad because sometimes the episode guide had an episode listed multiple times or episodes Netflix has don't show up with a Netflix button, and thus can't be played unless they're added to your Instant Quene online.

We should be able to search within the Netflix app and browse Netflix suggestions and movies/episodes available. TiVo search works very poorly for Netflix content.

13. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Dunno. I don't use the SD menus on my Premiere.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Very few Netflix applications in devices allow you to search. Roku is one of them.
    The new update coming in a few weeks for the Xbox 360 has a new Netflix application that will allow you to search. It's coming to the PS3 as well.(it might be there already. I have not turned my PS3 on in a while)
    But as of right now it is rare to find Netflix search capability in any Set Top Boxes.

15. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    YOu can search Netflix on new Apple Tv.

I've tried Netflix on the 360, Wii, new ATV and Tivo.

Tivo's implementation was by bar the worst.

First, all you can see is your instant queue. No other filtering like the other guy's have.

Second, crashed on me 3 times in a row as I tried to scroll down to the end of my instant queue.

I haven't been back.

16. kilcher

kilcher New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    We signed up for the free trial of Netflix a few days ago, had never used NF before. I streamed a few minutes of G.I. Joe just to see how it worked and I thought the image quality was sub-par too.

And am I missing something or is there no way to search for movies and add them to your instant queue? It looks like you have to do that part from the computer or iPhone app.

17. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You can use the TiVo Search in the HDUI to find Netflix content.

Unfortunately, anything found through TiVo Search cannot be added to the Instant Queue. It is a hassle if you find a TV series that you'd like to watch - Going to the episode guide portion of the TiVo Search for each episode you want to watch seems to be a few steps too many...

18. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    I don't like the fact that you can't remove individual episodes from a TV series. We sometimes forget where we left off and have to poke through the descriptions to figure it out.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm sure they will update the netflix application at some point. although the question is when. Most of the other major Netflix players will be upgrading their application soon. Personally I like the TiVo implementation of netflix. Of course you can't add anything or delete anything in your queue, but just to sit down and watch something I prefer to use the TiVo over my 360, PS3, and of course the Wii.

I still might go to the dark side and buy an Apple TV(I've never owned any Apple hardware) once they get them in stock at Bestbuy, since it won't cost me anything with my reward zone dollars.

20. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have been watching Netflix more and more on my PS3. It's a much better experience.